RC Qualifier

Connecting revo style center shafts to a 2.5 trans- pics

So, I wanted to share a mod with you guys that are sick of twisting up 2.5 center driveshafts. Basically I connected revo 3.3 center shafts to Tmaxx 2.5 trans yokes.

Revo center

Tmaxx trans yoke

assemle with the revo u-joint & two small washers on the outside before putting on the c-clips. trim the shafts enough to be able to install with the trans in the truck. These pics are of my daughters maxx.

In the front the chassis, throttle mount & rear screws need to be trimmed a little to clear the u-joint/washers

a couple more pics

I have put time on these shafts with a .18tz in my sons maxx & now a mildly ported 2.5 with a 3.3 crank in my daughters maxx. They have held up well!
    carbon fiber 3.3 o.s..18tz

RC Qualifier
    very cool mod !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsuba
    very cool mod !
    thanks, the best part for me is it was free. I had extra centers layin around & the washers are from my junk drawer. Thats why I didn't list the washer size,lol.

RC Champion
    I need some clarification because I looked at this very scenario just hours ago. Did you use yokes from your 2.5 shafts to fit onto the 3.3 shafts? Arent the pin sizes different? Did you drill them? How did that part work out?
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER
    I need some clarification because I looked at this very scenario just hours ago. Did you use yokes from your 2.5 shafts to fit onto the 3.3 shafts? Arent the pin sizes different? Did you drill them? How did that part work out?
    yup, the yokes are from the 2.5 shafts (the trans side) & the small pin of the revo style u-joint fits through the 2.5 yoke with no drilling.

RC Champion
    I gotta check that again because I just did a chassis swap and I needed longer shafts to use with my black tranny and 4908 chassis. I have those Revo shafts but I couldn't see a way to fit them. I ended up swapping yolks with the wheel axles and trimming to length. Its too bad you didn't post this earlier this morning . When those fail, I'll have to try your idea. Maybe by then I will come up with shorter pins so I won't need the washers. Great Job!

RC Qualifier
    Man, I've been meaning to post it for a long time now too. I'm way too lazy when it comes to my two finger typing, lol. If you can find shorter pins that would be great cause it would make it a drop in aside from trimming the shafts to length.

RC Champion
    It would be even more of a drop in because I'm using the longer chassis although the black tranny may be a pinch longer then the gray one.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. But I just went with a dogbone in the rear. You can get the cups from UE or traxxas and if you then the 4908 model you will need a longer dogbone than the 4908 so I used the HPI Savage front dogbone
    My Mind Wandered
    And it never came back

RC Champion
    This is great! I wanted to do the reverse of what you did. I installed 4908 diffs into my 4910. I wanted to use my stock 4910 drive shafts with the new diffs. You used 2.5 yokes with 3.3 shafts, I wanted to use 3.3 yokes with 2.5 shafts. I ended up modifying the 2.5 yokes to fit onto the 4908 diffs, which took a while to get right (thanks to tphill for his help with this, I wouldn't have been able to do it without his help). This is fantastic though, because questions about the modded parts' integrity have been in the back of my mind since I did the installation of the diffs. So next time I go to the hobby shop I will get some 3.3 yokes and shims so I can do the reverse of what you did the next time I have my truck apart. I applaud you for figuring this out, it could turn out to be quite useful. It is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of things .

*Edit* - Plus, with this type of setup, you can pop the e-clips off to take the u-joint apart instead of having to pop the u-joint apart. Those buggers are hard to pop on and off!
    Last edited by Petox20; 07-02-2009 at 05:49 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Whoa a 2.5 with a 3.3 crank??? do a right up on how to do that =D

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeadman
    Looks good. But I just went with a dogbone in the rear. You can get the cups from UE or traxxas and if you then the 4908 model you will need a longer dogbone than the 4908 so I used the HPI Savage front dogbone
    thanks man, I'm sure the dogbone is stronger, this is kind of a extra parts mod.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petox20
    This is great! I wanted to do the reverse of what you did. I installed 4908 diffs into my 4910. I wanted to use my stock 4910 drive shafts with the new diffs. You used 2.5 yokes with 3.3 shafts, I wanted to use 3.3 yokes with 2.5 shafts. I ended up modifying the 2.5 yokes to fit onto the 4908 diffs, which took a while to get right (thanks to tphill for his help with this, I wouldn't have been able to do it without his help). This is fantastic though, because questions about the modded parts' integrity have been in the back of my mind since I did the installation of the diffs. So next time I go to the hobby shop I will get some 3.3 yokes and shims so I can do the reverse of what you did the next time I have my truck apart. I applaud you for figuring this out, it could turn out to be quite useful. It is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of things .

*Edit* - Plus, with this type of setup, you can pop the e-clips off to take the u-joint apart instead of having to pop the u-joint apart. Those buggers are hard to pop on and off!
    Thank you, its definitely a "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of thing. It wouldn't surprise me if its been done before & just not been posted (that I know of).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nhra747
    Whoa a 2.5 with a 3.3 crank??? do a right up on how to do that =D
    It fits the same as the 2.5 crank (same stroke), I read about it on here before I did it myself. Hers a thread thread from earlier.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=481581