Thread: LiPo's on EVX2

RC Racer

LiPo's on EVX2

Well I'm after an E-Revo in th near future, and I've heard talk of running LiPo's on the stock EVX2 ESC. Now I want to clear up whether it is possible or not? And what method of LVC is used (I know it will be an external cutoff, but what rating, 2 or 4s?)
    Thanks,
    Matt

RC Qualifier
    You should so a search as I think its been discussed many times. I am going to be doing the same with 8000mah 2s lipos in the very near future. I am not going to run an lvc, but thats just me. I think you need to put a 2S external lvc on the bec side of the pack into the speedcontrol. I think you need 2 lvc one for each pack in order to guarantee your packs are safe.

RC Racer
    I know what LiPo's I will need, I know what charger and balancer to use etc etc from past experience, but I basically need to know how do people connect up an LVC to the stock ESC?
    Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Walk this way my good man:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=72

Everything you need to know dude
    Dont consult me, just read the FAQ.

RC Racer
    Yes i would run the Novak 2S LVC on the BEC side.Both lipoes will be fine.The BEC side draws more current and is always at a little lower voltage than the non BEC side.I check the Voltage differences from time to time on the charger and the BEC side has always been lower.But i had a run in with the ground wire melting and am hearing of it happening to others with a LVC and Lipos with the EVX2.Not sure if it has ever happen to someone with nimh....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessman
    I thought the same thing. These look cool.

you know what stopped me?

the track I run at is infested with noisy nitro trucks LOL

I wont hear it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle
    Walk this way my good man:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....4&postcount=72

Everything you need to know dude
    Thanks for that, its cleared up all i need to know

I just time my runs. That way I know exactly how much I am draining my lipos. It sounds like a pain but has worked for me. I just don't like depending on a $20 piece of electronics to protect my $250+ in lipos. I also do it a bit different...I don't take my lipos past 80% discharge. So with my 6000mah lipos I don't take out more than 4800 to 5000mah out of the packs.
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Hey Hoov- if you cant hear your LVC, how about seeing it:

http://brchobbies.com/?page=shop&action=additem&item=70

Available in 2s, 3s and 4s flavour, the LED lights up bright red when the voltage dips below 3.0v per cell- the more it dips below, the brighter it becomes- very handy to see if your cells have a good/accurate burst rating, and to see when they are staying below 3.0v per cell during normal running (not punching the throttle). Worked for me....

RC Competitor
    I use the Novak Smart Stop 2cell on the BEC side of the EVX-2. It has an LED but I never notice untill the throttle interupt kicks in. I have had no issue with the ground wire, but my titans were no match for the Lipos...
    erevo, 1515 1y f, MMM, 2x 2s 6500 Hyperion, 3pm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    those look pretty cool too!

honestly, I was just playin devils advocate....the buzzer may work just fine.

I use the lvc in the mmm

RC Qualifier

Available in 2s, 3s and 4s flavour, the LED lights up bright red when the voltage dips below 3.0v per cell- the more it dips below, the brighter it becomes- very handy to see if your cells have a good/accurate burst rating, and to see when they are staying below 3.0v per cell during normal running (not punching the throttle). Worked for me....
    They work really nicely - and the LED is a lot brighter than the Novak LVC one. I have a Novak LVC on the BEC side, and then I have one of those BRC liposaver lights with a female balance tap on the other side, just plugged into the balance tap of the other lipo, with the LED on the wing. I know I shouldn't need it, but I might accidentally plug the Kraeger harness into the non-BEC side, or I might not have charged the one lipo properly, or I might be paranoid... but it gives peace of mind for 4. Even though it is on te non-BEC side, I notice that it does sometimes just start to flicker on just before the LVC kicks in, which is reassuring. (The voltage threshold is a little higher than 3v.)
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Racer
    Philly how many runs...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefisherking
    They work really nicely - and the LED is a lot brighter than the Novak LVC one. I have a Novak LVC on the BEC side, and then I have one of those BRC liposaver lights with a female balance tap on the other side, just plugged into the balance tap of the other lipo, with the LED on the wing. I know I shouldn't need it, but I might accidentally plug the Kraeger harness into the non-BEC side, or I might not have charged the one lipo properly, or I might be paranoid... but it gives peace of mind for 4. Even though it is on te non-BEC side, I notice that it does sometimes just start to flicker on just before the LVC kicks in, which is reassuring. (The voltage threshold is a little higher than 3v.)
    Cool, nice to see someone else using one. If they decide to make a 5 and 6s version, that wouod be sweet, but I can jerry-rig the 4s version to work on my 5s lipos easily enough- doing that tomorrow actually since it will be raining and I have the day off...