RC Competitor

Difference Li-Ion vs. LiPo

Hi there

I have been trying to find usefull information on the subject, but without any real luck. I hope you wise people can help me out :-)

What is the difference in characteristics between Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries.
    All that is mentioned on these boards is the Li-Po type, but why not the Li-Ion?
    Are they not capable of delivering enough power fast enough or??

I ask because I have some Li-Ion cells on hand.
    I plan on (if possible) to use them as starter battery for my Nitro Revo and also as power battery for the electric Rustler.

What are the pro's and con's?

Thanks for your input. If you have usefull links too!

Best regards
    Jens Christian
    Denmark

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Most Lithium-Ions are very low amperage, like for cameras and cell phones, and can't deliver the power needed to run R/C motors and electronics.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Competitor
    Not entirely true. I run lithium ions from makita battery drills in my brushless slash(80A ez-run and feagio 9l) and my e-savage, both high amp draw sitiuations. At only 1500mah per cell, you do need to run at least 3 in parallel to get decent runtimes. I run 2s4p and get great runtimes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's true, but most people have old cell phone batteries "on hand", and I was letting him know that those are not meant for high-draw R/C use.

RC Competitor
    Thanks both of you
    The batteries I have are new cells from notebook battery packs. So they are goods cells with 2600mAh each cell.
    So as I read your answers I will not get problems using them for my R/C's.
    I was concerned that they could not delivery the power demanded from the engines (notebooks use the power at a slower pace).

If you can just comment on this I will be ready to go on.

Best regads
    Jens Christian
    Denmark

RC Competitor
    PS: do you need a balancer to charge Li-Ion cells? I have a Triton charger.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Those Li-Ion notebook batteries will be able to power your starter but not your RC car. They are designed to be discharged at 1 to 3C! Even at best, they can discharge at 6AMPS!!! Putting them in a truck that can pull 30 to 100 amps wont be a good thing

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Listen to skep, he speaks the truth! If you try to use those batteries, you will blow them up and start a fire, and that fire might destroy your whole truck. mAh doesn't mean much if they can't put out the right amperage. Like he said, those laptop cells are NOT designed for high-draw use.

RC Champion
    what you need to get is the li-ion from the dewalt 36v packs,or the a123 cells I believe they are 2300 mah. they have a high discharge rate.. and are 3.6v instead of 3.7 li-poly.
    phil
    E-revo leopard 4082
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Qualifier
    Lithium-Ion fire is deadly, don't even try them on RC, their max discharge rate is around 2C, many RC motors take 20C!
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8