Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

Pre-runner Buggy Build

Building a caged chassis pre-runner buggy. I had a few hours today to make progress so here we go. (These tires are for perspective only) It will be running a Slash trans and my rear arms out back. Up front I am debating on running a modified Slash front end I have or the metal arms I have already built. It will have an aluminum body. Big travel at the wheels. Axles are the only thing that scares me now.

RC Racer
    How does this look for a body? I am considering something along those lines.

RC Racer
    Going to run the modified slash front end first. Mocked up nicely. Should be seeing about 3-3/4" travel there. Shooting for the chassis to slam at full bump. If I could only make bump stops happen there....

RC Qualifier
    Looks sweet be keeping an eye on this!

RC Champion
    Solid axle or independent rear? This build looks like it is going to add up to a great one and can't wait to see it continue.
    Slash 4x4, Rusty VXL(project), Slash 2wd(project).

RC Racer
    Independent rear, trailing arm program. That is next w/e's agenda. Trying to have it standing on its own. The only bummer is single shock pper wheel.

RC Racer
    Once done,Version 2 will be this:

RC Racer
    Just saw a thread in the 4x4 forum regarding axles. E Maxx or Jato will do the trick. Good information there. Cheap alternative to broken axles, super size them!

RC Champion
    So you are building a truggy? You should try building a class 1 with trailing arms, I would also recommend a slash front/rear end, the setup is bullet proof.

RC Qualifier
    some nice tube work there. you're off to a good start.

RC Racer
    96 m/h, basically a class 1 car, with trailing arms. Single shock with I hope bump stops out back. Rear axles have been holding up the trailing arms because they will be my "micro stubs" if you will. I will get by my lhs on Friday that has all the traxxas parts to figure out the bearing carrier. Wish I had a machine shop, I'd be driving by now. Its supposed to get just shy of 3-3/4" travel all the way around.
    A truggy like the Herbsts run would be cool as well.

RC Champion
    I used e revo 1/16 shocks for bump stops on my tt.

RC Champion
    Sweet, in January when I'm licensed i'll head over towards hemet to bash with you if its done.

RC Racer
    E revo 1/16 shocks for bump stops? Do you have a pic of that? I've been looking at internal spring shocks.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    glad to see this thing on its way. Cant wait to see it finished!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    I like your bump stops bro. Lol I was thinking of doing a similar concept on my truck later on
    Slash 4x4 spc powered

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Now those are cool! A+ in ingenuity.

RC Racer
    For sure on ingenuity. How firm is the shock setup? Does it actually work? Sean, we'll bash somewhere.

RC Champion
    I bent 1 mount once, I just bent it back into shape though. The reason it bent was because my upper mount for my axle was tweaked causing the axle to be misaligned and the bump stop to hit the silver mount to the right.

RC Racer

My LHS has been gladly taking my money, however, my local hardware store isn't so lucky. They didn't have all the heims I need to run at the rear arms (at almost $9 a pop as well) so I made temp arms to try to engineer the real ones. NOT! I will be paying a visit to my fastener guy sometime next week to get the heims and some misc. hardware to put it together right the first time. Slowly but surely it will come together!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The scale looks right on. Are those savage shocks in back???

RC Racer
    Yeah, a little more than 1/2" too long for the application but I will make them work with creative mounts.

RC Champion
    Looks good! What's the wheelbase?

RC Racer
    Wheelbase was "concept drawn" at 13", just like the slash. I should have 1/4" of adjustment +/- thru the heims. Running T Maxx axles and bearing carriers so they hopefully wont break. I should have built this out of aluminum to shed weight. That will be version 2.

RC Racer
    Wow... Lookin' cool..!!

RC Racer
    Got to add some more bars last night. Slowly but surely....

Do you know what axle you will use?

RC Racer
    RPM tranny case with E Maxx axles. Should be pretty much bullet proof. I still have to fab the torsion tube and plates to mount the front end. Its going to be a bolt on arrangement to be able to adjust the front rake angle to where ever it works best. This also allows me to put some aluminum into it to shed some weight. Hopefully that will all happen this weekend. Triangulating the rear arms is looking to be a pain.

RC Racer
    More progress. I will have better pics tomorrow, phone pics are going way too slow, so here are 2 that cooperated.

Rear a arms are basically done and appear to work well with the desired camber change.. I hope the E Maxx axles will have a fair amount of plunge, I'm getting 4-1/2" travel in the rear unlimited. Getting closer.......

RC Racer
    Here are a few more.

RC Champion
    Looks great! How do you like the gladiators on the dirt round here?

totally loving the rear suspension.

RC Qualifier
    When are preorders?

RC Enthusiast
    Man the way this is turning out, it's looking like this could turn into Batman's Tumbler 👍

RC Racer
    How do you like the gladiators on the dirt round here? - They work well if it's soft and at the track as well. Loose dust if you will isn't that great. I personall like the tread of the panthers 1/8 scalers on my lcg. A bunch of pokey dots. Great everywhere except that the track ate the rears in about 3 hrs. Slick patch now down the middle 8^( It may end up with SC 8' s on it when it is all said and done, a little larger tire will look cool and help with bottoming issues. It actually has 5" travel out back, and buries a good inch after slamming the chassis. W/B is about 14", so it grew a little. About 1/2" w/b change thru the cycle.

RC Racer
    Home Depot is the best, just picked up more rod for the chassis and behold, they have 3x50 and larger metric hardware in a variety of lengths and styles. Various sizes of plastic spacers as well, all cheap!

RC Champion
    Alright thanks, what track are you running at, the one in winchester or airland?

RC Racer
    Pegasus. Hitting Airland on Vets weekend. Here are a few more of the progress. Need to finish welding. Bottoms out when the pan hits now.

Here are my favorite tires, Panthers. Love these things and they are cheap.

RC Champion
    Awesome this thing is gonna look great all welded up.