Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    55

    No broken diff gears

    After playing with my Summit for 30 minutes during my lunch with both a new front and rear diff gear I was unable to break anything.

    I was running it up & down a large pile of ice hills, through a muddy puddle, and around a wet and plowed astroturf baseball diamond. Full throttle in high gear, low gear, and low gear with diffs locked. No problems.

    It was a very nice change and the truck is now living up to its potential. The next step: the local skate park this Saturday without the skateboard punks ruining perfectly good poured concrete ramps.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    449
    Great to hear.
    I'm worried that after replacing one gear I'll break another....

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    st. helens, Or
    Posts
    1,373
    did you replace em with the stock parts?
    @ 80% for years?

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In a box on Hwy 64.2 - Bashin' With Mike, Pat & Brad. hey i didnt start this.
    Posts
    7,488
    brink i am glad you can finally enjoy the truck. me and a fromer co worker from hobbytown who also has a summit are planning on hooking up this summer. any chance you could maybe hook up with us sometime?
    ADDICTED TO THE TWILIGHT SAGA

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    did you replace em with the stock parts?
    Yes. Traxxas sent me replacements.

    The one thing that I ended up doing differently is I used 50K oil instead of 100K oil because that's all I could find locally. Now my LHS tells me they prefer the lower weight oil during the winter because the higher weight will gel faster. Dunno if that's true or not, but given the time it takes to get to the diff, take the diff apart, and then reassemble everything it's not something I'm going to study on my own. I'd rather play with my truck.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Malibu
    brink i am glad you can finally enjoy the truck. me and a fromer co worker from hobbytown who also has a summit are planning on hooking up this summer. any chance you could maybe hook up with us sometime?
    Don't see why not. I still need to get a rear luggage rack for my Concours so I have someplace to strap my truck(s), but other than that it shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that Cortland is about 3 hours from Albany. Not exactly a "dainty" ride

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    I was running it up & down a large pile of ice hills, through a muddy puddle, and around a wet and plowed astroturf baseball diamond. Full throttle in high gear, low gear, and low gear with diffs locked. No problems.
    Are you driving it any differently than when you broke the diff gears earlier?

    I'm still waiting on my replacement gear (sigh), but I'm thinking I'm going to be all paranoid when I get to drive it again.

    Before buying the Summit I had the impression Traxxas made tough cars and trucks, but now I'm wondering just how tough my Summit really is.

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    Are you driving it any differently than when you broke the diff gears earlier?
    The only thing different I'm doing is making sure the wheels are not rotating when I lock or unlock the diffs. High gear, low gear, front locked, both locked, I've done it all without problems. Looks like the bad batch is the cause.

    One thing I am noticing while playing in the snow is that every once in a while the transmission doesn't want to switch from low to high without some coaxing (Extended slow driving). Given that I'm running the Summit hard in the snow (As in burying it up to the chassis, significant rooster tails when it's stuck, and splashes form ice cold deep puddles) I'm willing to chalk that up to cold parts.

    I can say with certainty is that, like most vehicles, deep soft snow will get it stuck requiring some manual assistance.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Farley's van down by the river
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    The only thing different I'm doing is making sure the wheels are not rotating when I lock or unlock the diffs. High gear, low gear, front locked, both locked, I've done it all without problems. Looks like the bad batch is the cause.

    One thing I am noticing while playing in the snow is that every once in a while the transmission doesn't want to switch from low to high without some coaxing (Extended slow driving). Given that I'm running the Summit hard in the snow (As in burying it up to the chassis, significant rooster tails when it's stuck, and splashes form ice cold deep puddles) I'm willing to chalk that up to cold parts.

    I can say with certainty is that, like most vehicles, deep soft snow will get it stuck requiring some manual assistance.
    Try unlocking one of the diffs when you shift gears, the bind from full lock may be hindering the trans shift. I run a shower cap over the chassis to keep snow from building up around the electrics, works great. Just got in from some night snow running, this thing is just plain cool....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •