Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    I got the steering set-up and the mud guards in the mail. I decided to not put the mud guards on until I get the body to make sure I place them so the body fits tight. I did however mount the steering and it fits very nicely. I had to trim the bulkheads slightly because of clearance issues and had to move the steering rack from the tops of the bell cranks to the bottoms. It looks like this will provide good steering geometry. I'm very happy how the steering fits into place.

I'm awaiting the Revo driveshafts so I can cut them down to make the center shaft. The Tekno 36mm motor mount should be here later in the week.
    Last edited by EDS24; 03-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    I got the Revo shafts today for the center. I have finals for school tomorrow and Friday (high school..*rolls eyes*) and a soccer game Friday. I will hopefully update this weekend.

RC poster
    Looking good... enjoy watching the progress

You are inspiring me - so far, I'm not acting on it

RC Champion
    very nice!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

After a busy week of school and soccer and getting a job at a local movie theater.. I made some progress on the Evo8. First I cut up the Revo drive shafts and put a male half shaft in the middle of two female shafts to make the center drive shaft. Then I cut up the Rc8 steering top plate so the drive shaft could fit. I also had to grind a slot in the bulkhead upper deck because of drive shaft clearance issues. After I got the center drive shaft taken care of I took the parts I had used from the Slayer drive-shafts on the center diff and replaced them with the new Revo drive-shaft parts so that I had complete Slayer drive-shafts.

I got the mudguards mounted and had to cut down the chassis slightly in the front to make them line up. I think those turned out great.

Next, I mounted the Tekno motor mount by drilling slots in the chassis. As you can see from the pictures its alittle crooked so I will have to fix that with alittle bit more drilling.

Lastly, I got a piece of black vinyl from a teacher at school for free and decided to try wrapping the chassis in it. Its a little bit shinier than I would like and also has quiet a few air bubbles in it. I figure you won't see too much of the top of the chassis once all the electronics are in place.I didn't wrap the top decks yet becuase I'm still trying to decide if I like it.. what do you guys think? I know on the bottom with the vinyl or with it I will probably be a lexan chassis guard and so I really wouldn't need the vinyl on the bottom since I would paint the chassis guard black.

I also just ordered some 17mm adapters from a guy used for $7 shipped. He isn't sure what brand they are but he says they will fit so I'm hoping they will do.

RC Competitor
    Got a small update. I got the 14mm adapters in the mail which I picked up used for $7 shipped. Not a bad deal in my mind. They are Ofna adapters that have been de-anodized and they fit quiet well.

I also wrapped the top decks to see how it would look. I think the "blackness" looks good but again the shininess makes it look cheap. You can all see the bubbles on the lower chassis more in the picture below. Most of them will not be visible when I put the battery tray and all the electronics in it. I will eventually be making a new chassis which will be anodized though for a better look. Just wanted to experiment with the vinyl. Who knows some flat black or carbon vinyl might look better.

Next I will be making front chassis stiffeners that will connect the upper deck and lower chassis.
    As far as upcoming purchases.. I will be buying some steering turnbuckles, a plastic Ae 50t spur gear, a body, and I might pick up some wheels.

I'm going out to the garage to work on the chassis stiffeners right now so look for a small update soon :nod:

Very nice Craftsmanship there.

RC Champion
    hey that is awesome! keep it up!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Enthusiast
    what happened to this thread? I was following it with intentions of doing something similar.

RC Competitor
    Been really busy lately. I hope to continue soon once I start getting paychecks from my new job.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome. I cannot wait!

RC Champion
    next time its torn down, take a needle and poke a hole in the airbubbles, then smooth it out. also you can take a small torch or heat gun or hot hair dryer and spread the heat around on the chassis to smooth out the vinyl
    As of 4-1-10 im back in the rc scene

RC Competitor
    Now that schools out I have a lot more time for my projects and too work so I can fund them.

I dug out this project and I drew up a new chassis for this so I can cut it out. The old one was too weak and alot of the holes weren't exactly in the right places. Hopefully this new chassis will be stronger and fit better. I also will be re-making the upper chassis's as they aren't up to spec as far as the holes matching up.

I have a ordered a body for it...and will be ordering tires and wheels for it along with the other parts I will need to complete this.

I'm going to be redesigning the battery mounting system and also revising the steering and motor mounting.

I'm putting so much effort into making this as nice as a conversion as I can because I will be sending off to a friend of mine who is a very good racer for him to put electronics in it and do some testing for me.He will be racing it, taking pictures, and taking videos for me. I myself don't have the money to put electronics in this nor do I have the money to race it. I have to have it to him by July 5th so the end of this month is my deadline.

In other words... I'm start pretty close to fresh..and have a month to do it..Stay tuned for progress.
    Last edited by EDS24; 06-02-2010 at 03:06 AM.

RC Competitor
    I got the new chassis Cut out, drilled,and filed today. I got most of the stuff to line up better but I will have to do some small adjustments to it to get everything to line up correctly.

I also got the body today. Its Jconcepts Rc8e Hi-flow body. After some trimming I got it to fit pretty well. I'm debating wither or not to make scoop like think to cover up the front shocks or not.
    Unfortunately.. my painter says he won't be able to paint the body before the deadline because he doesn't have enough time... so now I will either have to find someone else to paint it for free or rattle can it myself. If anyone is interested in helping me out and donating a paint job to me that would be great. The project is on many forums and I will also be sending pictures to magazines...so the paint job would be seen. It would be a pity to have this project turn out sick and then end up having to put a crappy paint job on top of it. Let me know if any of you guys with mad airbrushing skills can help me out. I would need the body done by the 25th or so. Thanks

Next, I will be remaking the upper chassis plates and making a front chassis brace out of 1/4" lexan.

Oh yea.. and some pictures

Last edited by EDS24; 06-04-2010 at 02:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice project and great work. I can't seem to give my e-slayer away so I think I'm going to box it up and copy your project in the future once you get the test results back. Keep up the good work.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EDS24
    ... be a pity to have this project turn out sick and then end up having to put a crappy paint job on top of it. Let me know if any of you guys with mad airbrushing skills can help me out. I would need the body done by the 25th...
    what design did you have in mind?
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Competitor
    Mulepic: Thanks man. I have copies of the drawings I used for the parts I made if your interested once I get everything tested and stuff.

Slasher: I think I'm just gonna paint it myself. Thanks though.

RC Qualifier
    ok. if you need another one done, just lmk. also, after the tests i might have to take some plan designs too...

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks slasher =) Alright sounds good.

Ordered a big order of parts last night...should be here later in the week.. in the mean time I will continue working on stuff like the chassis braces and new battery tray.

RC poster
    Looking great!
    Brilliantly simple diff outdrive design.
    Should look brill and absolutely fly once it's finished

RC Competitor
    Small update..today I got a shipment of parts...I got:

Team Associated Rc8 Black Wing

Team Associated Rc8-e motor mount

Team Associated RC8 Plastic Spur 50t

Team Associated Rc8 Steel Steering TurnBuckles

Traxxas Screws

Traxxas Slash Decals

Traxxas Revo Decals

Traxxas Variable Dampening Kit

Traxxas Slayer Springs Double Purple

Traxxas Slayer Springs Double Black

Because it was so hot today I felt like doing some de-anodizing. So I went to good will and got a $2 pot. Then went to Lowe's found some Greased Lighting. Went home poured the Greased Lightning in the pot and put all the blue parts in. I let them sit for about 20 minutes while shaking the pot everyonce in awhile. I took them out and used a high pressure water sprayer to spray them off. I learned this is a very important step because otherwise they will oxidize and turn blackish. The 17mm hubs I had bought had been thru the same process but weren't sprayed off so I re-did the process on them

BEFORE

AFTER

Ah thats much better.The next step would be to get these Anodized red.. but I don;t have the money to get them anodized and I will also be selling this project once I'm finished I will just leave them like this. I figure silver matches red and black alot better then blue.
    I have been working on the battery mounts and chassis stiffeners and hope to show you guys those mounted up soon.

Curious? What do you plan to sell it for?

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure yet.. I'm thinking to start it somewhere around $250 for a roller. Its hard to a put a price on a custom car. Especially considering all the man hours put into this project. So we'll just see.

RC Competitor
    With only a week till I have to take pictures of this project finished I figured it was time to get down to business. Today I spent about 3 hours in the hot garage working on the buggy. I got the chassis braces completely mounted, the front of the battery mounting system finished and mounted, and the shocks mounted on the new upper chassis. Oh and I also got the steering linkages bolted on and they fit perfectly. The front in is basically finished..I just have to fit a servo linkage and mount the servo mounts. Yesterday I worked some on the rear of the buggy so its not too far behind.

I also recieved a couple feet of matte black vinyl that I got off of ebay for cheap. I figure that I can try wrapping the chassis and upper chassis's with it to see what it looks like. I think that it will actually look good if I can do it with out all the air bubbles. I think what made my last vinyl wrap job look bad was the vinyl was shiny and had lots of air bubbles it it. So I will try again with the matte black. Just to see and if it looks good I will take the finished pictures of it with the vinyl on it.

Oh and sorry about the small low quality pictures large high quality ones will be taken when I'm finished.

RC Competitor
    Another small update....

Today I was exciting becuase I got the tires and wheels in.

I decided it would be a good day to try my 2nd chemical "experiment" so i decided to dye the rockers and wheels black to match the rest of the buggy...

Before:

After:

Anybody else getting excited yet??

RC Racer
    Looking good....Now I wish I still had mine to try something like this out....

RC Qualifier
    very nice! again just lmk if you need a paint job done. I will be ready if you need me to do one!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher5225
    very nice! again just lmk if you need a paint job done. I will be ready if you need me to do one!
    I finished painting the body..and sorta wishing I would have sent it to you lol it was a pain in the ***...put some window trim on it.. decided I didn't like it.. so had to scrap it off.

Anyway no pics of the body yet

I finished the battery compartment today. It is a quick release set-up. At one end is a screw that acts as a hinge while at the other end their is a pin (screw) that I cut the top off and screwed on end into a thumb screw. You unscrew the rod using the thumb screw and then pull the pin and the battery strap can pivot upwards. On the side I decided to do some work with the scroll saw and cut out the buggie's name. I will be painting all these parts since they are lexan. Next I just have to finish up the back of the buggy and make wing mounts and body mounts. I'll be working on that stuff tomarrow and friday.

Finished pictures.....Saturday night.
    Last edited by EDS24; 06-16-2010 at 11:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I finished painting the body..and sorta wishing I would have sent it to you lol it was a pain in the ***...
    Dont worry, not all bodies come out perfect. If you do happen to get another body before you send in the pics (or if I stumble apon one I can paint) I will tell you and see if I cant hook you up with it. Looking good though too!

EDIT: Check your PM box, I sent you a design for possible future bodies
    Last edited by Slasher5225; 06-17-2010 at 10:03 AM.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys took it to the track for a photoshoot. It was the last chance I had to get it to the track for this. The roller is pretty much done. I have a few things I have to do like mount body posts, make small adjustments, set it up correctly, and mount servo mounts. I also am having problems with the center diff spinning freely so I have to fix that tomarrow. But other than that the roller is DONE! I'm shipping this out hopefully Monday priority mail to my friend in Michigan for him to load it up with electronics.. he will take pictures of it with the electronics in it..then do some testing on the track.. I will report back with the pics and with test results.. if everything goes good he will be racing it July 10th. Also be looking for videos. Now to the pics!

RC Champion
    That is insane!!!!!!! very nice!!!!!!!!!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    That is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen! Why doesnt Traxxas make this?
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Champion
    It came out looking very good.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Racer
    i can really see a company wanting to buy your design, its amazing how its set up, i would buy that if it was in stores
    Revo 3.3
    1/16 E-Revo
    Losi Mini-T

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER
    That is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen! Why doesnt Traxxas make this?
    Traxxas really should make a buggy, they would widen there market to many more racers
    Last edited by zmcracing46; 06-21-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    Revo 3.3
    1/16 E-Revo
    Losi Mini-T

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys took it to the track for a photoshoot. It was the last chance I had to get it to the track for this. The roller is pretty much done. I have a few things I have to do like mount body posts, make small adjustments, set it up correctly, and mount servo mounts. I also am having problems with the center diff spinning freely so I have to fix that tomarrow. But other than that the roller is DONE! I'm shipping this out hopefully Monday priority mail to my friend in Michigan for him to load it up with electronics.. he will take pictures of it with the electronics in it..then do some testing on the track.. I will report back with the pics and with test results.. if everything goes good he will be racing it July 10th. Also be looking for videos. Now to the pics!

that is just....(can't think of a word to discribe how AWESOME it looks!!!)
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Competitor
    wow guys thanks for all the really nice comments! It really helps to make all the hard work and time worth it. Thanks alot! and gets me motived to do other projects. I really like how it turned out.. as far as looks now the real test is the track test. I think Traxxas should make a 1/8th buggy and truggy too. I think they have skilled enough engineers that they could design something competitive at a good price.

Finally I'm finished with this project...well for now..

I spent all yesterday trying to figure out why the center diff wasn't turning the rear diff smoothly. I ended up having to shim it with a spacer plate I made out of a divider you would find in fishing takkle box. I also replaced the rear out put on the center diff with the stock Rc8 outdrive and epoxied a pin in the output shaft of the revo diff. This is much smoother. I just up it will hold up. Last night I stayed up till about 3:30 doing finishing touch type of stuff like counter sinking the chassis, making body mounts,installing sway bars, making a extra battery compartment part, and generally making sure everything was ready for testing. I finished everything up this morning and packed it up and took it to the post office.. Should get to my friend on thursday. I was going to insure it.. but they said if it got lost I would need a receipt to make a claim with usps. Well how the heck do you have a receipt for a custom creation??? Anyway.. took a couple last pictures of it before I sent it out.. The creator with the creation

RC Qualifier
    you sold it? hope your friend is on the fourm!
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Champion
    No, he is sending it to a friend in Michigan to have the electronics installed. That's what I have gathered, anyway.

Nice build! I'm anxious to hear how it performs, looks like it should work well, fine tuning should be pretty easy also. I don't know if you can, but if possible could you get some comparison shots to another 8th scale buggy, just to see differences? That'd be awesome.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Qualifier
    very nice. been following the project on another forum.

If traxxas isn't interested, wouldn't mind seeing you team up with another aftermarket manufacturer to make this conversion a production ready reality.

By the way, how is access to the motor screws? any thoughts on using an eliteRC motor mount instead? I know that for the Hyper 9E and other cars, these have been great to work with.