Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

rman's Revo 3.3 Build

Sparked by one of my kids wanting a Raptor, I found a vid of a Nitro Slash and spent hours researching and watching vids, from Slayer to Savage and everything in between, I settled on the Revo and sourced one on ebay for $499 shipped.

FedEx came 3 days early

First on the list was the Traxxas wing/wing mount and wheelie bar (sorry, no good pics).

The wing mount required a good chunk be trimmed from the rear of the body. I do like the graphics of this body more than i thought I would, and with the big notch in the back, the drywall tape/shoe goo/3m undercoating was a must

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    Next stop, Smurfville USA
    It had been suggested by another member to get arms, carriers, pushrods, and spare rod ends. Sprung for the True Track and I've always used front/rear bumpers from RPM.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    RX battery life was a major problem for me. The little 5 cell 1200mah was barely lasting 3 tanks, or about an hour.

Solution: 2400mah 2S RX lipo, BEC, LVA, Shoehorn and Tetris skill

Have run 1000cc since yesterday and still at about 7.4v

Having a sickness known as "The Mod Bug" meant replacing the 1800mah 6cell EZ Start battery with a 4000mah 2S lipo. I was having no problems with this battery haha.
    No BEC. A little bigger than anticipated, had to get creative with the LVA.

And there we have it, been an interesting 8 days haha.

As my first Nitro, tuning has been an adventure.
    She's been through about 3/4 of a gallon and runs HOT as many of you already know. I am learning to tune by sound, smoke and performance and trying to completely disregard the temps. With my fuel consumption, we'll know soon enough how she holds together.

No new mods planned yet, besides picking up a toe-in and camber gauge. The suspension is a little soft, but I hate to mess with it since she eats bumps, including curbs, like nothing. A little prone to rolling though, not sure I want to add sway bars.

As needed, she'll get some proline wheels/tires, a body, and I'm sure many motors...

Sent from my Sig Sauer

Looks sweet. And I think if you decide to go with sway bars you won't regret it. Put them on my slayer and love them
    Tmaxx 3.3,jato 3.3,Slayer pro 4x4,p2de,fw06,rc10gt

RC Competitor
    Thumbs up from me! Enjoyed reading this build and I cannot wait to get back into nitro.
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrocrazy66 View Post
    Looks sweet. And I think if you decide to go with sway bars you won't regret it. Put them on my slayer and love them
    thanks! did you go with Traxxas or Tekno? I hear the Tekno doesn't require drilling and has more adjustability.

Did you lose a lot of articulation? That would be my biggest hesiation
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSlinger View Post
    Thumbs up from me! Enjoyed reading this build and I cannot wait to get back into nitro.
    Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing! I had to learn brushless/lipo by trial and error, but it's a lot more expensive and less forviving in the nitro world.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

You will loose a lot of flex, but it will handle really well, especially with the rpm true-track.
    If you can turn ya ain't goin fast enough!

RC Competitor
    get traxxas sway bars tried the teknos sold them

RC Competitor
    Thanks all, might give those a try.

Going to continue to bash around and finally get this thing off road to see how she handles at high speeds in the fields

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    Right now I'm eyeing a few performance mods, and planning out my next engine

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    Almost through my first gallon. About 700 cc left if I were to guess.

Set my front toe to 3* out each side
    Set my front camber to - 3* each side. I think I'm going to dial. the camber back to about -2*

Swapped in a new glowplug and the Losi 3.4 carb

Still trying to figure it out. Factory Losi settings are way off for my truck

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aceniza View Post
    thanks! did you go with Traxxas or Tekno? I hear the Tekno doesn't require drilling and has more adjustability.

Did you lose a lot of articulation? That would be my biggest hesiation

Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing! I had to learn brushless/lipo by trial and error, but it's a lot more expensive and less forviving in the nitro world.

Sent from my Sig Sauer
    Man isn't that the truth! Got my son a slayer pro and Revo for myself last summer. My son blew his 3.3 in the first month. Very expensive lessons in the nitro world. We love it though. Something about the sound and smell of the nitro engines that you don't get from electric.

I'm looking forward to see how the Losi carb does for you. I've been on the fence about getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    1 month in and I broke my first part - that's a long, long time in RC years.
    It was just a rod end, luckily someone told me to buy spares, which I did.
    lower ball joint thing popped out as well, but no damage.

What I don't understand is why, oh why, I didn't have them with me.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Champion
    Congrads man, looks great. Personally I've never understood why people immediately "hop up" a $500 truck? Seems like a waste. If you're going to customize it you're better off and will save more money buying a roller but to each their own. I'm glad you're enjoying the REVO, good stuff!

RC poster
    Build is looking great! I loved unboxing my revo, there's just something about it. I'm digging the front bumper too.
    "I JUST WANNA GO FAST!"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrorea View Post
    Congrads man, looks great. Personally I've never understood why people immediately "hop up" a $500 truck? Seems like a waste. If you're going to customize it you're better off and will save more money buying a roller but to each their own. I'm glad you're enjoying the REVO, good stuff!
    Because stock sucks haha! I wanted a new truck but there aren't any new rollers. Plus I have stock backups if the new parts ever fail
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingazel View Post
    Build is looking great! I loved unboxing my revo, there's just something about it. I'm digging the front bumper too.
    Thanks. I wasn't too happy with the shade of blue, but they function great!

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    With my learning curve, and the need to mod... i figure a new motor might come sooner than later.

When mine lets go, I plan to have a ported/modded one ready to go.

Here's the start!

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    Hey aceniza, I'm interested in how you set up the RX portion of your Revo. The 2400 mah LiPo battery with LVA and BEC in particular, is what I have a few questions about.

Firstly, is there a special charger that must be bought to charge RX Lipo batteries?

Secondly, I'm not too familiar with BEC and was wondering why a battery elimination circuit had to be installed with your setup... is it because of the LVA sharing voltage with the servos?

Also, I noticed on your EZ start that you mentioned no BEC but you have a LVA.

So I guess my ultimate question is why do you need a BEC in the RX battery compartment?

By the way, nice job on everything so far, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the Revo 3.3 in the future.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Hey aceniza, I'm interested in how you set up the RX portion of your Revo. The 2400 mah LiPo battery with LVA and BEC in particular, is what I have a few questions about.

Firstly, is there a special charger that must be bought to charge RX Lipo batteries?

Secondly, I'm not too familiar with BEC and was wondering why a battery elimination circuit had to be installed with your setup... is it because of the LVA sharing voltage with the servos?

Also, I noticed on your EZ start that you mentioned no BEC but you have a LVA.

So I guess my ultimate question is why do you need a BEC in the RX battery compartment?

By the way, nice job on everything so far, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the Revo 3.3 in the future.
    The BEC regulates the voltage to 6v (or 5v). The Traxxas 6533 (Rx) doesn't have a built in BEC. This protects your servos from getting 7.4v (8.4v fully charged) from the 2s lipo.

The lipo charges just like any other lipo, with a balance charger.

For the EZ Start wand, I didn't think the voltage would harm it. I dunno haha.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    The BEC regulates the voltage to 6v (or 5v). The Traxxas 6533 (Rx) doesn't have a built in BEC. This protects your servos from getting 7.4v (8.4v fully charged) from the 2s lipo.

The lipo charges just like any other lipo, with a balance charger.

For the EZ Start wand, I didn't think the voltage would harm it. I dunno haha.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

Do you mean that there are micro-receivers that have BEC? I thought that only applied to vehicles with ESC's.

Is your 2400 mah Rx LiPo battery a 7.2 or 7.4 volt battery?

Oh, and thanks for your quick reply to my previous questions
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.

RC Competitor
    my lipo is a 2s, whatever that is. 7.2, 7.4 lol.

I don't believe many, if any, micro-receivers have BECs.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    Hey aceniza, do you have a link to the BEC that your using to regulate the voltage to your servos or a part number?

Any special wiring between the battery, Rx and servos such as plug adapters?

You said Shoehorn and Tetris skill, so I'm assuming you Jerry rigged something to make it all work.

Also, did you have to program the BEC with like a castle link or something?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.

RC Competitor
    this is what I used

US Ship Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A Switch-mode UBEC, Max 5A Lowest RF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZNWOYY..._bPz0ybCDYWJTJ

it came from china,so it took forever. there are other sellers though.

depending on the vehicle, it might be physically large. it takes a lot of finesse to fit it in the Rx box of my Revo.

no programming needed, theres a jumper to select either 5v or 6v output. I bought some JR connectors and have it so it plugs in inline.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    my Revo got a buddy

I don't know the full story, i think it was put together out of spare parts. every single piece of it is brand new and unused though. Even has a Traxxas remote start in channel 3

its about 95% complete, needs boots all around (dry rot) and a good once over with bearing oil and grease.

might do this one as a street build based on the ProLine Rat Rod

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    this is what I used

US Ship Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A Switch-mode UBEC, Max 5A Lowest RF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZNWOYY..._bPz0ybCDYWJTJ

it came from china,so it took forever. there are other sellers though.

depending on the vehicle, it might be physically large. it takes a lot of finesse to fit it in the Rx box of my Revo.

no programming needed, theres a jumper to select either 5v or 6v output. I bought some JR connectors and have it so it plugs in inline.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

You probably had trouble fitting the BEC in the RX box because you have a low voltage alarm stuffed in there too from what I saw in your earlier pictures. Or, do you think it would be a tight fit either way?

When you state that you bought some JR connectors and have it so it plugs in inline, what do you mean by that?

Thanks for sharing the BEC link.

RC Competitor
    yeah there's a lot stuffed in there

the BEC goes right after the lipo, so NO component in the truck gets anything but 6v.

battery > bec > Rx

JR connectors are the little 2 or 3 wire connectors that plug into your receiver. the skinny/flat things.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    yeah there's a lot stuffed in there

the BEC goes right after the lipo, so NO component in the truck gets anything but 6v.

battery > bec > Rx

JR connectors are the little 2 or 3 wire connectors that plug into your receiver. the skinny/flat things.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

The BEC you linked me to has the JR connector. So why did you need to buy more? Is it so that it (BEC) plugs into the battery?

In which case, it leads me to the question of what the plug looks like on your RX battery.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-21-2017 at 08:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yep, its got bare wires on the other end.

Might also need one for your balance charger if you don't have one already.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, its got bare wires on the other end.

Might also need one for your balance charger if you don't have one already.

Sent from my Sig Sauer

What, a JR connector? I thought balance chargers took the JST-XH plugs. Now I'm confused partner??? LoL.

To clarify, what is the plug (connector) on the end of your Rx battery... does it have like 2 or 3 different ends sticking out of the battery?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 03-21-2017 at 09:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    jst is way different

battery uses JR, just like stock battery. all the rx/servo connections use JR connectors

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    jst is way different

battery uses JR, just like stock battery. all the rx/servo connections use JR connectors

Sent from my Sig Sauer

Got it! Thanks again for your patience through my questions.
    Are there special RX battery chargers or can I use a Traxxas charger to charge a little LiPo that small?

RC Competitor
    lipos need to be balance charged with a balance charger

if you don't have experience with lipos, you need to do some research on the risks and care/maintenance.

battery + charger, lipo pouch, connectors... minimum $70

FWIW i use the Venom Lipo, VNR15000

$31 on amazon from Horizon

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Competitor
    also, plan to rewire my setup with the BEC after the on/off switch. seems the bec has a constant drain

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC Enthusiast
    lipos need to be balance charged with a balance charger

if you don't have experience with lipos, you need to do some research on the risks and care/maintenance.

battery + charger, lipo pouch, connectors... minimum $70

FWIW i use the Venom Lipo, VNR15000

$31 on amazon from Horizon

Sent from my Sig Sauer

I have experience with the big LiPO's, but looking at the end plugs on those little LiPo's confuses me as to how to connect them to my current chargers. In other words, is there a special charger for those little Rx Lipo's? Traxxas discontinued the one they use for the RX packs they sell.

In other words, is there an adapter to hook to the battery in order to charge it on a Traxxas charger that charges the larger LiPo's? And yes I can chose what "C" rate to charge at.

also, plan to rewire my setup with the BEC after the on/off switch. seems the bec has a constant drain

Sent from my Sig Sauer

You read my mind. I was going to ask you next about the power switch being wired before or after the BEC. I'm also wondering if that LVA has anything to do with it because it looked like it had a digital readout in your pictures... I think it's negligible though when it comes to power consumption - just a random thought.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-22-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    You mentioned port and polishing. I cleaned up the ports and put a single fang on the 2 side ports in a freshly broke in 3.3 yesterday. I have the THS exhaust with a O.S. Carb and when I ran it last night it downright screams. My first shot at it and wasn't sure if I was going to screw it up but it was a success! I did practice on a spare cylinder. Didn't get into any crank work either.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by iaqmaster View Post
    You mentioned port and polishing. I cleaned up the ports and put a single fang on the 2 side ports in a freshly broke in 3.3 yesterday. I have the THS exhaust with a O.S. Carb and when I ran it last night it downright screams. My first shot at it and wasn't sure if I was going to screw it up but it was a success! I did practice on a spare cylinder. Didn't get into any crank work either.
    I'm considering doing it with my first Revo as soon as I hit the 1 gallon mark, which is about 600cc away. Since I'm still a newb, I'm also setting the goal of getting tuning under control by then. Every time I take it out I get better and better. The motor gets stronger and stronger too, which I think makes it easier on me to see where I'm at with the tune.

Even with all the Telemetry sensors, I haven't checked temps for a long while. This motor is way past the point of running "normal", I am just going by sound and performance. If it makes it to 3 gallons I'll be happy, especially being my first Nitro.

What gets me is when I called Traxxas, they gave me a weird answer. Told me my temps were normal, but the motor wouldn't last very long. Even at 4.5 turns out on HSN and 3.5 out on LSN i was running at 290+ in winter weather. Flushed the carb as directed by the Traxxas rep, no clogs. Checked for leaks, none. Just a hit running motor I guess.
    Sent from my Sig Sauer
    Last edited by aceniza; 03-22-2017 at 07:30 AM.

RC poster
    I have been down the overheating road myself. I just got into gas 1-1/2 years ago and know matter how much I read forums I found it was a struggle. The Traxxas carbs have been an issue as they crack under the hsn and it's hard to see. I since went to the OS .21 TM carb on one and Losi 3.4 on the other 2. I have found that fine tuning the hsn and checking the lsn with the 3 second pinch test after each adjustment has gotten me to great performance and 220 degree temps. If you do decide to port and polish you should look at least a better exhaust and carb. I certainly am not the subject matter expert and as you can see, this is my first conversation on here. I am pretty proud of the fact that after some adjustments (tuning) with the porting job that it runs pretty awesome.
    P.S The 3.3 out performs the O.S. .21 TM which cost a fortune. Never again! Now let's see how long it lasts! Lol

RC Competitor
    I am running the losi 3.4 carb now, and temps were better, but still 290+

i have seen 360 on my current motor, both via Telemetry and verified with IR.

she still runs!

Sent from my Sig Sauer

RC poster
    Have you got your Lsn set so it speeds up then quits at about 3-4 seconds when fuel line is pinched closed? That was my tuning problem. I was running to lean on the LSN and overheating. If you adjust the hsn again then check Lsn again. Cost me 2 engines before I figured out why I was always running hot. Those temps are incredible and can't believe it would be normal.

RC Competitor
    i know I was running lean my last bash session, but the throttle stuck and I popped a few suspension pieces. Been super busy lately and haven't had a chance to get her out to tune. I'm almost positive this will be the last peice of my tuning puzzle.
    I may check temps to verify.. maybe... haha

Sent from my Sig Sauer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast