Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Unhappy I got an F on my report card

My English teacher gave me an F on my report card. Naturally my dad is as angry as I've ever seen him. A C was a rare sight on any of my reports before today.

My punishment is I've lost all my privileges indefinitely and I have to quit my job at Hobby Town which is the only thing I've succeeded at on a grand scale in years. (that also means I lose my income and employee discount of course)
    Last edited by RustlerRacer16; 10-21-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but your teacher didn't give you an F, you earned it by doing badly on your assignments. If she/he truely is treating you unfairly, have your parents call someone higher up and complain.
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC Champion
    I have to agree with aussiek2000. In my opnion your dad has done exactly what he should do. May I ask why you got an F?
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    Teacher do not give F's you have to earn them. Sounds like your parents are doing the right thing. If you are not responsible enough to pull in the good grades, you are not responsible enough for a job.

Like aussiek2000 said. If your teacher "gave" you an F and you did not earn it through poor quality or no work done (the way I earned all mine) then have your parents bring it up with the principal and take it from there.
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Champion
    Is the job the reason why you performed poorly in class?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It is true that we earn our grades. No question.

I got an F for a few reasons:
    We have weekly vocabulary quizzes on words from our book. We are expected to study the definitions from the book, then we get the quiz and it has different definitions. Most students do poorly on these.

A main focus of the class is argumentative writing. I've always been a bad writer. I always try anyway of course. So I struggle for hours writing an essay with no help from my parents because my mom can't write either and my dad refuses to use his wealth of knowledge to help me. I typically get Cs on the writings.

Last but certainly not least, we have discussions about hidden details in literature. If I'm bad at writing, I'm horrible at picking out details in books. I can read a book and tell you what happened, but I can't tell you why the title Wuthering Heights is significant. So I always get an F on the discussions.

This is an AP English course. I'm sure some of you will ask "Why are you taking a course you can't do well in?" My answer is it was not my choice. I chose my electives. My father picks my core classes for me and since he is a perfectionist, I'm expected to get As in all the top classes. He does this to me because nobody pushed him in school when he was young and he did poorly so he wants me to be better than him (perfect).
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by djjr50
    Is the job the reason why you performed poorly in class?
    Absolutely not. In no way did my job take time away that would have helped me get a better grade.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    Wow. A solid F.
    I gotta say, that's pretty pathetic. You have to be doing darn near nothing at all to get an F.
    That's what I call motivation.
    What grade are you in?
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    If you are not responsible enough to pull in the good grades, you are not responsible enough for a job.
    In my case, there is no correlation between responsibility and good grades. I've always been responsible and I've always made good grades but just because I made a bad grade does not make me irresponsible.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher
    Wow. A solid F.
    I gotta say, that's pretty pathetic. You have to be doing darn near nothing at all to get an F.
    What grade are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    It is true that we earn our grades. No question.

I got an F for a few reasons:
    We have weekly vocabulary quizzes on words from our book. We are expected to study the definitions from the book, then we get the quiz and it has different definitions. Most students do poorly on these.

A main focus of the class is argumentative writing. I've always been a bad writer. I always try anyway of course. So I struggle for hours writing an essay with no help from my parents because my mom can't write either and my dad refuses to use his wealth of knowledge to help me. I typically get Cs on the writings.

Last but certainly not least, we have discussions about hidden details in literature. If I'm bad at writing, I'm horrible at picking out details in books. I can read a book and tell you what happened, but I can't tell you why the title Wuthering Heights is significant. So I always get an F on the discussions.

This is an AP English course. I'm sure some of you will ask "Why are you taking a course you can't do well in?" My answer is it was not my choice. I chose my electives. My father picks my core classes for me and since he is a perfectionist, I'm expected to get As in all the top classes. He does this to me because nobody pushed him in school when he was young and he did poorly so he wants me to be better than him (perfect).
    I assume you read this? I'm in 11th grade, 17 years old. 4.1 GPA currently.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Racer
    Wow. A solid F.
    What grade are you in?
    What’s your problem? AP English is equivalent to a college English course. I never have done well in English, so I never took AP, but I can understand where this kid is coming from. I actually just got a 55% on my Language in US society midterm, but thank god its only 15% of the grade and if I do well on the final my professor will make the midterm 0% and the final 30% for me. My advice, from someone who skated through high school and now is facing the real world of intense college courses is to go talk to your teacher and see where you went wrong and what you can do to correct the problem. I'm assuming this "F" was only for the quarter so you still have time to bring the grade up to a b or a c so just work your butt off next quarter and prove to your dad what you are capable of.
    Also, in high school I never took an AP course, and I regret coming to college with 0 credits. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20

Hope this helps, PM me if you need any more help or whatever
    Peace

RC Racer
    4.1 GPA? You have nothing to worry about man. But, like everyone says, junior year is the most intensive year of school(college not included) so just keep your nose up and work hard and reap the benefits of a easy senior year. Thats what I did at least.

RC Champion
    Wow. A solid F.
    What grade are you in?
    Technically, an F = below 65 or 60%. So you can get an 'F' by giving a little more than half an effort. But it is still pretty bad.

RC Champion
    No. I did not read that because I was typing as you were... noted by the time stamps.

However, I still have to side with your father. I'm sure he's not expecting "perfection," he's expecting you to do the best you can. Any student doing the best he can will find it very hard to get an F. Perhaps a D, or even a C. A completely failing grade? That's rather hard to come by otherwise.

If you knew that the vocabulary quizes are hard (as you seemed to based on your observation of other students doing poorly) then you should have studied harder. Harsh? No. Realistic. That is the expectation of some one taking an Advanced Placement English class.

A kid's "job" is to do well in school. If more time is needed, then an optional job at a hobby shop must be given up. A kid otherwise has all the time in the day to focus on learning. Study, study, study.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    69% is an F here. I got a 66.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No. I did not read that because I was typing as you were... noted by the time stamps.

However, I still have to side with your father. I'm sure he's not expecting "perfection," he's expecting you to do the best you can. Any student doing the best he can will find it very hard to get an F. Perhaps a D, or even a C. A completely failing grade? That's rather hard to come by otherwise.

If you knew that the vocabulary quizes are hard (as you seemed to based on your observation of other students doing poorly) then you should have studied harder. Harsh? No. Realistic. That is the expectation of some one taking an Advanced Placement English class. the answers she tells us to study are completely different from the answers on the quiz. its stacked against us.

A kid's "job" is to do well in school. If more time is needed, then an optional job at a hobby shop must be given up. A kid otherwise has all the time in the day to focus on learning. Study, study, study. I already said that I don't need more time. The job has nothing to do with it. Making me quit mis merely punishment.
    Ok?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    Ok?
    It seems like that's probably part of it. A good teacher will not teach to the test. A good teacher will make you think and teach you to learn rather than give you a bunch of facts, expect you to memorize them, and then test you on them later.

Now that you know how the tests are administered, you can adjust and adapt.
    It's obvious you want to do well. And you can do it.

This story sure brings back memories.I know how you feel,but I also must say that I was a complete waste of oxygen,especially in my senior year.I did a ton of irresponsible stuff that I would surely not mention here nor recommend that anyone else try doing.Alot of my high school years are still a blur to me .But with that being said,I somehow never managed to get an "F" on my report card.I'm sure I probably deserved one,but somehow I just skimmed by and made it to graduation.And let me tell you,they were glad to see me go!I don't know all the details surrounding your grade,but I would imagine that you would have to go out of your way to get an "F".Maybe I'm wrong though.I did have one particular teacher that handed out a bunch of F's one particular semester.I somehow didn't get one,which is suprising because I totally lost it one day and went after that guy in the middle of class! Not a smart move by the way .Anyway,he gave alot of failing grades on report cards to some people who were even straight "A" students.Needless to say,that didn't go over too well with their parents.It was this guys first year teaching at our school,and ended up being his last.Just goes to show that every once in a great while things like this can happen even though you didn't desrve it.Teachers are human,just like the rest of us,and they are surely not perfect.Only you know if you really earned your grade or not and it is up to you to decide whether it is worht fighting.Chances are,you were just being a slacker like every other teenager who has ever walked the Earth.My only suggestion is to do like I did:just try a little harder next time.I wouldn't go all out and try to pull an "A" next time,but IMO a "D" would be acceptable after getting an "F" .It's sad,but that's my honest opinion and it's the way I've always looked at things.Guess that's why I'm not a doctor or lawyer now.

Better yet,don't take my advice at all or you may end up working in a body shop too!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    Chances are,you were just being a slacker like every other teenager who has ever walked the Earth.
    I'm actually writing my essay this week about why my generation is so slack. That's definitely not me. It makes me sick how lame so many of my peers are.

To paraphrase a few of those who have voiced their opinions here "you have to try for an F" I'm not really sure how that is always fact.

For example, in my Hospitality, Management/Operations class, 52% of the kids are failing (69 or lower). I have a 95. Those kids are trying to fail essentially by doing NO work.

In the class in question (AP Lang) I'm in over my head. I'm not AP material and I would never have chosen it. I could do fine in a standard honors course. I'm trying to do well. My skills aren't good enough.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkonwater
    What’s your problem? AP English is equivalent to a college English course.
    An entry level College English Class at best. A 4 on the AP exam is equivalent to a 100 level writing course at the college I went to.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Champion
    In the class in question (AP Lang) I'm in over my head. I'm not AP material and I would never have chosen it. I could do fine in a standard honors course. I'm trying to do well. My skills aren't good enough.
    Holy crap.

What kind of attitude is that?

I hate it when I hear my son say he can't do something. With such negativity, it's easy to fail. ...Maybe even a certainty. (That's a weird oxymoron.)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Holy crap.

What kind of attitude is that?

I hate it when I hear my son say he can't do something. With such negativity, it's easy to fail. ...Maybe even a certainty. (That's a weird oxymoron.)
    I hear you, I really do. My dad says the same thing.

I never said that for a few years of honors English classes where I managed Bs consistently (never Cs). But even then I was a bad writer. I wasn't always negative, but doing bad in writing just wore me down.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    Dad's are usually right.

Just get over yourself.

Maybe you need a better environment when you're doing work. Believe it or not I actually could work better when I had background noise... ya, like a tv. I tried music, but it was too redundant (rhythms, song lengths, etc) for something that I intentionally wasn't paying attention to.

Maybe sit outside on a table. Nature is relaxing and inspiring. Sitting at a kitchen table or a desk in your bedroom with silence isn't always the best thing. I hate library settings.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Maybe you need a better environment when you're doing work. Believe it or not I actually could work better when I had background noise... ya, like a tv. I tried music, but it was too redundant (rhythms, song lengths, etc) for something that I intentionally wasn't paying attention to.
    I agree, there is nothing I like better than having the history channel on in the background as I am solving non linear differential equations or doing a research paper.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Qualifier
    I hear you on honors english... Pleh... I am a sophomore, and I am in the highest level english I can take (called Pre-AP II)... We have already read two books, Animal Farm, and Anthem, and had to write a LONG essay on the elements of the allegory and take an ESSAY test. Now, we are having a mock election throughout the different blocks (hours) of Pre-AP II... it is supposed to help us learn how to analyze more effectively... Last night, I had to write a 4-page analysis of a campaign ad.... AAHHHHH

Oh well, it isn't as bad as it could be, my teacher is probably the coolest english teacher around....

I find that what helps me write it to plan an outline, and then do completely nothing that was on it... who knows, I have always been a decent writer, but I also haven't been graded hard until now....

But anyways.... Good luck with your english grades... my parents are at Parent/Teacher FACE-TO-FACE conferences right now, and my engineering grade isn't looking too great...
    4909 Maxx, OS 18TZ BEAST

RC Racer
    well i have 3 boys and a girl,,,my oldest had a job in high school,after school from 16 to graduation at the same place.
    he's a smart kid,,never needed to study,always maintained honor roll,,he decided one year 11th to be a real smarty,, he would just pass all his tests and exams,and not worry so much about class work,and home work,, well the teacher was a smarty too,,she counted class work and homework for 65% of there grades,,guess what...he got an f in his english (too) i was up set yes,, i took away everything but his job. xbox,phone,nights out with the guys,no dates with his girl friend,odometer reading every time he left and came back from work,NO detours till the next report card,,,boy did that grade come up and stay up,, a job teaches responcibility,and matures youngsters and makes them appreciate the value of a dollar when they have to spend there own, ground the heck out of them if need be,, but dont take a job away. thats punishment that doesnt fit the crime.
    didnt see that one coming..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZORRIK
    a job teaches responcibility,and matures youngsters and makes them appreciate the value of a dollar when they have to spend there own, ground the heck out of them if need be,, but dont take a job away. thats punishment that doesnt fit the crime.
    OMG! Thank you!!
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    i see what your saying rusty racer. This class is definetly not your best class. Im by no means and honor student. But i know what its like when you get into a class thats not your best subject. Im also the same age as you but my parents wont let me have a job to focus on my studies. I think you might wanna try to sit down with your parents or a guidance counselor to see if maybe you could bump down a level. One of teachers told me that an A an a normal level class is better than a C in an honors level class. wether that is true or not. Luckily my parents didnt force me to take AP classes becuase they know i couldnt handle it. Hopefully your dad will understand and possibly everything will work out in the end. either that or your teacher will give some extra credit or something to help you out or something like that.
    i might be back with a vegence

RC Qualifier
    Frog season opens at sunset June 30th and closes October 31 every year.
    I didn't read the all the post but I'd still like to say something. It's great that your father pushes you in school but you need to have a talk with him or better both of your parents. They understand the importance of school but seem to be missing the fact that homework( more so home work that you don't understand) is a familiy affair and they should be sitting with you and helping you understand some of these concepts that are evading you. If they don't or can't then you seem smart enough to track down someone that can help you. Find a smart cute person of the opposite sex and become study partners. Having someone around doing the same type of work you are doing is incredibly valuable. You will both learn more quicker. You seem smart, go prove it.
    Get your vote on.

RC Qualifier
    why don't you drop to regular english. im a junior also. im taking 4 ap's in private school and it is difficult. i had to drop from AP english to regular also. go ask your advisor or ap english teacher to drop down to regular english.

RC Qualifier
    why don't you drop to regular english. im a junior also. im taking 3 ap's, 1 honors and 1 regular class in private school and it is difficult. i had to drop from AP english to regular also. go ask your advisor or ap english teacher to drop down to regular english.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    O man thats not good. I am surprised your parents still let you on the computer. The worst grade I have ever got was a C and I got grounded for that lol. Although right now I have a C in Geometry(my worst subject) but I havent got my report card mid terms were last week. I dont think I am very good in english but I am in advanced English lol. Last year we read the Odyssey and 1984 and we had vocabulary quizzes and I alwayse did bad on them and didnt study them that much I wish I had though. That term I had the best grades I have ever got. I had a:
    A
    A-
    A-
    A
    B+
    and guess what the B+ was in Adv. English I had a 89.46 if I would have studied just one quiz maybe 5 minuets longer I would have had a 4 point and got 100 dollars. Just goes to show always study.

Although they shouldnt have made you quit your job.
    ⓘ ©ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would love to drop down. But it's too late.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    I would love to drop down. But it's too late.
    oh that's weird. at my school if you get a note from your parents and you teacher agrees, then you can switch. go talk to your teacher and ask them about it. you never know...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    At my school you have 2 weeks to switch classes if there is still opining.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    We get 3 days.

I refuse to talk to my teacher. She is really really mean. She has a Napoleon complex. She only teaches so she can have power over kids (she's very small).
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok that dosnt sound like a fun class although most arnt fun. I have had teachers like that. This is what I think if you go to aplie to a collage and they look at your grades they see all A`s and B`s and maybe the occasional C than one F I bet they will just think its a fluke I bet.

RC Champion
    I see all good points being made here.

A 4.1 GPA is way better then what most can achieve.
    Having a job while attending school is what a whole lot of people do in life.
    Its ok to "suck" in a subject. Everybody can't be good in everything.
    I was a 4.0 student as well, and one class was way beyond me. I still couldn't get it after 2 weeks, so I switch.

I'm hard on my son as well when it comes to schoolwork. I don't care if he is 6, he has to do whatever is required of him from school. I support him if he needs help, but I will not let him tell me that he can't do it. If he does, I try to show him an alternative to find the solution. My parents never helped me with any of my schoolwork, but yet was expected to be perfect. It taught me independence, but I believe I could of achieved way more if my parents had supported me. So try to speak to your parents about it and see if they can help you with some of the things. This will also give them the opportunity to learn something new.
    Last edited by snellemin; 10-21-2008 at 07:13 PM.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    69% is an F here. I got a 66.
    wow thats harsh. here <%50 is an F, 50-59 is a D, 60-69 is a C, 70-79 is a B, and 80+ is an A
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Competitor
    HTF do you get a 4.1?

When I went through school like 10 years ago, 4.0 was the highest. What does the scale go up to now?
    My radness can not be quantified.