RC Champion

diff maintenance

my buddies revo blew a diff this weekend,i used to own it so i know the diff was never opened before,ring and pinion were worn but ok,the planetaries were toast,the silicone was black and almost gone,but there were no leaks,knowing all this, how often should we be servicing our diffs?,and where did the silicone oil go?
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I never do any differentials servicing.. i run it till it blows (like 10 gallons) then get new complete ones off of ebay for like 15 dollars each.. it's cheaper and easier in the long run.

RC Champion
    thats funny,the tech at my lhs said essentially the same thing,he said maybe check them to make sure traxxas filled them,then run em till they drop,my daddy would roll over in his grave if he knew i did that so i think im gonna check mine periodically
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Racer
    if u race or play alot on the track you want to change your diff oil once in a while. i have 50000 in front and 30000 in rear. diff oil breaks down and some times leaks. not servicing your diff will change your handling from good to poor. the thicker wt the more traction on the wheels.

if your a backyard basher then i gess dont worry about it