RC poster

Whats the best upgrades for speed?

I live where there are no decent hobby stores, and before i order 4 sets of upgrades online for me and my mates i was wondering if you guys an recommend a few things for the stock slash with a 6 cell 7.2 3300 mAH battery

1. We want more speed without breaking the bank.
    Do we go for 7 cell 8.4 or higher? can the stock speed controler take more?
    Go with Lipo and a LVC and keep the stock motor, if so whats best?
    Change the motor to brushless and use a normal cell battery of 8.4?
    Bite the bullet and go VXL with Lipo?

2. Can anyone recommend a reliable online store where we can get what we need?

3. Are the long traxxas shock upgrade any good, or should we just put heavier oil in the stock shocks? if so what weight for short course?

thanks in advance....

RC Qualifier
    I've had great luck with A-Main Hobbies, www.amainhobbies.com they have plenty of inventory. You'll get a few other takes on what stores are good, but give them a shot.
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Competitor
    I can tell you a vxl system with non lipos is more then fast enough!

RC Champion
    The Slash RIPS with a VXL and a DTX 4200 pack! Decent speed with a 3000.
    Dontworry,thelightathendofthetunnelisatrain!

RC Qualifier
    If you're gonna spend the money for speed, and keep the cost reasonable. You can't go wrong with the VXL system and a 3 S Lipo battery, more power than you can put to the dirt, gravel, or asphalt. You won't be dissapointed
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Qualifier
    Even the VXL with 7 cell nimh's would be great....

RC Qualifier
    Stock set up with a 7 cell, the Titan still runs cool and is quite fast, the VXL is problematic with heat, motor plugs coming off the ESC and you lose the ability to jump it into a swimming pool should the opportunity present itself.

Quote Originally Posted by trutchy
    I live where there are no decent hobby stores, and before i order 4 sets of upgrades online for me and my mates i was wondering if you guys an recommend a few things for the stock slash with a 6 cell 7.2 3300 mAH battery

1. We want more speed without breaking the bank.
    Do we go for 7 cell 8.4 or higher? can the stock speed controler take more?
    Go with Lipo and a LVC and keep the stock motor, if so whats best?
    Change the motor to brushless and use a normal cell battery of 8.4?
    Bite the bullet and go VXL with Lipo?

2. Can anyone recommend a reliable online store where we can get what we need?

3. Are the long traxxas shock upgrade any good, or should we just put heavier oil in the stock shocks? if so what weight for short course?

thanks in advance....
    1. get a vxl system, and if somehow thats not fast enough for you then you can either buy a nice 7 cell battery, or you can bite the rest of the bullet and get some lipo. ill tell ya though, i have a vxl with a 3s lipo, i dont know wh at to do with all the power, its insane! im sure a vxl on 7 cells would be incredable. minus the nice 30+ minute run times

2. Towerhobbies.com is great, and have some sweet discounts somtimes.
    and amainhobbies like stated above is nice.

3. since shock oil is only about 3 bucks a bottle buy a couple and see what works for your style of driving and the track. depends on the dirt and layout of the track. not sure what wt oil is in the stock slash shocks but try like 40wt, 60wt and maby one more like 50 or 70, do some experimentation
    i think i used 60wt with little to no spacers and it seems to be nice on my track

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trutchy
    thanks in advance....
    If you don't want to bite the bullet on a brushless system, a seven cell pack is the first cheapest way to get more speed from a stock Slash. It makes a rather big difference. I wouldn't get a 2S lipo, it wouldn't perform as well as the seven cell pack. After that? Still don't want to spend on brushless? Get a nice 17ish-turn brushed motor to use with that seven cell pack.

Beyond that? Just get a brushless system. The change is remarkable.
    English. It's your language. Learn to type it.