RC Qualifier
    Somewhere between Nitropia and Electropia.

Spitting Fuel/Oil Thru The Exhaust Pipe

My .15 engine now got this problem...I know it's an old engine but is this can be cured? The lean and rich setting needle adjusting still didn't help...it's not exactly fuel, it's thicker like oil...any ideas?

It is probably just unburned castor oil that is mixed with the fuel. They all will spit/drip oil out of the pipe. The amount of unburned fuel/oil it spits/drips is related to the tune of the engine. A richer tune will spit more, a leaner tune will spit less.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    It is probably just unburned castor oil that is mixed with the fuel. They all will spit/drip oil out of the pipe. The amount of unburned fuel/oil it spits/drips is related to the tune of the engine. A richer tune will spit more, a leaner tune will spit less.
    T
    hanks snook man, this happened all sudden, yesterday everything's fine...then I just noticed there's oil too in that blue aluminum chassis area..near the manifold...I already did the lean and rich settings while the engine is running and watch the exhaust pipe..the spitting doesn't even change!...Old fuel probably?

RC Qualifier
    no its normal my engines do it to
    TRUST
    +25/-0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dshaw
    no its normal my engines do it to
    Are u sure?...if I keep my engine idling just for 10 seconds, then the floor is already splilled with annoying quantity of oil... ...Is this a sign that I have to throw the engine inside the dust bin?

RC Qualifier
    try a new glow plug and see if that helps.Could be glow plug is almost shot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by texazbadboy
    try a new glow plug and see if that helps.Could be glow plug is almost shot!
    4 glow plugs dead after this symptom...what a waste of money...is this about bad or expired fuel?

Probably not bad fuel...Sounds like you are running too rich.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    lean out your low side also.This is when then engine is starting so if your too rich you'll burn out your plug also

RC Qualifier
    Finally! my .15 is dead! Bearing was shot...and the good news is there's no replacement parts for this engine because it's sooo old....lucky, I got this almost new half priced 2.5...let me see how this little !@#$%er go...thx everybody...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    cant you just replace the bearing or did it brake some other parts also?
    If you don't like Nitro, you don't like anything!

RC Enthusiast
    go on ebay ^^ ull find a cheap engine at a great price! thts were i get all my stuff ^^
    "KEEP ON ROLLIN"

RC Qualifier
    Your gonna be very happy with your new engine. The difference between an old half dead .15 to a fairly new 2.5 is pretty impressive.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch_639
    cant you just replace the bearing or did it brake some other parts also?
    My LHS said "Dude, this is very old engine...we have no stock of replacement parts...just mod it into a keychain...at least it's still useful".... ...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    Your gonna be very happy with your new engine. The difference between an old half dead .15 to a fairly new 2.5 is pretty impressive.
    yup...scary at first...excited at last...now got problem with my driveshafts...and popping shock caps after several big jumps...seems like infinite damage
    Last edited by dirtworks; 12-06-2008 at 02:09 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtworks
    My LHS said "Dude, this is very old engine...we have no stock of replacement parts...just mod it into a keychain...at least it's still useful".... ...
    Dude, please don't go back to that LHS. What he told you was total BS. He should stock parts for that engine because it is still in production today.

How do know the bearings are bad? IMO, this is a simple tuning problem. You can't just play with the needles and expect to see a change in the amount of un-burnt oil coming out of the exhaust.You need to "tune" the engine. Traxxas has plenty of info in tuning the .15.

When nitro engines go bad, they will just stop running when they get up to running temp and cannot be restarted until they are fully cooled.

BTW, here are replacement bearings for the trx .15.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJL70&P=7
    A wopping 15 bucks.
    Last edited by NStampede Freak; 12-06-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5