RC Qualifier

Instant delivery by Amazon and how it affects Hobby shops

I get spoiled with Amazon. I've ordered items from Amazon at 9pm Tuesday and received them 5pm Wednesday. This level of quick delivery is outstanding and makes you wonder how they do it.

Here I sit Wednesday evening, wondering why the orders I placed over the weekend aren't here. Then I realized these orders are on a normal schedule. Two to four days is normal depending on the distance from the supplier.

Amazon has a plan to drive others out of on-line ordering and it's hard to compete against. Their goal of same day delivery is possible. If they ever get Drone FAA approval, you'll have it in less than an hour in Metro areas.

I support local Hobby shops and pay in cash, but the smaller shops can't stock everything. So I order some parts on-line. I still want to support on-line Hobby shops but it's hard to resist that quick delivery.

I don't know the answer or how to help hobby shops but I want to support them.
    Amazon is, to on-line stores, what Wal-Mart was, to Mom & Pop stores.

What are your thoughts.
    Last edited by Electromen; 01-13-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC poster
    I was just thinking this very same thought. I use the net to basically order everything for this hobby. I very really go to a local hobby shop. I did order my x maxx from one of them because I got it for 730.00 and in a week and 1/2 later had it in hand. Now looking at a castle 2028 and find my self surfing the Web again.

Point being, it's hard to break old habbits. I really need to change that and show the family hobby shop more visits.

Internet is all to easy and it's all to easy to just say, it's only a 2 or 3 dollar part the hobby shop isn't going to miss that sale. However if we all added up what we spend on flea bay or amazon that little hobby shop would be happy to have even half of those sales.

Not only that it's a great way to meet people with the same interest. Make a new bashing budy or find out where that sweet bashing spot is.

Great post

RC Champion
    well the choise comes down to do you want to support your local shop or not? every little sale is important to them. I try to support local as much as possible but i also try to save money as well. If i see the same part for much cheaper else ware then yes im going to order it.

Iv never had luck with amazon. Even using the Canadian site everything i have ever tried to order is not available to my area

I would love to support a local hobby shop if I had one the closest one to me is 30mi out so I order almost order everything off of amazon

I support my LHS only because I have been dealing with him since the very early 80's and we have became best of friends.\
    He is very knowledgeable and helps me out when I get stumped. In return I have taken a lot of my off time to devote to his shop by repairing customers r/c's. I enjoy learning on one's I have never seen and he enjoy's me taking a load off his work list.
    Now I don't think Amazon or any internet can give me the satisfaction I have had over the 30ish years I have been dealing with him. Getting to know your LHSis always the best and you can actually help them by introducing new techniques and part's that they may not know of and in the long run it benefits you. I have actually got my friend to order parts for his stock that I have learned about from this forum.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Ordering online is how everything is now days. You can be just about anywhere about anywhere and order pretty much everything you wanted. No more going to the store to get it. Depending on what you order and where it is coming from you can have something super fast the next day or two. I'm still old school, I'd rather go into my lhs and pick up in person what I'm looking for. I also would rather hold in my hand and look and touch what I'm buying. My lhs is always good about ordering parts they do not have in stock and usually has it in two or there days and sends me a text when it shows up. I'm up for supporting local businesses than online places. I'll admit I've bought a few things online here and there. I also like the help I get when I walk into my lhs.

I usually try to support my lhs if I don't need my parts right away. Other Times I go to them because it is the fastest way to get my parts. I love talking to the guys in there. Most of the guys in there know me pretty well and say hi whenever I walk in. I don't know any of the guys I have bought parts from online.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    I really, really wanted to buy my new Slash from the LHS. They were helpful when I asked about getting back into the hobby and we were able to reminisce about the good ol' days of kits and Nicads that gave us a long 8 minute run time. Unfortunately, it would have been an additional $160 to buy my Ultimate from the LHS. That was a bit more than I wanted to spend. It just is too hard to get the LHS to match prices online, especially with coupons and discounts.

However, I have made the decision to buy upgrades and parts from that shop. Sure it might cost me an extra buck or two, but it is worth it. My shop is only three miles away, so that helps too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    If I had a more local hobby shop I may use that route more. My most local hobby shop is about a 35 minute drive. It's frustrating to drive there, looking for paint or tires or whatnot, and they don't have what I want. It also generally costs a fair bit more there. So I generally order online, but stop in when I'm in the area.

I do rather like using it for the stock parts I break in their track though .
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Another interesting aspect if amazon gets drone approval. You can have your RC's and RC parts delivered by....... An RC

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    Another interesting aspect if amazon gets drone approval. You can have your RC's and RC parts delivered by....... An RC
    Does this mean that you could get a new job doing something you loved to do, rc flying.

RC Champion
    My LHS flat out told me (before they closed down) that they couldn't compete with online prices and that was the reason for them closing down. My LHS was also about 35 minutes away from me, and that itself steered me away from going. It's cool to support them but when I started noticing their prices were double the prices on ebay I had to stop shopping there at that point.
    We are all one race. The human race.

I've only been to my lhs a few times and never bought anything from them because the prices are always higher than amazon. The only cite I use is amazon and they are quite amazing for me with great shipping and much cheaper prices which is great.
    "Brakes? Who needs them? They only slow you down"

RC Racer
    We used to go to the LHS (or other specialty shops) also for access to subject matter experts. Now that we have the internet (and forums like this one) we really don't need them anymore. This really leaves them to compete on price, and they will eventually lose there. It's kinda sad but it is progress.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I do think in the drive for ultra user friendly, no experience required, rtr, self adjusting, self driving, self righting vehicles, that there will certainly be a place for hobby shops for things like problem diagnosis, vehicle repair, soldering, etc. Because more people will be jumping right in with no experience, many of whom I don't think even care to learn their vehicles.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    I had a small business a few years ago, so I tend to want to support them more when I can. Sure, you can get by with forums and videos, but sometimes it's nice to have personal interaction with another human being. My LHS has a couple nice tracks, so they do deserve the support. What's a few bucks to me when it helps out a business owner. Like I mentioned earlier, a whole truck was too expensive, but for parts, I'll gladly pay the little bit extra.

RC Racer
    I'm in BFE AZ, closest local shop listed on Traxxas.com is an hour a way, luckily I called them and found out they quit carrying them. Closest LHS is in Las Vegas. I don't have a LHS to support. If I break something, I order 2. I could put together an entire suspension out of my toolbox.
    Pede 4x4
    / 4x4
    / 2wd
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    If I had a decent lhs I would support them, but they only have Traxxas and axial parts none of which I need. The only Traxxas parts I end up needing they either don't have or is 2x the cost of part+shipping.

Depends on what I'm buying. If I need a $10 skid plate because I just broke mine, my LHS most likely has it in stock and I need it same day so I'll go buy it in-store. The same skid plate might cost $8 on ebay but I dont mind paying an extra $2 to support my LHS and have the part in my hand in just minutes.

If I'm searching for a battery pack or motor, eBay likely has it much cheaper and I dont mind waiting for delivery as I probably dont need to have it same day.

So basically the more money the purchase will cost, the less likely I will be buying it from my LHS.
    Last edited by MaXXL; 01-21-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    Brushless Everything

RC Racer
    We only use the internet because we are impatient and cheap. We wanted yesterday and as cheap as possible. Otherwise you would go through your LHS to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpopp View Post
    We only use the internet because we are impatient and cheap. We wanted yesterday and as cheap as possible. Otherwise you would go through your LHS to get it.
    Not always, my not so local LHS is a 60 round trip, and the last thing you need to hear after the 40min drive to get there is we don't stock it, but can order it & have it sometime next week(unless it's the day after order day, then it's two weeks) and another 60mile round trip to go get said part.

I did support the one that was 10 min from me but he closed, so now it's just the one, I can't even get them to carry or order fuel by the gallon anymore, all he'll carry is quarts at $20 a pop.
    So now even that comes courtesy of Amain 6 gallons to a box @$150.

If I'm already down there and they have what I need I'll buy it there but if not it gets ordered from the ol interweb.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I text the hobby shop owner to check stock, then I pay cash. He always gives me a generous discount. It's about 40 min. round trip.
    Slash 4x4 TSM OBA
    2s & 3s ID batteries

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Not always, my not so local LHS is a 60 round trip, and the last thing you need to hear after the 40min drive to get there is we don't stock it, but can order it & have it sometime next week(unless it's the day after order day, then it's two weeks) and another 60mile round trip to go get said part.

I did support the one that was 10 min from me but he closed, so now it's just the one, I can't even get them to carry or order fuel by the gallon anymore, all he'll carry is quarts at $20 a pop.
    So now even that comes courtesy of Amain 6 gallons to a box @$150.

If I'm already down there and they have what I need I'll buy it there but if not it gets ordered from the ol interweb.
    Fair enough, I did not take in account for those that just do not have a LHS local to them.

There is a shop about 30 minutes from me. It has been a few years since Ii been in there. I was really turned off from using thst shop as I never felt welcomed there as if he judged his customers based on the amount of $$$ they spent with him.

RC Competitor
    Sadly this is my problem. The nearest LHS is 2 hours away so Amazon is more convenient for me. I do try and support my LHS when I can.

Mattpopp, we did have an incredible LHS that had awesome , knowledgable people, but they closed whe the owner got a bad cancer diagnosis and couldn't get any reasonable offers for the business.

So for a while the Internet was the only way to get what you needed.

Now there's the HobbieTown and they are good as long your not a nitro guy and need stock parts mostly.
    Atleast the people have a good knowledge base.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    I usually get pretty quick delivery from a far away LHS. They are actually almost 600km away, and sometimes receive my parts next day. Yay for CanadaPost. It really gets down to your time or order and how fast the store processes your order and pack it for shipping.

Depending on the warehouse and time of order, amazon orders arrive next day or takes 2 business days in Canada.

There are other closer LHS around, but I prefer having my stuffs delivered to my doorstep than driving 20-30mins out to pick up 30$ worth of parts and come back.