Thread: Diff grease

RC Competitor

Diff grease

What kind and how much is best to use? I'm in the works of dying the chassis and figured I'd go ahead n clean n re-lube diffs too.

Thanks for any input all

Steve

RC Racer
    I use 100k in my MERV. Actually, I use 100k in all my traxxas run 100k. I fill it to about 90% full.

RC Enthusiast
    If your talking in the box just use lithium automotive all bearing grease. I wouldn't go for 100 in the diff of a MERV tho, the diff case I fill her up n move everything around, it will overflow excess. For the box add then rotate untill you have a full coverage, don't need to fill it and excess will bleed out past the bearings on the outdrives.
    Last edited by SiNFUllR3VO; 08-18-2015 at 04:14 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks all

RC Qualifier
    50k is what is SUPOSED to be in there . Every one I have ever opened has been dry. But yes I would go thicker, much thicker.

RC Enthusiast
    50 front with 30 rear. Makes driving on pavement much better. Above that really only if your only driving it off road on dirt or it makes for poor handling IMO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are you talking about grease for the pinion and ring gear or oil for the sealed diffs?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Are you talking about grease for the pinion and ring gear or oil for the sealed diffs?
    Inside the diff.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Both.. The OP is not specific however anybody who is already RC familiar knows we wouldn't be talking about 50 to 100 to lube the ring and pinion...

The diff has 2 places that need lube. Spider/planetary gears and the ring and pinion gears.

Inside the diff itself with the spider gears using different weight manipulated the slip in the diff. Stiffer stuff to give more LSD effect

The diff then sits in the diff box or whatever you want to call it (case) it is not handling related, lithium bearing grease is the best bet to lube the ring and pinion gear.
    Last edited by SiNFUllR3VO; 08-19-2015 at 07:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    While your in there playing with the diffs SHIM THEM. Google it.

RC Competitor
    I was asking about applying grease to the ring n pinion gears. The truck runs awesome as is. Will the shimming help prevent future problems?? Is it really worth it??
    Meant to say earlier, this is a 1/16 slash 4x4 brushed
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by PUDDNMONKEY; 08-19-2015 at 03:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The shimming will keep from stripping the ring and pinion on the diffs. Common absolutely necesarry "upgrade" with vxl..... might be ok for a while with brushed....... there cheap, and ya allready have it taken apart.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231617203241...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Get 2 sets

RC Enthusiast
    The shimming is critical but lengthy process to do right.

Add in a new diff and set the mesh up and the diff doesn't rotate fully smooth if tight enough. There always seems to be a rough patch (much less so with alloy bulks) if the mesh is set up and left at this point you will eventually strip it again.

The trick is at this point to run the truck but no jumping or stabding back flips. Run the diff in untill it smooths out.

At this point the diff has become ever so slightly loose. RESHIM the diff or you might just need a slight adjust on the bulk screw if its plastic. This time though try to make sure its tight but still rotating smooth.

Alternatively one can take out the front diff, swap it into the rear and put the new diff in the front. This is if the front diff in the truck is already broken in, then the front can be used to break in the new diff. The MERV is much less abusive on the front diffs..

This process has lead to being able to do standing backflips from time to time without stripping the rear diff leading to the dreaded clickity click... I won't do them over and over and even though I've been able to pull off about 20 or so on the diff, it still feels like I'm pushing my luck.
    Last edited by SiNFUllR3VO; 08-20-2015 at 11:31 PM.

RC Competitor
    Would lithium marine grease b OK for ring and pinion gears?

RC Enthusiast
    yup, perfectly fine. any of the lithium based bearing / all-purpose greases are fine. What is critical is the pinion and ring mesh.. Breaking in the diff and shimming it are super important here unless you like replacing stripped ring gears.

RC Competitor
    Cool deal then. Thank y'all for the info. I'll keep y'all posted on it

RC Qualifier
    Shimming is needed, but not difficult. Stock oils work the best. Period. 50 front 30 rear. Clean and seal diffs with black rtv including bolts.

RC Enthusiast
    molybdoenum grease for gears and 50k silicone for front and rear diffs, 100k for centre diff works best for me on and off road. Tried the 100k for the front and rear and it is good for off road but severely effects your turning circle on road. 30k is stock oil for the diffs not 50k.

RC Enthusiast
    50/30 F/R stock

I however run 50/50 and mostly onroad no center diff