RC Racer

Venom Smart Temp on the TRX3.3

Ok, so Im getting my Slayer set up, and recently I installed my Venom Smart Temp. Im wondering, does anyone else use this, and if so, what cooling fin did you wrap the sensor around? I dont have a temp gun to compare the two readouts. So Im looking for any advice anyone has that has used this Temp gauge/Failsafe.

Also, how much dissasembly do I have to do to access the rear shocks? I have heard that out of the box, its a good idea to swap the front and rear stock shocks and I was considering doing that to last me until I have new shocks, oil and springs to replace the stock ones.

RC Qualifier
    Almost noone likes the Venom smart temp......I have one and use it on my slayer and I like it and think it has saved me from burning up my engine. I can't say how perfectly accurate it is but for me it is close enough... I have mine at the very bottom of the cooling head...

Mr Twister
    Slayer,ModSctSlash,AE8E, Spektrum DX3R

RC Champion
    I have it too, and I don't like it. It seems to interfere with the radio if you ask me. It would engage the brakes alot when running. I like the fail safe itself, just wish it wouldn't do that!
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

Quote Originally Posted by boomgagem
    I have it too, and I don't like it. It seems to interfere with the radio if you ask me. It would engage the brakes alot when running. I like the fail safe itself, just wish it wouldn't do that!
    You know, my duratrax micro failsafe did exactly the same thing. It would just randomly apply full brakes while I was at WOT. It got very annoying. I contacted Duratrax and they sent me a new one and the new unit did exactly the same random actions.

A DX3S system solved that problem tho

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running the Venom smart temp fail-safe on both my Slayer and Savage XL.

I think they're great and have saved both trucks from over heating. Of course a good tune and an attentive driver could do the same, I just like the added security of knowing the smart temp will restrict throttle if I push too hard.

No interference for me. Try mounting it in a different location. I've got mine mounted with velcro on the roll bar just above the radio box.

RC Racer
    I have mine mounted with velcro on the plastic roll bar on my slayer chassis. No interference but it does like the slam on the brakes when i drive it too far out. Im willing to blame that on the crummy TQ transmitter though. Once it gets out here to Iraq and I can get a Futaba FASST receiver and use my 3PM im sure it will be just fine. Im going to get a temp gun soon and start to find a good place to get accurate temps with that.