RC poster

Brushless system for minor improvement over stock titan 775

Hey guys, I'm looking for ideas on a brushless upgrade over the stock system. I'm not looking for ballistic power. I think something just a little more powerful than the titan 775 would be fine. The main reason I would prefer an upgrade is for the huge efficiency bump that brushless provides as well as the increased programming options the speed controls can provide.

A small increase in speed would be okay, but I'm not looking for this thing to do huge speed runs. I primarily use it for trail driving and some crawling.

I'm definitely going to be running my 2s 7600mah packs so please keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the help.

When you say 2s batteries, do you refer to two 2s lipos i.e. 4s? There are several options when it comes to 1/8 scale motors and esc and I would suggest a waterproof esc e.g. the hobbywing "WP 8BL150" or the mamba monster 2. The motor could be either a castle 2200kv or another 1/8 scale knock off brand in the 1700-2000kv range. It may be cheaper to buy a kit i.e. esc and motor like a kit from castle, hobbywing or even the traxxas branded BL kits. Also make sure to gear your truck according to the final choice of motor and how "fast" you would want to go/crawl.
    Last edited by ttThree; 06-19-2016 at 04:31 PM.

RC poster
    I have a mamba monster system for my ERBE I might test that out first and see how it does. Perhaps with software tuning it won't be too insane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    sensored ESC with a 1700-2000kv motor is a good choice IMO for 4S

I'm running Skyrc TS150A with 1350Kv motor on 6S and it's really fast but still smooth start
    "souvent fauché toujours marteau !"

Yes, the non sensored motors will cog and are not ideal for crawling or smooth ride unless you gear it really low.

RC poster
    Are there sensored systems that are waterproof? I don't like to mud my trucks but I do want to run in snow this winter which would put it at risk for some water invasion.

I agree the sensored option might be ideal. Since I have the erbe combo I will test that first but I do like the precision of the brushed system.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reich2004 View Post
    Are there sensored systems that are waterproof? I don't like to mud my trucks but I do want to run in snow this winter which would put it at risk for some water invasion.

I agree the sensored option might be ideal. Since I have the erbe combo I will test that first but I do like the precision of the brushed system.

https://traxxas.com/sites/all/themes...m-20151214.pdf I did the power up program for the Summit. Geared down with an 11t pinion, stock spur, used the castle link and set the drag brake. Does great for bashing, not to fast, crawls good, little cogging, and with the drag brake coming down a hill is now strategic, instead of a free for all. Most of all it comes down to $s, and when is enough enough.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC poster
    I put my ERBE ESC and motor in there and it actually does really well. It has a little more top end than I believe I'd like. I ordered a 12t pinion, I wanna say the stock is 14t. I really think this will work out just fine. With stock gearing I ran trails and some crawling for 1hr 30min and barely used over half of my 2s 7600 batteries. Motor and ESC were ambient temps. I'm actually really pleased with this. Now I just need a replacement set for my e-revo.

RC Competitor
    Castle made a sensored esc wp

but not really cheap

or on ebay I've seen titan 150 esc (there's two version a sensored and a sensoreless), but don't know it...
    "souvent fauché toujours marteau !"

RC Enthusiast
    ^^Its the mamba monster x. I get mine tomorrow!! Can't wait lol. It's going to be paired with a SMC 1900kv sensored 1/8th scale motor and stock 14/68 gearing. Was running a 2650kv motor on 2s but with the 1900kv most likely will run 3s.
    Summit Hauler
    4ws SCX10
    Mischief-Maker

RC poster
    Ive got a Mamba Monster X with a 3900 motor in my revo and can say its fast even geared down with a 10/68 pinion spur its still a 30mph truck on 3s but with the 2 speed trans kit its great for crawling and still hit some cool jumps without tearing up drive line. The options of the speed controller are great. Ive got a summit coming next week and will put the same combo in that.

RC Enthusiast
    ^^What are your temps with that thing? Is that a short course motor or something?
    Summit Hauler
    4ws SCX10
    Mischief-Maker

RC poster
    I ended up getting the mamba monster x and castle 2200 combo. Figure I can toss sensored in later if needed.