RC Competitor

Do you cut holes in tires for wet driving?

In the manual it says to cut two holes in the E-Maxx tires if you're going to run it in wet conditions? Does everyone do that?

RC Qualifier
    i dont do it but i believe there are holes cut in the rim for letting water out. i drilled holes in the rim on the other tires that i glued for that reason so i dont think you need to in the tires.
    Emaxx 3905 FS in the market place.

RC Enthusiast

centrifigal force

The point of cutting small holes in the tread is to let out the water that is let in the holes on the inside of the rims. After a run in water you raise the truck and then run it for a little while and the water is forced out the holes in the tire tread

RC Qualifier
    Yep, need the holes. I just run in water today. When finished, just put the truck upside down and finished the batteries full throttle. You see water coming out for a minute.
    E-Maxx on NiMH / Savage Flux on LiPO

RC Qualifier
    Yep drill them just like the manual says. If you run it full throttle even while you are driving the water should come right out.
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Champion
    agreed with all the above posts.^^^^^^^^^^^
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    watch out running full throttle upside down if you have a high power brushless system as it will literally rip bigger holes in the tires
    "I have a car just like that from wal-mart"

RC Enthusiast
    Well I do the opposite - I glue the holes in rims, then there's no water in the tire. After winter I just remove the glue, since I do run maxx only in water/wet in winter/snow.
    E-Maxx 16.8V, Proline H2 body, 4S 10Ah, 2xKD970

RC Champion
    It scares me how you say "cut holes" in the tires. All it takes is a small drill bit to drill a small hole. The hole will close up to where you can't even tell it is there. You make it sound like you are wanting to put a big hole in them. The only way I see where the small holes are in my tires is getting in dirt after the water. Dirt will collect around where the water is coming out. If the water doesn't escape out of the tire, they will be way out of balance and shake and bounce like crazy. I'm sure that is hard on a lot of stuff.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    Yes, defiantly put holes in the tire!

TIP: Use a soldering iron with a fine tip and 'burn' small holes throughout the tire.

Although I dont want to take credit for this tip, I saw it posted on these forums one day and thought I would share....
    E-maxx 3905-SOLD!!!

-Losi 8ight buggy nitro

RC Champion
    or before you even get it in water glue the tires and seal the holes in the rims. if water can never get in whats the point of trying to get it out?
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

RC Qualifier
    if ya seal them up there is no "breathing room" for the tire/foam to compress and absorb any hits or rough terrain. i might try it to see if there is a difference in how the truck drives/lands and what not with holes and no holes.
    There's some important stuff hidden in the waffle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madd_maxx08
    Yes, defiantly put holes in the tire!

TIP: Use a soldering iron with a fine tip and 'burn' small holes throughout the tire.

Although I dont want to take credit for this tip, I saw it posted on these forums one day and thought I would share....

Saw it also, tried it, did not work. Even at 450C.
    Smells awful, but does not make a hole.
    E-Maxx on NiMH / Savage Flux on LiPO

RC Champion
    i just use some hot glue on the holes on the inside of the rim. The glue pulls off easily when you want it off.
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Qualifier
    don't seal the holes permanently, or you will be risking your tires popping off when your Maxx lands hard
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8