Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Hpi ******** or traxxas rustler?

i will be on the beach alot this summer and i want a stadium truck that can handle some jumps and turbulence and i want some speed, i dont want nitro cause i wont have time to keep going to a hobby shop to keep buying glow plugs, gas etc. so i wanna run electric any suggestions?

EDIT* i wanted to know if i should get a hpi firestorm since it was blocked out
    Last edited by tonyxmonaco; 05-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Revo 3.3
    4-tec 2.5(for sale pm me)
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Champion
    Well this is a Rustler forum so Rustler!
    No matter where you go there you are.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytraxx
    Well this is a Rustler forum so Rustler!
    see i like the rustler and theyre both verymuch the same but i wanna know which is faster and stuff this will be my 1st electric
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Qualifier
    rustler is one of the best a great all around truck if it was up to me i would get a rustler
    Rusty NOVAK GTB 3s 6400mah

RC Champion
    The rustler was my first.I dont have any knowledge of HPI. I started with 1 and now I have 5. That should say something.

RC Champion
    if you want an honest poll, post it on an unbiased forum like rctech or rcuniverse, i can tell you 99.9% of the posts here will say rustler, and 0.01% will be joking when they tell you otherwise
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

RC Racer
    it isnt that i dont like traxxas but hpi has a bigger selection...is the rustler brushless?
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Enthusiast
    lol. You're seriously asking for some biased feedback.

However, I can be an objective person.

One pro for the E-Firestorm is the all steel tranny and drivetrain, which translates into durability and brushless ready. Also, the E-storm is a good balance between bashing and racing.

Check out some vids on YouTube of the E-Firestorm. I've seen people take that thing 10ft in the air off skate ramps and land badly, but still keep on rolling fine.

The Rustler has a large fan base, so your LHS will most likely carry parts for the Rustler. However, I'm not saying your LHS doesn't carry E-storm parts, your mileage may vary. Just give them a call and see what they have available. There's always the option of ordering parts online or through the LHS.

I think the E-Firestorm looks better (just my opinion). I don't like how the rustler has those tacky chrome wheels.

I have a question, did you censor your title?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyxmonaco
    it isnt that i dont like traxxas but hpi has a bigger selection...is the rustler brushless?
    The Rustler XL-5 is not brushless. The VXL version is brushless.

The E-Firestorm is not brushless. The E-storm Flux version is brushless.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by newATrc
    no it came like that

well im looking for durable and for bashing on the beach i dont race that much
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like you could go either way. Check out videos on YouTube of both trucks and maybe that will help you decide.

EDIT: What is your budget? Do you plan on getting a brushless stadium truck?
    Last edited by newATrc; 05-28-2009 at 03:13 PM.

We've owned two E Savage and one Nitro Firestorm. If you want durable you DO NOT want the HPI cars. They broke if you looked at them wrong. Rustler is one of the most durable trucks out there and when it does break the parts are usually easy to find and it is so easy to work on. Rustler for the win in my book.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I used to have hpi on road cars never had a truck. Hpi was good but parts were hard to get a hold of sometimes and were pretty expensive. I do like the looks of their bodies more then traxxas but then again you can always buy one of their bodies and make it work on the rustler which is what I intend to do. But I love my rustler and it handles a lot of punishment.
    Probobly Broken Again :(

RC Champion
    i saw a video of a firestrom at top speed and it was 19mph and it didnt have a lot of tourque and obsioully not speed and it costs more than the rustler...i would go with the rustler also hpi dosent make all the replacment parts for models they dont make anymore..and there are a lot more replacment parts for rusty's and there a lot cheaper than hpi...now if u wanted a MT savage all the way there imposiable to break
    if its fast its a rustler

^^^ There was a guy at my hobbytown yesterday with a busted up savage. He was jumping it in the parking lot and busted up the whole front end. I wasn't to impressed.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    thats a supprise (im serious) if you go to utube and look at the savage ive got it video it should show you that jumping that truck isant a problem..and with the 48% warning im at 60% they are like over protective mom's you can swear in all the other major fourms like the toyz
    if its fast its a rustler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler135
    thats a supprise (im serious) if you go to utube and look at the savage ive got it video it should show you that jumping that truck isant a problem..and with the 48% warning im at 60% they are like over protective mom's you can swear in all the other major fourms like the toyz
    I agree with you if you're talking about the nitro version. I've read that the e-savage (not flux) does not even come close to the nitro version when it comes to durability.
    There are no dumb questions. Only those not asked.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newATrc
    lol. You're seriously asking for some biased feedback.

However, I can be an objective person.

One pro for the E-Firestorm is the all steel tranny and drivetrain, which translates into durability and brushless ready. Also, the E-storm is a good balance between bashing and racing.

Check out some vids on YouTube of the E-Firestorm. I've seen people take that thing 10ft in the air off skate ramps and land badly, but still keep on rolling fine.

The Rustler has a large fan base, so your LHS will most likely carry parts for the Rustler. However, I'm not saying your LHS doesn't carry E-storm parts, your mileage may vary. Just give them a call and see what they have available. There's always the option of ordering parts online or through the LHS.

I think the E-Firestorm looks better (just my opinion). I don't like how the rustler has those tacky chrome wheels.

Actually, the tranny's in all Rustlers are full metal Get the Rustler, you won't regret it
    Congatulations, you just read my signature

RC Champion
    Here's my latest (recorded) beach bash from a few weeks back. and some of my other videos have some decent jumps IMO. The beach is my favorite, and main bashing place!

check em if ya want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fEkx8lkjCM
    infowars.com

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by clowkoy
    I agree with you if you're talking about the nitro version. I've read that the e-savage (not flux) does not even come close to the nitro version when it comes to durability.
    Since you guys brought it up, I own an E-Savage, so this is first-hand experience and not, "I heard from this other forum that this one guy said that his buddy's mom's boyfriend... blah blah." The E-Savage is durable. Again, I am speaking from my experience. Of course, all experiences vary.

@TheCrazyBuckeye

I was under the impression that the XL-5 has a couple plastic gears. Is it the new stock of Rustlers that have the all steel tranny?

@Tiernan85

Nice HD video you got there. HD is the way to go.

RC Champion
    Personally, I'd want a Pede for in the sand. Wait for the waterproof version rolling out.
    Screamin stable of Lipo'd brushless power!

RC Champion
    yes all rustlers, bandits, slahes, stampedes now have metal gears if they are the vxl or the newer waterproof xl-5.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Enthusiast
    I'm looking at the official Traxxas pages and the new waterproof XL-5 series doesn't state anything about all steel gears. The VXL page does, so why wouldn't the new XL-5 be advertised as such? It would definitely be a large selling point.

Also, is Traxxas coming out with a waterproof VXL Rustler?

RC Qualifier
    i have both and i gotta say if you get a nice battery you will crush the firestorm any day
    HV-MAXX,MM RUSTY,MERV,BAJA SS, F104,B4,MINI T

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Raingler
    Personally, I'd want a Pede for in the sand. Wait for the waterproof version rolling out.
    well we never know when that comes out there isnt a release date and summer is in 2 weeks so i need one soon i probably will go with a brushless rustler
    is it waterproofed yet? and what is and ESC?
    Last edited by tonyxmonaco; 05-28-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Competitor
    my new xl5 has all metal gears which is why on the box it says brushless ready.

RC Champion
    the efirestorm was desinged by monkies. my friend got one and the esc fell off and it cannot fit a 7 cell. get a rustler
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Qualifier
    get a rustler get a rustler get a rustler
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

RC Racer
    is it cheaper to buy a rustler xl5 then buy brushless motor or just buy the whole package? btw im probably gonna start saving for a rustler
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

RC Champion
    Its cheaper to buy a brushless version up front. many have built up an xl5 to brushless status (myself included) and it's almost always more than buying a brushless version up front.

RC Competitor
    Yeah I wish I would have just gone brushless from the start. Gonna buy the brushless soon and just use my 2 month old rustler for spare parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak1
    Yeah I wish I would have just gone brushless from the start. Gonna buy the brushless soon and just use my 2 month old rustler for spare parts.
    Been there done that

RC Racer
    is the rustler vxl waterproof? if not can i buy aftermarket electronics that are waterproof?
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

Quote Originally Posted by tonyxmonaco
    is the rustler vxl waterproof? if not can i buy aftermarket electronics that are waterproof?
    Rumor has it that the next generation of VXL's will be waterproof. There have been magazine adds showing waterproof VXL's and currently no one has VXL's available, presumably waiting on the arrival of the new waterproof models.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    yeah I went to my lhs and asked last weekend why they had no vxl's and they said that they are probobly revising it cause they are on back order and and traxass as not sent them any new ones in over 2 weeks.

RC Racer
    so there is a waterproof one coming?
    if not can i buy waterproofs parts?
    Revo 3.3
    E-Maxx 3905

Well I could help you out on this one. I own both trucks and a losi xxx-t cr and a rc10t4 FT. THe rustler is a very simple and touch truck but it outdated on design. The VXL is a great beginner truck for someone new to brushless. The Velineon doesn't really require the best batteries to run. In stock form you are limited to adjustments. The E-firestorm is a very strong truck and is a mix between the losi xxx-t and rc10t4 in design. The material used on the truck is flexable...like rpms product so it will take a hit and can be upgraded to carbon fiber if you decide to go racing. You have alot of adjustments you can make on it b/c it's a basher/racer hybrid. The problem is you are limited on gearing as hpi only makes a 87t spur. You can't fit a huge 3s lipo in the battery tray like you can with the rustler if you want to use the battery bar. The diff are sealable and adjustable with the diff spring inside.

Both are great trucks. If you want something to bash with but don't want alot of headaches and keeping it simple is your thing....Rustler 100%. If you want to bash and decide you want to go racing...E-firestorm might be a better truck. Remember....the Rustler has ALOT of aftermarket support. The hpi isn't really big here in the U.S...except the savage and the baja.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman101
    the efirestorm was desinged by monkies. my friend got one and the esc fell off and it cannot fit a 7 cell. get a rustler
    I fine this very hard to believe. If the T4 can fit a 7cell...the E-frestorm will. If your friend was trying to put a 7cell hump pack into the tray...maybe he needs to read the manual or something. The E-firestorm only takes laydown style packs.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    the rustler. that is all i have to say
    Its not if it breaks...its when

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Rumor has it that the next generation of VXL's will be waterproof. There have been magazine adds showing waterproof VXL's and currently no one has VXL's available, presumably waiting on the arrival of the new waterproof models.
    Tower has them in stock,does not mention being waterproof,

Nearly forgot, buy a Rusty they rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Travlla; 05-30-2009 at 08:30 AM.
    Trav