RC Qualifier

free antenna mod

hi
    i have been seeing lots of people with heaps of antenna wire hanging out at the top of the tube.

here is the solution:

and here it is tuck away... out of sight, out of mind

BTW i have not yet noticed that the range is altered at all. im still getting 50 to 75 meters, which is plenty for a car this size!

heres how to do it...

cut i little bit of fuel tubing or antenna cap (the little black thing you put on the top of your antenna) off (2-3mm)

then push it over some needle nosed pliers

then push the two handles of the pliers apart to stretch the tube and put it over the bundled up antenna wire.

and it all done.

thanks for reading
    Last edited by concreat; 07-30-2009 at 03:01 AM.
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Qualifier
    totally forgot about this photo.

this one show how much wire i have sticking out.

GARAGE

RC Qualifier
    Just so you know theres a reason the antenna is that long.............also jus buy a 2.4 radio and dnt even worry about the antenna sticking out
    keep your mouth closed and let your eyes listen

RC Qualifier
    yer, i'm saving up for a 2.4 ghz system at the moment! im thinking of getting the tower one... cause one of my racer buddies has one and he recons it great.
    GARAGE

RC Racer
    Hey if it doesnt hurt range why not. It is easily reversible. I might try it as well. Good idea. This is a lot better then cutting the wire.

RC Champion
    Be advised you are affecting range and possibly introducing glitches by having a bundle of antenna wire below the motor.

There is a reason for the length of the antenna! NEVER cut it. It should not be coiled or bundled in tight wraps.

Simplist solution is to spiral wrap the excess around and down the antenna tube leaving it spaced apart about 3/8 inch and not in tight coils. Your fuel tubing trick works very well for anchoring the end of the spiral wrap, and usually traxxas gives you a little rubber beveled ring for this anchor.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    Hey if it doesnt hurt range why not. It is easily reversible. I might try it as well. Good idea. This is a lot better then cutting the wire.
    definitely..
    GARAGE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
    Be advised you are affecting range and possibly introducing glitches by having a bundle of antenna wire below the motor.

There is a reason for the length of the antenna! NEVER cut it. It should not be coiled or bundled in tight wraps.

Simplist solution is to spiral wrap the excess around and down the antenna tube leaving it spaced apart about 3/8 inch and not in tight coils. Your fuel tubing trick works very well for anchoring the end of the spiral wrap, and usually traxxas gives you a little rubber beveled ring for this anchor.

but omg that little ring is a pain to put on
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Qualifier
    are you guys even reading his post?

he's not shortening the antenna wire, or the tube, he's just putting the excess wire at the bottom as opposed to the top, this will have zero adverse effects on range and or performance.

RC Qualifier
    i have the extra wire of mini banded up INSIDE the receiver box and only about a half of an inch sticking out of the top and ive had no problems at all.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Qualifier
    for sure a more clean solution to the stock antenna wire issue.. nicely done!

RC Qualifier
    I too just shortened the wire and put the excess in the receiver box. Looks nice and no mess.

RC Competitor
    i just run the extra wire aroung the tube and tape the end down.. works great 4 all my traxxas rcs
    Revo 3.3 Rustler 2.5r
    1/16 E-Revo VXL Losi Mini T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revoracer95
    i just run the extra wire aroung the tube and tape the end down.. works great 4 all my traxxas rcs
    until you lid skid enough for it to rip the wire.

RC Competitor
    I too shorten my wires and put the excess wire in the receiver box.

RC Qualifier
    Heck, I just cut the excess wire.. I still get great range. Atleast more than enough for me.
    E-Maxx 3905 and 3906. :D

RC Qualifier
    i stripped my truck down to dye the chassis and rockers and to install my bearings, so at the same time i put the little coil that i made inside the RX box... now it look much cleaner!
    GARAGE

RC Champion
    Hey .... I forgot you guys like to grind down your antenna tubes .... If it works .... tuck it away and go for it!!
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.