A NOS/Mod SRT Build

Hey guys. So I have amassed enough parts to build myself an SRT from scratch with a few mods here and there. See the "all parts" picture below:

Finished up my first Pro-ball differential last night!

And now the transmission is just awaiting bearings from AVID RC

Stay tuned for more!
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC poster
    no metal gears in the transmission?

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Looks like an awesome build. +1 to punkshere2stay you should really put metal gears in the tranny.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

RC poster
    unless your putting some stock speed brushed motor in there i wouldn't run the plastic gears .. and if your going to put some high turn or brushless set up in it i wouldn't run the ball diff...

RC Enthusiast
    Wrong..lol..The SRT transmission is indeed the same as the Mag tranny. The proper way to build this tranny for the SRT especially using the balldiff is to use the Delrin machined top gear and Aluminum Machined idler gear. This was the proper race set up. The machined gears create excellent mesh and super smooth and silent tranny. With the slipper and Balldiff working the way it should this set up will handle more power then you think... The newer gears are indeed tougher but not made to the tolerances of this set up and are designed for basher duty..not race duty as the SRT was designed for. I would assume this build is not a basher..lol...Very sweet build....more...please...

Did i hear mention of NOS? Like N2O? Like nitrous oxide?
    Brushless Everything

For the gears, I am using the machined gears and the ball diff. This is definitely built more towards the racing side of things. The ball diff can handle decent brushless power. This won't be a crazy over-powered build like most Rusty's are these days.

Also NOS stands for "New-Old Stock" haha.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia206 View Post
    For the gears, I am using the machined gears and the ball diff. This is definitely built more towards the racing side of things. The ball diff can handle decent brushless power. This won't be a crazy over-powered build like most Rusty's are these days.

Also NOS stands for "New-Old Stock" haha.
    Right on. Keeping it classy. I thought you were going to overpower it and jump it over a house. KIDDING!

Mark

I was happpier when i thought you were gonna spray NOS. Deeply saddened now
    Brushless Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Punkshere2stay View Post
    unless your putting some stock speed brushed motor in there i wouldn't run the plastic gears .. and if your going to put some high turn or brushless set up in it i wouldn't run the ball diff...

Steel gears are for bashers. This is a racing truck.

I've owned and raced several SRT's. All had the same trans setup as the OP. All were raced with Velineon brushless systems on 2S. Never had a transmission failure.

Think about it. Aside from Traxxas, most companies that produce stadium trucks have at least a couple plastic gears in the trans and most also have ball diffs. They run stock and mod brushless motors without issue. It's all about setup. Well, that and not driving like a basher.

MetalMilitia206, just noticed your location. I've been wondering for years if there's anything left of Traxx 70? I know it's been a long time since the track was open. Just curious if it was leveled or maybe there's still something there to go play on.
    Last edited by harry697; 02-26-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Leave it to Harry to kill a discussion with fact! LOL!

I thought I was the only one to build an SRT from NOS (New Old Stock) parts. VERY happy to see others doing the same. Now if I could find a way to get a rear shock tower and body, I would be complete with mine. I used the rear tower from a nitro rustler and I have a J-con body but it just doesn't look as cool. I am running NOS vintage electronics in mine and I LOVE IT!!! Picked up an old Tekin G-10 direct from Tekin, and a cobalt 27t motor. Noisy as heck (compared to my 17.5 buggy) but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Looking forward to the build pictures - living vicariously through others financial stability!
    "RED"

I haven't been by there in quite a while. I don't think it's been leveled. I will take a ride by it this week and let you know. They still have the White Monster and the drag strip there.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

Got the transmission finished up. Had to grind down a few of the screws that came with the RC Screwz set which was a pain, but it looks pretty good all together now.

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC poster
    where can I get one of those shock towers...

Quote Originally Posted by Punkshere2stay View Post
    where can I get one of those shock towers...
    My guess would be fibre lyte

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/traxxas/fl_srt.html

I think when it was all said and done, I had just a touch under 500$ in my stock build - After seeing this thread, I'm tempted to build another one!!

When you order from Fibre lyte, what options should I consider - material and thickness type stuff.
    "RED"

harry is correct. I ordered the tower from fibre lyte. The rear tower was one of the only stock parts that I could not find, so I decided to go with the aftermarket piece.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

Minor update. Got the gearbox and rear a-arms mounted up. Had to grind down the rear mount on the arms a little bit so they would move freely. Sorry for the dark pics.

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

Please delete. Accidental double post.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

Got the front end together. She is coming together nicely!

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

So most of the assembly is complete. Now just need to pick out some power and a speed control, and do final tweaks. Nevermind the messy workspace lol

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Racer
    This is a nice, nice truck. Really coming together. Will be a blast to drive no doubt! And, excellent dude. I like that you didn't blow it out with all carbon and you are mixing it up with the white/black/blue. You gonma run the Traxxas light dished wheels?

Yup, got a few sets glued up already. I'll get some wheels-on, test-body shots soon.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

Got the tires mounted up and mocked up a T3 body. Looks like it will fit pretty well!

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

WOW! That body sits up really high. About an inch if I had to guess. A shame you can't adjust the rear mount like you can the front.

Really excited for you getting things wrapped up! What springs are you using for the front?
    "RED"

It's actually not as bad as it looks. It's a bit of an illusion from where I took the picture. The front springs are stock black Traxxas springs which are basically the same as the white springs that came stock on this truck. Those are incredibly hard to find I have found.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC poster
    Awesome build sir! I really like that Fibre Lyte shock tower. I'd like to swap all the fiberglass on my SRT with their parts some time.

Here's the finished product. Found a Nitro Sport body that didn't have the venting cut out so I was able to mount it up. Looks much better than the T3 body. Went with a box-inspired paint job. Looks decent, but still had some bleeding issues.

RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Racer
    Beautiful build, well done! That must have been tricky sourcing all of those parts.

Thanks! Yes, some of the parts served more difficult to find than others. Mostly the transmission parts were the hardest to find. I definitely enjoyed the build though. Followed the original instructions and all.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Racer
    Very nice. I like the clean look of your paint job on the nitro sport body. My LS2 has a rustler body, which does the job, but really wish I could find an original.

Originals are incredibly hard to come by. I have heard that Team Blue Groove would be willing to do a replica, but they need an original to make the mold from.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede