RC Champion

Brushless equivalent of the Trx Titan 550 12T?

Hi,
    Since there are many debates concerning which BL esc to go or what kVs to choose..I'm probably the only person here that thinks the Titan 550 12T motor is kinda..well adequate. At least for the moment.

Anyway I want to have a maintenance free BL motor, which is similar or slightly better in performance to the stock brushed Titan. Can anybody recommend the turn numbers or the kV rating?

Oh one more thing...does a lower kV / higher turn always means a bigger torque? say a 4000kV to a 2000kV?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Out of Sight; 05-14-2009 at 06:28 AM.

RC Champion
    I'm not sure what brushless motor would be equal to the Titan but I know that they are out there. Look at the Novak systems if you are sure that is the way you want to go. Personally I'd buy a VXL system and run it in training mode until you feel the need for more power. The need will hit you very quick

As far as motors go. Assuming you are talking about the same make. Yes the Lower the KV the more torque it will make. A good 3000 to 4000 KV motor works great in a Slash. You don't want to go much over 4000.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight
    Hi,
    Since there are many debates concerning which BL esc to go or what kVs to choose..I'm probably the only person here that thinks the Titan 550 12T motor is kinda..well adequate. At least for the moment.

Anyway I want to have a maintenance free BL motor, which is similar or slightly better in performance to the stock brushed Titan. Can anybody recommend the turn numbers or the kV rating?

Oh one more thing...does a lower kV / higher turn always means a bigger torque? say a 4000kV to a 2000kV?

Thanks.
    Hi A 3300KV @ 7.2V should be close to the titan 12. that's 23,76RPM @ 7.2V the titan 12 is 22,000 to 23,00RPM
    So some whare in 6the 3100KV to 35000KV should be good.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    John01574 has it right. I got the vxl and did the training mode until I wanted more speed. VXL in training mode is about equal to titan 12t.
    free track. need tucson racers. PM me

RC Champion
    thanks guys. Other reason why I'm looking for a similarly performanced BL system is because I'm still running a 7 cell Nimh- 8.4v 4000mah. I get around 20-25 minutes on the Titans. I was hoping the increase efficiency of the BL will see more run time. Although I have 3 packs...which see continuous run of about an hour on a Titan.
    I probably get the VXL or the cheap EZrun,..until I get my hand on a Maxamp Lipo, i'll just stick to lower kv motor. These lipos cost as much as the truck!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Hi A 3300KV @ 7.2V should be close to the titan 12. that's 23,76RPM @ 7.2V the titan 12 is 22,000 to 23,00RPM
    I'm having a hard time looking for a Titan's spec...any links?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28

I managed to find this

"Xtreme RC Mag Dyno results.

Motor Data

Battery pack used: Reedy X-Rater 3700 6cell Stick pack

Motor: Traxxas Titan 12t 550
    Wind: 12-Single
    Max Power*: 40.24W @ 7,772rpm
    Max Torque*: 72.16 Nmm
    Peak RPM*: 14,599rpm @ 2.6sec
    Efficieny*: 52% @ 11,358

Motor Settings
    Timing: Fixed
    Brushes: Internal
    Springs: Internal

Acceleration (0-60FT): 3.09sec @ 26.0mph
    Top Speed: 30.9 @ 210ft
    Average Run Time: 6+mins

Gearing
    26/76"

A motor of 3000kv will be a good replacement motor
    A lot more torque in acceleration, similar to better run time and similar top speed
    I was born to break the mould

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight
    I'm having a hard time looking for a Titan's spec...any links?
    Hi i have a RPM checker and it was like 22,000 RPM @7.2V i recall
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoretam
    I managed to find this

Motor Data

Motor Settings

Gearing
    26/76"

A lot more torque in acceleration, similar to better run time and similar top speed
    Only 40 watts? A nice stock motor Has like 120 watts. Weird...
    -Stregone

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoretam
    I managed to find this

Motor Data

Motor Settings

Gearing
    26/76"

Gee..thanks man. This is what I need! Yes, it's a good thing u mentioned about torque..that's exactly what I need. I mostly bash at my backyard, where there's only 50 feet of straight the rest is some tight twistys. I already installed a 16/90 gear combo, it helps "move" the truck around. Although looking at the specs...that's a good healthy torque from the Titan. 72 Newton Millimeter..or about 720 grams/cm. Tamiya Super Stock 540 TZ only makes around 400 grams/cm.
    How much torque does a 3000kv motor or 3500kv Velineon makes? Just wondering...

I have an old tamiya buggy chassis, with a brand new stock 27 turn silver can johnson motor, it has a more responsive "hole shot" acceleration out of corners. But that's probably due to a much lighter weight of the Tamiya.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stregone
    Only 40 watts? A nice stock motor Has like 120 watts. Weird...
    It's probably "at the wheel" power, ie chassis dyno, just like in a real car..not a direct result taken from the motor shaft. Wheel horsepower is significantly lower than actual power the motor is making due to friction loss, tire size and gear combination in the transmission.

RC Champion
    Once you go brushless, the whole world changes because a good BL system can theoretically make unlimited torque. This depends on how much amperage the batteries can supply, and how much heat the system can handle, of course.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Qualifier
    I never ran my Titan 12T and went straight to the VXL. I love it! It's plenty fast and has plenty of torque. If I need more power I'll just take the 2S out and go 3S.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BigART71
    I never ran my Titan 12T and went straight to the VXL. I love it! It's plenty fast and has plenty of torque. If I need more power I'll just take the 2S out and go 3S.
    Yeep...that's what I'm saving up for at the moment. But the LVC cutoff issues on the VXL kinda throw me off..do you suffer any issues with it? I really dont want to buy something that I might regret later, I'm a man on a mission and a BUDGET! I'm saving up also for a good Lipo..most likely those of Maxamp.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't and the LVC issue at all.

Tower Hobbies has the Castle Creations Sidewinder on sale right now. If I get another Slash I was thinking of getting the 4600KV setup. It's slightly less expensive then the VXL so far that I've senn.

RC Qualifier
    I'd have to say the Titan is about equivalent to somewhere between a 17.5 and 21.5 turn Novak motor, if you are using that scale. I ran a fairly nice 27 turn brushed stock motor and found the performance pretty similar to the Titan.

RC Racer
    i race my cars, so i really need a system that is close to the titan (the track we have is tight, and does not have much traction)

any good suggestions

RC Qualifier
    I have a 10.5T novak ballistic, and honestly, I expected a bit more from it. It has more power than the titan (I am using the same 7cell 3000mAh battery as when I had my titan), but not much more speed (at least at my generous 12:56 gearing)
    I got maybe 5mph more top end out of it, but the thing has amazing torque and low-end. I don't do wheelies, the wheels just spin.
    It is also very controllable at low speeds, and has never gotten over 140 degrees F, and rarely ever goes above 120.

I also like the programability of the novak ESC over the straight plug and go(ish) of the vxl. I have mine tuned just the way I like it, with all the fun extras. It makes it handle just that much better.

I am satisfied with this motor, and really wouldn't need anything more.
    another + is that it is easily taken apart and cleaned, and you can replace individual components.
    I could imagine the ballistic 13.5T being pretty close to the titan.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Champion
    about 2800kv or so
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Enthusiast
    So you are saying a 3000 kv motor has more torque than a 4000 kv?

RC Qualifier
    Yes and don't get a Maxamps lipo
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Racer
    Be careful if you intend to buy an ezRun as there are a lot of counterfeit versions being sold at the moment.
    There's discussion about this on another forum that I frequent and Hobbywing are trying to stop it.
    As has already been suggested, another good alternative is the Sidewinder SCT. It's worth the money just for the powerhouse of a motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight View Post
    thanks guys. Other reason why I'm looking for a similarly performanced BL system is because I'm still running a 7 cell Nimh- 8.4v 4000mah. I get around 20-25 minutes on the Titans. I was hoping the increase efficiency of the BL will see more run time. Although I have 3 packs...which see continuous run of about an hour on a Titan.
    I probably get the VXL or the cheap EZrun,..until I get my hand on a Maxamp Lipo, i'll just stick to lower kv motor. These lipos cost as much as the truck!!

Sent from my E10i using Tapatalk

I was racing my Slash at an indoor track over the winter and they combined the "spec" class and "17.5" class a couple times. There was little to no performance difference as far as motors go. Then again it all depends on how well you can make a Titan run. My truck qualified and finished second against a field of trucks with 17.5 brushless motors and all sorts of different tire combos. I would say the majority of advantage of the 17.5 trucks was the tires. My truck was 100% out of the box. So I would say my Titan held it's own, but then again I've seen some guys out there with some insanely slow Titan motors.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeson81798 View Post
    So you are saying a 3000 kv motor has more torque than a 4000 kv?
    this is a myth.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
    I'd have to say the Titan is about equivalent to somewhere between a 17.5 and 21.5 turn Novak motor, if you are using that scale. I ran a fairly nice 27 turn brushed stock motor and found the performance pretty similar to the Titan.
    This is right... about a "17.5" brushless motor. Those are usually 2000-2300 kv.... you gotta gear them up a lot taller than the titan, but the overall performance will be close.

RC Qualifier
    the titan 12t 550 can go 30mph

I guess it was about time for this thread to get revived.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Well to answer the 3-and-a-half year old original question, I have found this motor lately and want to try it out:

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=TRI10153

I think it may just match or better a titan with proper gearing. *sensored esc required*
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

hee hee hee this post is old.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...