Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

My first runs on the E-Revo VXL

This is my first post!

I wanted to share my first impressions with everyone. My first run was with the stock battery pack. The truck was fast. I ran it in 3 inch high grass and the street in front of my house. Charging the stock pack at 1.2amps was painfully slow. Run time with stock pack was about 10mins. Battery was too hot to hold after the run!

Next I charged the Maxamps 3s lipos I bought weeks ago (I know you guys think they are over priced) and WOW, 3s in parallel is definitely the sweet spot for performance. Wheelies at any speed and ran insanely fast. Thermal shut down on the ESC with the stock pinion. Replaced pinion with Speed pinion. Wow so much fun. This truck runs just like the big E-Revo. Tears through grass with ease!

Next run with the lipos I found how easy it is to do forward and reverse back flips. Unfortunately this was a little too much and the rear drive shaft jumped off the metal u-joint and with my luck came off both ends so the metal u-joint was just gone. Looked for an hour for the little bugger and could not find it. Called Traxxas and was very honest about running 3s lipos and they are sending me a new drive shaft assembly for free. Great customer service experience! I think the drive shaft will hold up OK if not doing standing 360 flips.

The wing actually works as a pretty decent roll bar. Stock tires have gobs of traction and they do not seem to have any wear yet. Took some pretty decent rolls at high speed and did not break anything. I can’t wait to get running again. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them.

This truck is the most fun I have ever had with RC.

RC Champion
    would you recommend it for my friend that dose not have a traxxas yet???

but he wants vxl because he dose not what the motor to burn up
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    with all these awsome reviews i think i know what i am putting on my christmas list.
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bus7
    with all these awsome reviews i think i know what i am putting on my christmas list.
    haha ya we need christmas to be here now lol
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Competitor
    Yes I would recommend it for him (you will get one for yourself after playing with his). I would get him to buy stock battery packs and run 2 in parallel for about 20mins of run time at about 30mph. He can increase performance when he wants with the series adaptor and stock packs or use lipos if he wants the best from his truck (lipos not recommened for a novice).

I forgot to mention I used the stock radio and did not have a single glitch. I have a better radio system, but in my rush to run the truck used the stock radio system and it was working great for me.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G
    Yes I would recommend it for him (you will get one for yourself after playing with his). I would get him to buy stock battery packs and run 2 in parallel for about 20mins of run time at about 30mph. He can increase performance when he wants with the series adaptor and stock packs or use lipos if he wants the best from his truck (lipos not recommened for a novice).

I forgot to mention I used the stock radio and did not have a single glitch. I have a better radio system, but in my rush to run the truck used the stock radio system and it was working great for me.

ok thanks it sound really good i think i need to get one
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Wow, so you thermaled the ESC, but that was souly running in 3" tall grass, and only on the 3S Lipos? Not to shabby, consider the tremendous load the truck must have been under.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Competitor
    Yah the ESC could not take it with the stock pinion and Maxamps 3s lipos in parallel. I was running on a mix of grass and speed runs in the street only took a few minutes to kick off. Esc slowed the truck to 50% speed and then quickley shut down all together. Next run with speed pinion all was good.
    Last edited by Jimmy G; 06-17-2009 at 11:24 AM.

I was able to get about 25 minutes of run time with my stock pack. We hammered it at times, ran it around an indoor carpeted track and just all around bashed it. I did check the temps at the end of the session and the motor was at 140 degree. A 'self proclaimed Traxxas expert' that was there said that they thermal at 160 and will shut down. No one could verify this and like I said he was self proclaimed. I would be interested in seeing what your temps were running that setup.

RC Competitor
    Themal overload is for the ESC only, not the motor. The motor was really hot! It was too hot to touch. Was your stock battery really hot?

RC Champion
    This is my first post!

I wanted to share my first impressions with everyone. My first run was with the stock battery pack. The truck was fast. I ran it in 3 inch high grass and the street in front of my house. Charging the stock pack at 1.2amps was painfully slow. Run time with stock pack was about 10mins. Battery was too hot to hold after the run!

Next I charged the Maxamps 3s lipos I bought weeks ago (I know you guys think they are over priced) and WOW, 3s in parallel is definitely the sweet spot for performance. Wheelies at any speed and ran insanely fast. Thermal shut down on the ESC with the stock pinion. Replaced pinion with Speed pinion. Wow so much fun. This truck runs just like the big E-Revo. Tears through grass with ease!

Next run with the lipos I found how easy it is to do forward and reverse back flips. Unfortunately this was a little too much and the rear drive shaft jumped off the metal u-joint and with my luck came off both ends so the metal u-joint was just gone. Looked for an hour for the little bugger and could not find it. Called Traxxas and was very honest about running 3s lipos and they are sending me a new drive shaft assembly for free. Great customer service experience! I think the drive shaft will hold up OK if not doing standing 360 flips.

The wing actually works as a pretty decent roll bar. Stock tires have gobs of traction and they do not seem to have any wear yet. Took some pretty decent rolls at high speed and did not break anything. I canít wait to get running again. If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them.

This truck is the most fun I have ever had with RC.
    Hope you guy's know thet when using more than the 2S 7.4V you must switch to the extra pinion gear traxxas gives you or everything will heat up...also when using more than the 7.4 V traxxas says run only on flat smooth ground.

Read the instructions low voltage for off road use only.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I can see some smoking their new minis quickly..

RC Competitor
    Once the truck is up and running again I will test grass/offroad use with the 3s lipo speed pinion setup and let you know if I have any futher problems with overheating.

PS I read the instructions online about 10 times while waiting for my truck since mid may

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    I can see some smoking their new minis quickly..
    I know i read all these posts about throwing in 2 packs and running them off road and with the stock gear.... Don't anyone read instructions anymore?
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    I know i read all these posts about throwing in 2 packs and running them off road and with the stock gear.... Don't anyone read instructions anymore?

not to rip on anyone but......... I know what ya mean

RC Enthusiast
    How hot were the Maxamps pack getting?

RC Racer
    My motor was 170f and esc was 145f after thermal (stock pinion, 2x3s maxamps in parallel, tall grass and jumps). Instruction were read, but some of us just don't like to follow intructions! Thank God for thermal overload protection!

Today I'm going to try my 2x2s maxamps in parallel with stock pinion and see if I get same results. I'll report back. The stock battery had no problems but not enough power for me.

Oh, almost forgot! This truck is AWESOME! As much fun or more fun than my BEER!
    Sig edited for content.

RC Racer
    Hey Jimmy G maxamps claims 60+ using there batteries but dont say what gearing to use for that and since you thermaled the ESC with the stock gear what kind of speeds did you have before and after the gear change to the speed gear? Also is it that BIG of a difference between stock batteries in series vs the 3s lipo's?Thanks
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun
    Mini E-Revo Freaking AWESOME!

RC Competitor
    rippedr1 the maxamps packs were room temp after the runs, except the pack below the ESC it was a little warm because of the heat build up from the ESC.

RC Qualifier
    When you press the trigger lightly on the remote does, the revo bog a little? Seems like i can't take off slow when i press the trigger, is that normal since it's brushless?
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

RC poster
    This is my first post!
    Thermal shut down on the ESC with the stock pinion. Replaced pinion with Speed pinion. Wow so much fun.
    Thanks For the review....
    Which Pinion Gear changed for 3s Lipo ?(how many Tooth)
    can i get that part number?
    Revo3.3
    Rustler VXL
    FG Marder
    Revo Vxl ?

RC Competitor
    SpdFrkRR as far as 60+mph goes I dont have a radar gun. The truck gave some really fast speed runs with the stock gearing and 3s lipo setup but I think thermal shutdown is unaviodable in this set up even in onroad only runs. I was running on grass and onroad when it shut down.

I think the difference in speed is less than 5 or 6 mph between the stock pinion and the speed pinion. I think it is still in the upper 40mph range with the speed pinion and 3s parallel setup. (really fast and so much fun to drive people were stopping in cars and watching)

I did not buy a second stock battery or series adaptor to run a comparison with the lipos. On my Mamba (5400kv and 8000kv) Losi Mini T the lipos are night and day better at delivering the power to the motor.
    Last edited by Jimmy G; 06-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    Nino with lipos that is not really a problem.

RC Competitor
    nirojasi the pinion comes with the truck sorry not sure how many teeth.

RC Qualifier
    cool, guess lipos will be my next purchase. i loosened up the mesh on the pinion to be a little looser. That seemed to help so far. Awesome review by the way, appreciate your thoughts.
    Summit + Mini Revo = RC Bliss

RC Competitor
    nino thanx for the compliments. I have the same starting problems with the mamba on the Mini T and nimh batts.

RC Racer
    All This info being posted is awesome....I got the call today that my 1/16 e-revo is at the LHS waiting for me, Now I know what to do and not to do to keep the smoke from leaking out of the ESC....lol

I think I have decided on 2 2c 1550mah lipos in parallel with the "speed gearing "

sounds like the best all around set-up for the street and smooth dirt that I will be running on

RC Competitor
    Waiting by my mailbox for the replacement part so I can get running again

RC Racer
    what happened ??

RC Competitor
    Lost the metal u-joint in back drive shaft doing standing 360 flips with 3s lipos. Looked all over my street but could not find it. Traxxas is sending me a new drive shaft. Great customer service. I also ordered 2 more drive shafts from tower hobbies to have just in case. I figure parts will be scarce for awhile.

RC Qualifier
    Lost the metal u-joint in back drive shaft doing standing 360 flips with 3s lipos. Looked all over my street but could not find it. Traxxas is sending me a new drive shaft. Great customer service. I also ordered 2 more drive shafts from tower hobbies to have just in case. I figure parts will be scarce for awhile.
    I did the same thing, tried the 360 and the thing flew out..but luckily i heard it bounce and found it and put it in...i dont recommend doing that lol..its kinda of a hard hit on the bottom too when it gets to the floor...

Boone722
    I see in another thread someone had brake issues? Anyone here have any of those.I have had brushless before so it's not new.I am hearing some things that are putting me off going with this truck.I am and always been all Traxxas.But not sure yet.

RC Competitor
    At 50mph the truck comes to a stop in about 10ft. I think the brake is not so bad that it is a deal breaker. I am very happy with the performance of the truck.

Boone722
    JimmyG,
    No it's not only that.just curious with some smoked esc but I think that was misuse.I was just on Tower and ordered mine in red. Who am I kiddin I can't resist. Anyways it's father's day weekend.

RC Competitor
    I got the red too. Have fun with your new truck when you get it and happy fathers day to all!

Boone722
    I am sure I am far down on the list.But with the 25.00 off and they owe me shipping credit I can't go wrong.This truck will be a blast I am sure.Waiting for the brown truck to pull into the driveway.

RC Competitor
    Still waiting for my drive shaft.

RC Competitor
    Got the drive shaft and fixed the truck. Heading out to run it now Woohoo!

PS I also loosened the slipper a bit.

RC Competitor
    Crap slipper was too loose! Melted the friction material into the spur gear. Out of action till Wednesday again.

RC Enthusiast
    My lhs in covington,Georgia is selling the slash for 289.99 is that a good deal or not?