Thread: Tranny issues?

RC Champion

Tranny issues?

Hey guys, I just got a used summit off a friend. I'm not new to RC but never owned a summit. The truck won't go into high gear. It will stay in low or just rev and grind a little. The grinding is not often or really loud and where it stays in low 1/2 the time when I try to put in high, could it be the servo or end points not letting the tranny parts move all the way out of low and into high? Do you think the problem is inside the tranny? I want to make sure the servo and linkage is set right before I spend the time pulling apart the tranny. My buddy bought the truck new and as far as I know he never touched the linkage or adjusted the end points for the servo. How would I make sure the linkage is set right? Thanks for any help. Other than that, the truck runs great. I love it!
    Shaggy...

RC Qualifier
    I would try adding some lube to the shift pin on the tranny then work it by hand a few times.
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

RC Champion
    Thanks! I took another look at it last night and I can shift it by hand and the tranny seems to be fine. I think the spring in the linkage is worn out and the parts are only $4 so ill replace that. Is there a way to lube the shift pin without taking the tranny apart? I was always good at figuring out and tuning linkage but is there anything I should know or any tips for when I replace the spring? Thanks allot!
    Shaggy...

RC Qualifier
    There's no need to take the tranny apart. The shift pin has a small rubber boot you can slide forward . Put some lube on the pin while shifting the tranny by hand. If that doesn't work then try replacing the spring.
    OVERKILL,10Sum,16Sum,Xo1,MMSlas,44Stamp,Rus,16Ral

Search for "sticky shift issue"
    It's a minor adjustment.
    That will get rid of the sticky shifting problem.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried