RC poster

Rebuilding a Vintage SRT!

Hello! My first post here! I figured I'd share my build with you guys.

I had an electric RC truck back when I was a kid that I bought cheap off my older cousin. The battery life sucked (probably needed replacing), so I got annoyed and sold it for a nitro, much to my eventual regret.

Unfortunately, I never knew what kind of vehicle it was. Nostalgia has since caught up with me, so whenever the idea of buying another RC truck comes up, I'm reminded of that particular electric I had. Despite a number of half-hearted Google searches, I've been unable to identify exactly what model RC it was that I had owned... until last week.

It turns out the mystery RC truck that my 10 year old self bought off his cousin for around $30 was a Traxxas SRT. Awesome! Except, these days they're quite rare and expensive... >:|

Anyway, I scored a roller off of Craigslist for $60! It needs a little more work that I anticipated, but it's better than starting from scratch. I've got a few parts already and some more on the way!

A few questions:

What's a good brushless motor that won't require me to upgrade any of the drive train? I'm not looking to go super fast, just want something fun and reliable.

Should I be taking the tranny apart to verify everything's good, or to do some kind of maintenance? Everything seems to roll smooth, so far as I can tell.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend opening up the tranny to make sure everything is on the up and up. If you're not looking to go super fast, a 13.5T or 17.5T brushless setup should do the trick.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

OUTSTANDING!!!

I just built one from new old stock. The 2 things I can not find is the rear shock tower and the body. Everything else is still available. I am running all vintage stock electronics in mine - haha. Great running truck. You're going to love it...again.

Keep the pictures coming...everyone loves pictures.
    "RED"

RC poster
    Thanks guys! This build is progressing, but kinda' slow 'cause... money, lol.

I was looking at bell-cranks and ended up buying some that are actually meant for a Slash. I did some customizing and got them to work (I think). They've got bearings and an integrated servo saver, which I thought was cool.

The drag link is bent in the middle so it doesn't bind against the side of the bell cranks.

I'm not sure I like this, but the servo had to be mounted at an angle to account for the extra width of the bell cranks. Anyone foresee any issues with mounting it like this?

I saw these steel u-joints on ebay, and couldn't resist. They look so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia206
    I would definitely recommend opening up the tranny to make sure everything is on the up and up. ...
    That's what I ended up doing. I realized my ball differential was pretty much seized, so I had to take it apart anyway. I think it just needed a setup, but I opted to buy a planetary gear differential because I heard they were more durable.

Also, big bore shocks!

Here's what she looks like so far:

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia206
    ... If you're not looking to go super fast, a 13.5T or 17.5T brushless setup should do the trick.
    Yeah, I was thinking I'd probably look for a motor with a few more turns, and perhaps avoid going lipo.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs
    OUTSTANDING!!!

I just built one from new old stock. The 2 things I can not find is the rear shock tower and the body. Everything else is still available. I am running all vintage stock electronics in mine - haha. Great running truck. You're going to love it...again.

Keep the pictures coming...everyone loves pictures.
    Thanks!! Stock electronics are cool. I hear brushed motors are a lot more maintenance, though. Do you find that to be the case?
    Last edited by StormsofVogue; 06-21-2016 at 08:39 PM.

That is definitely the case. Brushless motors are maintenance free. Brushed motors need to have brushes replaced, and the comm cut from time to time, which can be a hassle.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Racer
    Beautiful, love it! Did you get it up and running yet, and if so, how are the electronics treating you?

I eventually caved and went brushless with LiPo on my LS2 (predecessor to the SRT, which shares quite a few parts), and it handles the power pretty well. I'm using a Sidewinder ESC with 5700KV motor, and 2S LiPO. At first it was a little out of control. Just recently upgraded to a Spektrum radio and receiver with AVC, and it completely fixed range and stability issues I was having. Really a blast to drive now.

Oh, one more thing. If you get a ESC that supports it, I highly recommend dialing down punch control slightly. This solved the problem of doing backflips. Mostly.
    Last edited by kdaq; 07-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaq View Post
    Beautiful, love it! Did you get it up and running yet, and if so, how are the electronics treating you?

I eventually caved and went brushless with LiPo on my LS2 (predecessor to the SRT, which shares quite a few parts), and it handles the power pretty well. I'm using a Sidewinder ESC with 5700KV motor, and 2S LiPO. At first it was a little out of control. Just recently upgraded to a Spektrum radio and receiver with AVC, and it completely fixed range and stability issues I was having. Really a blast to drive now.

Oh, one more thing. If you get a ESC that supports it, I highly recommend dialing down punch control slightly. This solved the problem of doing backflips. Mostly.
    Nah, she still looks like she did in the last photo. Currently sitting next to my bed, waiting to be finished. I'm in the middle of moving for school, so I had to quite spending money. Once I get settled in a couple months, I'll get back to it.

In the mean time, I've been reading up on FPV stuff. Man, that looks fun! I'd love to set up some equipment so I could drive the thing in a couple mile radius without leaving my couch. lol Although, I'd be really nervous about something happening to it.

I'll probably go brushless as well. I definitely don't want too much power though. I'm scared to crash it.

I think I need another beater car.