RC poster

stuck in 2nd gear??!?

ok so last weekend i did my first wreck...i ripped off the whole front end of car and had to replace the bulkheads, steering bellcranks and the top chassis plate....so it was my first time takin this sucker apart and it wasnt that bad i changed everythin and when i was taking it apart i took off the spur gear cause i have a 58t i wanted to put it instead of the stock one but i decided i would jus put the stock one on until i made sure the car was good after i finished puttin it together...so anyway i finally get it back together and my throttle linkage was waaaaay off and i found that weird but i adjusted it to the servo and its good now but my problem is that when i go the car does its jato thing and just takes off but once it goes fast and i slow down the car goes really slow and im pretty sure its stuck in second gear cause i hold the throttle down all the way and it barely goes past 5mph so what i have to do is come to a stop and give it a couple seconds then go and it goes fast again or hit a bump while its goin slow then the car drops gear and goes fast again until i let off the gas then its stuck on slow....what do u guys think it can be???is it stuck in gear?

RC Racer
    if you look through the diagrams for the transmission you will see the cam 2nd gear has a cam that comes out .. i know its rough but you should prolly take apart your tranny, clean it out, and check on that 2nd gear cam, and apply some lithium grease to the gears that are specified with a star on the diagram . . .

RC poster
    we it really be the tranny though cause i didnt really touch it when i was fixin it i barely even moved the motor could it be possible that the slipper was too tight because when i hit bumps it dropped back into first...

RC Racer
    if you look @ the diagrams, you will understand why hitting bumps drops it from second gear . . its possible this is a totally unrelated issue to you taking it apart, if its sticking in second gear its only possible its something within the transmission i'd take it off the car, it sounds like dirt or gunk, or . . i dunno . .a spring in the 2nd gear . . .

what happens in there is your first gear spins, it builds speed, when the centrifugal force is enough to engage second gear, an arm comes out of second gear and locks it since its bigger it spins faster than first gear so the one way bearing in first lets go and second takes over . . . when the centrifugal force drops due to slowing down, braking, releasing the go juice button . . the arm retracts and first gear engages once again . . . your issue is wit hthe second gear cam . . junk, dirt, needs some lube, or the spring is broken that retracts it !!!

RC poster
    kk man guess ill be takin this sucker apart again toniteeee

RC poster
    i didnt get to take it apart this weekend but i did take apart the slipper clutch to find out that the metal plate wasnt in right and i put it together right and still it get stuck idkkk lol i dont feel like takin the whole tranny apart haha im pretty sure the car was in 1st when i crashed(into a parked car LOL) so i dont see y the second gear would be affected....this suckssss