RC poster

Battery charged at 15 minutes ???

Hi friend.
    Today I recieved new batteries and charger. Fusion Elysium LX60 and 4x PowerTech NiMH 4500 8,4V with Traxxas connector for my new E-Revo ( not brushless ). I setup my charger for NIMH batteries at 4.5A charging rate ( on battery is written " charging 10 hour at 450 mAh or 1 hour at 4.500 mAh." ). Everything start OK but my battery was charged after 15 minutes ??? Is it normal ?? Or what is Your expectation for proper charging of these batteries.

Thanks a lof for help - I`m e-revo newbie :-)

Drummer

RC Champion
    Obviously the pack wasn't completely drained... next time note how much mAH went into the pack during the charge. I think most packs ship around 3/4 full.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    Obviously the pack wasn't completely drained... next time note how much mAH went into the pack during the charge. I think most packs ship around 3/4 full.
    That could be. Keep watching what it does, though. I'm not familiar with that charger, but keep track of how much is going into the battery (timed or if the charger displays mAh charged.) Batteries usually take several cycles to reach full potential, and sometimes the charger will 'false peak' especially on new cells. When you are charging at the rate you are, the pack should start to get warm as the charge is complete. Start with the pack at room temperature, and at about 0.9v per cell, and if it isn't warming up when the charger shuts off, it ain't done.

WARM, NOT HOT!!! Hot is bad.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Also, you may need to adjust your peak settings, since if it is set wrong, the battery will false-peak (stop charging before it is fully charged).
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Also, you may need to adjust your peak settings, since if it is set wrong, the battery will false-peak (stop charging before it is fully charged).
    I had this happen today, to my brand new receiver pack. Granted, it was the pack for my 3.3, but the principle is still the same. I charged it at too fast of a rate and it only put in ~400mAh of juice. I thought it was good b/c I figured they ship w/ a charge. Well, after 2.5 tanks, the servos were dead and luckily it coincided with an empty tank of gas.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam

WARM, NOT HOT!!! Hot is bad.
    As long as you stay under 150 your ok.

RC poster
    Thanks for answers to all. At first charge was delivered about 1500 mAh.

What does mean " adjust PEAK settings " as REVO1 said. My charger has this feature. What is the proper setup for my batteries or is some general setup for NIMH batteries ( Powertech 8,4V 4500 mAh - 10h at 450 mAh or 1h at 4500 mAh ) ??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, generally it is 1mV per 1000mAh, so you should set your peak at 4.5mV. If you are still having trouble with false-peaking, set it to 3mV (less is better) and see how it works.

RC poster
    OK Revo1. Thanks a lot.

RC Qualifier
    I have to disagree with Revo1's last post.

4.5mv for a pack is pretty low. If you can get away with it and get a full charge, by all means use it. That rule of thumb he said, 1mv per 1000mah, that's a new one!
    If it's false peaking, then setting it lower will only make the false peaking problem worse. Set it higher so it doesn't false peak. I usually use 6mv per pack, regardless of the mah capacity.

Do you guys realise how small 1mV is? It's 1/1000th of a volt.
    That's 0.001v.
    Not a lot of room for error, ie false peaking.

The bottom line is, use a higher mV setting if you're getting false peaking.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm...maybe I have just been lucky? I don't know, I just remember hearing that rule about 5 years ago, and have been using it since with no false peaking.