Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    RC Champion
    did you hit full throttle while crawling then?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    Does Traxxas monitor this forum? They should pop in here an address this issue. Are they working on a fix? Do they recognize that there is an issue with this part? Way too many peeps with this issue... I got one on its way from Towwer, when I ordered it I was aware of this but chalked it up as people not knowing the limits of the Summit but that would be inaccurate after reading all the post.
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lcbrink
    Yup. Same place as my rear diff.

And what a real PITA to take apart the front. I demand a Chilton for this car.

not as good, but should help out!!
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=458250
    i wonder if anyone saw this?
    it will be updated...once i start taking stuff apart!

RC Qualifier
    I just ran my first packs through the truck. No issues yet. I hope to not have any but all these problems is disheartening.
    Traxxas Rally, Grave Digger, and LaTrax Alias

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledbrat
    Chalk another one up I broke the same gear. I was driving around in the gravel and went from a stand still to full throttle and broke the gear 5678.

How quick are you guys getting replacements?
    It is going to take 2 days. Call them in the morning, make sure you talk to someone (don't email or leave a message), and ask them to throw in the 100K diff oil, I think it is part #5310.
    Monstered Slash/Mamba Max - Stock Summit

RC Racer
    WOW!!!
    Maybe they should sell these gears in a 10 pack!!!
    If you call them in the morning you should see your part by Wed. if you live West of the Mississippi. HA HA!!!!
    On a serious note. I called on Monday and received the part on Wed. I live in Wyoming. Everyone knows the Pony Express is the only deliverer of packages out here in the sticks since we only have cow trails for roads. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Darn Indians keep holding everything up cuttin the telegraph wires and shootin the Express riders!!!!!

I've ran 7 sets of batteries through mine since I fixed it. Not in any dirt though, only in the snow.
    When I lock the diffs in I am real careful and give it barely any throttle. I've found that the front diff locked is more times than not plenty of power to pull the Summit through.

I've been babying it. I don't want it to happen again!!!! I'm SCARED Icbrink!!!!!!

It is a pretty good crawler though. You just have to choose your line so you approach the obstacle at an angle and not straight on, but then again you guys knew that already. Right? Same rules apply when I run a comp. I will be very interested in seeing how the Summit handles itself on the crawler course.

Sorry to hear about all the broken diff gears. I hope Traxxas finds a fix soon.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 02-15-2009 at 06:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by akrimmel
    did you hit full throttle while crawling then?
    I'm not exactly sure when it broke, but around that time I had blipped the throttle a bit to get over some rocks. Nothing that should have been considered out of the ordinary.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dkur4000
    WOW!!!
    Maybe they should sell these gears in a 10 pack!!!
    If you call them in the morning you should see your part by Wed. if you live West of the Mississippi. HA HA!!!!
    On a serious note. I called on Monday and received the part on Wed. I live in Wyoming. Everyone knows the Pony Express is the only deliverer of packages out here in the sticks since we only have cow trails for roads. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Darn Indians keep holding everything up cuttin the telegraph wires and shootin the Express riders!!!!!

I've ran 7 sets of batteries through mine since I fixed it. Not in any dirt though, only in the snow.
    When I lock the diffs in I am real careful and give it barely any throttle. I've found that the front diff locked is more times than not plenty of power to pull the Summit through.

I've been babying it. I don't want it to happen again!!!! I'm SCARED Icbrink!!!!!!

It is a pretty good crawler though. You just have to choose your line so you approach the obstacle at an angle and not straight on, but then again you guys knew that already. Right? Same rules apply when I run a comp. I will be very interested in seeing how the Summit handles itself on the crawler course.

Sorry to hear about all the broken diff gears. I hope Traxxas finds a fix soon.

My parents say the same thing about the mail service here haha.

No worries about running her in dirt, if you bring it to wheatland I'm sure it will see tons of it .
    What shall I put here?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller13+
    My parents say the same thing about the mail service here haha.

No worries about running her in dirt, if you bring it to wheatland I'm sure it will see tons of it .

But it'll get dirty. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

RC Champion
    But it'll get dirty. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Make sure there is no mud around and dont let me drive and it wont be anymore dirty then this

What shall I put here?

RC Champion
    unless you had a defective pin!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC poster

Add me to the list of broken Summits...same gear.

Quote Originally Posted by markster
    Mine's broke too. Read this thread for more info on how I broke it.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=457937
    Add me to the list of folks with the same broken gear after 15 minutes. One of my wheels got caught in a tarp while climbing over a stack of fire wood with the diffs locked. I could not see that the wheel was completely immobilized after becoming entangled with the tarp. I thought it was just stuck. I tried to power my way free, but broke the diff instead.
    OldSoldier

RC Qualifier
    im sorry to hear that
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Racer
    I have not broke mine yet, but it sounds like it is only a matter of time, hopefully traxxas come out with a better part. But in all fairness, a new machine always has it's teething problems. Not just traxxas. I love mine no matter what. We will get throu this. I hope thou, for us all early adopters, that we recieve updated pieces so this will not happen so often.

RC Champion
    would be nice if they sent the early birds the updated part-- if there is one!
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    thought I would add.. Ive had about 20 sets of Lipos through my Summit now, that part has not failed me. And I beat the snot out of it.

I still think there is a defective batch of parts and its not every model that it effected. If mine had this defect, I surely would have seen it by now.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    I wonder if the extra voltage is making the issue more likely to occur. Has anyone running LiPo's broke the part? My 7 cell NiMh end up around 21V at a full charge for 2 packs, and I think the highest I ever got a 2S LiPo pack was a little over 9V.
    Monstered Slash/Mamba Max - Stock Summit

It should only take about 10 minutes to get a diff out. There are good "how to remove a Revo diff" articles on this site. A short read will save some guys alot of time.

RC Champion
    ^^Yep. After awhile you get used to it and learn all the tricks, the summit will probably take a little bit longer with the T-lock but pretty much same princible.
    What shall I put here?

RC Enthusiast

Both pictures are from this thread--both different parts. Is it just me, or does this looks like a weird place for the part to break? From the looks of it, both of these are broken on the biggest part of the shaft, aren't they? I figured the break would be at that tiny shoulder just next to the break, or the cross hole, or even where the shaft meets the gear. Why would it break there? Gotta be some kind of defect, doesn't it?

RC Champion
    r u saying it broke at the thickest part?
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    All the pics of the broken parts I have seen on this forum have been in the same general area.
    It seems to occur between the bearing and the sliding diff gear. I wonder if the sliding diff gear has anything to do with the breakage? It would seem like the cogs on the sliding diff gear would be the first place it would give. I don't know. Just speculating. . . . . . .

RC Racer
    I called Traxxas earlier today and the customer service guy said that between 1 and 2% was a bad cast and they are aware of it. He also said they did not have these issues during developing and testing.
    Last edited by FPVRustlerVXL; 02-16-2009 at 02:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FPVRustlerVXL
    I called Traxxas earlier today and the customer service guy said that between 1 and 2% was a bad cast and they are aware of it.
    And I rolled snake eyes for both diffs. *Sigh*

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FPVRustlerVXL
    I called Traxxas earlier today and the customer service guy said that between 1 and 2% was a bad cast and they are aware of it.

Could that part be over heat treated ??
    īcos it does not make any sense that it breaks at the big end and not at the shoulder
    I know that another new crawler had an over heat treated issue with a batch of axles
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 02-16-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    I wonder if a machined part would be better than a cast part?

I wonder if Traxxas knows for sure if the parts they are sending out are not a part of that 1%-2%.

I also wonder if a Summit had this bad part in one diff, does that mean that the other diff is bad too or is it luck of the draw?

It seems odd that most everyone reporting this issue reports it as the rear gear.

Just kicking around ideas.

RC Racer
    Looking @ all the people with broken diffs on this thread alone tells me that 1-2% is know where in the ballpark. More like 40% - 60 %.

RC Competitor
    I also wonder if a Summit had this bad part in one diff, does that mean that the other diff is bad too or is it luck of the draw?
    It's the same part in both diffs, so I'm guessing it's more a luck of the assembly and which parts bin your truck was assembled from.

This time however I did not lose the pin

RC Champion
    as well with the reported problem has kept people from pushing their summit, which could mean their is more out there that haven't broken yet.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    I have pushed mine really hard between high speed bashing and very torquey crawling and so far haven't broken a thing. Today my 8 year old nephew was bashing hard between jumps and smashing into a metal bench at full speed with no damage at all. So far so good!
    Sig edited for content.

RC Champion
    wasn't try to single anyone out was just speaking in general,,i know my self i have curtailed my habbits with the summit.. know my 3905emaxx that is a different story.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas will take of this issue I'm sure. For all that have the truck now and are having the problem hang in there. Traxxas stands behind there products.

RC Qualifier
    wasn't try to single anyone out was just speaking in general,,i know my self i have curtailed my habbits with the summit.. know my 3905emaxx that is a different story.
    A $12 part would never change the way I drive something.. Personally, I trust what Traxxas said about it being 1-2%. I say use it the way you like, and IF it breaks, worry about it then.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    I just got off the phone reporting my breakage. The guy told me that they believe a batch "didn't get hardened". Not sure what that means but it sounds like they've found something wrong and the part isn't they way it is supposed to be.

RC Champion
    i doubt that this part has any way of being tracked to narrow this BAD BATCH down. if there is great.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!

RC Racer
    So what is the next step? Stainless?
    Stainless wouldn't be as hard as heat treated steel.

RC Qualifier
    HSS steel, the next step would be carbon steel or carbide, carbide is strong but extremely fragile at the same time, I'd say Carbon steel

RC Racer
    When I get the new part in, I'm not going to baby it, I want to make sure the replacement part going in the rear is good and I'm going to see if the gear in the front can handle the torque and is good, rather break another gear earlier than later.

Also, the reason the rear gear is breaking over the front is because of weight transfer, when you launch, most of the weight is being pushed by the rear diff.

RC Qualifier
    i doubt that this part has any way of being tracked to narrow this BAD BATCH down. if there is great.
    They've been asking people to send the broken part in...so...being an optimist for a moment...if the broken parts that they are getting back are unlike parts from a "normal batch" then this could indicate a bad batch...

RC Champion
    well if they build these in order by the number on the chassis and compair the broken parts to chassis numbers it could be done that way possibly.
    EMAXX-x2,SUMMIT
    RUSTLER VXL
    FERRITE RINGS PM ME!