Thread: motor questions

RC Competitor

motor questions

When looking for a new motor, what does the term "modified" mean? I understand that if you have two motors with equal turns and one of them is modified that the mod one will go faster. But what is modified about the motor and can it be done in DIY fashion? And another thing, what does the number on the motor represent....like the titan 550 or stinger 370 or whatever? my bud is working on gettin a new motor for his car and he's learning like I am and were having a hard time comparing motors beyond the number of turns. Thanks for any info
    -Traxxas Slash
    -AE SC10
    -Mugen MBX5

550 on the Titan is the ize of he can. Trinity SPG's and Orion Pro BB's are 540 size.
    R/C Sith Lord

Modified generally means that the motor has adjustable timing, as opposed to a Spec. or Stock class motor that has fixed 24 degrees of advanced timing.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    ok, so can the size of the can mean more or less power? or just wheter or not it'll fit in a car? and in a modified motor is the timing adjustABLE or just adjusted and fixed?
    -Traxxas Slash
    -AE SC10
    -Mugen MBX5

RC Qualifier
    The size of the can can mean more or less torque, but not much else. It will also determine whether it will fit in the car. Most modified motors have the ability to have their timing adjusted. Also the number of turns denotes stock or modified. Anything below 27T is a modified motor. There are also 19T motors sometimes called "super stock". Both of which have fixed timing on the endbells.
    RCM Rustler
    MM Slash
    Sidewinder 'Pede

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMilitia206
    The size of the can can mean more or less torque, but not much else. It will also determine whether it will fit in the car. Most modified motors have the ability to have their timing adjusted. Also the number of turns denotes stock or modified. Anything below 27T is a modified motor. There are also 19T motors sometimes called "super stock". Both of which have fixed timing on the endbells.
    Ok, I'll remember that thanks. Does all of this info apply to brushless motors?
    -Traxxas Slash
    -AE SC10
    -Mugen MBX5

RC Champion
    I think it does not, since the timing for a brushless motor is in the ESC.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!