Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    thanx, big help!!!!!!

RC Champion
    How poor is the fit of the pinion without a spacer? My fab skills are poor at best, dangerous at worst.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Qualifier
    any 3rd party motor solution is better than the titans so you will be happy with one or two 700-HOs'. I bought them for the emaxx planning to go brushless when the 700's wore down. 40 runs later b/c waiting on 2nd MMM i am in no rush and will stick with them.
    Wellington, Florida RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    you dont have to have a spacer. it would make it cleaner but works fine.

RC Competitor
    I have uploaded the video with a 19T pinion. The video is still waiting to process. Sorry about the terrbile quality, I had to capture the video. I was trying to replicate what I did to twist a driveshaft and show how this is able to bo a backflip from a slight rolling reverse.

Here is a picture of the rear driveshafts starting to flex from the torque of this motor with a 19T pinion. After looking at this I might just stay with the 20T since there is still plenty of grunt with the 20T pinion.
    http://i36.tinypic.com/2cxw1ls.jpg

This is the video with the 19T pinion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJqDFm3ZrQ

I am also uploading to TinyPic.com since the YouTube video is taking a while to process.
    Last edited by smg323; 08-08-2008 at 06:46 AM.

the link does not work

RC Competitor
    The video has been uploaded to TinyPic.com as well.
    Single Revolver 700-HO Video
    Last edited by Revo Junkie; 07-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.

i have no idea, i use photo bucket

RC Competitor
    Couple of suggestions:

First of all its probably a bad idea (with any motor setup) to reverse then punch the throttle to go forward. I mean unless like the idea of changing transmission parts over and over again.

Second tighten your slipper clutch all the way, I personally had to over tighten mines. I think that's the sound that I heard on the video.
    E-Revo - 700HO

RC Racer
    nice video of low-end, but lets see one of top speed please!

RC Qualifier
    nice vid with only one motor i could not believe that the 700 could do a flip all the way and that is with one motor
    I am Luke Skywalker.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I know it's a bad idea to go into reverse and then punch the throttle to go forward, but I did it to show how much torque is with this motor. I don't plan on doing it anymore, just wanted to show how well this single motor works. It is pretty cool to see the E-Revo do a complete backflip though.

For the slipper it's tightened down all the way and then backed off 1/4 turn. I might tighten it another 1/8 of a turn.

I'll probably make another video when I get a chance of the top end. It's a big difference between the stock Titans, and a lot more reliable.

RC Champion
    Looks great! Maybe I should get off the fence and just order one myself. It'll make the wait for brushless that much easier.

RC Racer
    it's cool to know that there is a cheaper alternative to burshless, but with respectable performance! That's impressive.
    GIV'ER

RC Competitor
    That video is all the convincing I need. Im ordering one of these motors tonight!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BJE
    That video is all the convincing I need. Im ordering one of these motors tonight!
    That's hilarious. I got a good laugh out of that. These motors are well worth the money. If you don't have screws, be sure to ask Dan for some. I had to find some I had lying around from spares. If you don't have any, you can use two from the black chassis brace on the E-Revo. Also, the pinions from Kershaw Designs will either need to be cut down a little bit or make a spacer. Since I e-mailed Dan, he might have made a spacer to go between the motor mount and motor.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo Junkie
    That's hilarious. I got a good laugh out of that. These motors are well worth the money. If you don't have screws, be sure to ask Dan for some. I had to find some I had lying around from spares. If you don't have any, you can use two from the black chassis brace on the E-Revo. Also, the pinions from Kershaw Designs will either need to be cut down a little bit or make a spacer. Since I e-mailed Dan, he might have made a spacer to go between the motor mount and motor.
    I think I will be fine with the pinions. I ordered some Robinson racing 5mm bore 32p pinions in 19T and 20T last night from Impakt. I have heard that these pinions are shorter than the RCM and Kershaw ones.

One question, what is the best way to break the 700-HO in?

-Brad

RC Competitor
    I did a little bit of research before I decided to break this motor in. I just decided to use a 4 AA battery holder and put some AA's in there. On the first page of this thread there's a pretty good picture of how I broke them in. I wanted to be sure this motor lasted so I broke it in for an hour and a half.

RC Champion
    I think my $3.50 specials are looking a little tired... pulled the trigger on a 700HO. Can't wait.

RC Racer
    Any plans on trying this setup on 11.1V? Both the motor & ESC can take it.......

RC Champion
    Did you break the motor in underwater? Mine did not come with any break-in instructions.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nieves50
    Any plans on trying this setup on 11.1V? Both the motor & ESC can take it.......
    he's already running it on more voltage than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo Junkie
    I am currently using 7 Cell SPC batteries.
    7 cells X 1.2volts = 8.4 X 2 batteries = 16.8 volts
    be nice.

RC Champion
    My 700HO came today. I didn't solder the caps to it as my Futaba 3PM has been interference proof. No interference on this motor either. The motor comes with 16awg wires embedded into the endbell. They look so frail compared to the 12awg wire I've been using. I unsoldered my 12awg wire from my old motors and (poorly) resoldered them onto the existing ones. I figured this would be easier than trying to fit 6.5mm bullets to the tiny wires. Then I dropped it into a cup of water and let it break in @ 4v, 3.5A. Afterwards I dried it thoroughly with a hairdryer, and screwed it into the large motor mount holes with the screws provided.

With the truck geared 20/62, I popped my pair of ***** 2s 4300s in, strapped on my GPS and went for a run down the street. My top speed was 29.0 mph. Not bad, but not stellar either. My pair of $3.50 motors did 25.3 mph with the same gearing.

I took the GPS off and ran around the yard in the grass for a while. Wow, this motor is smooth! My twin $3.50 specials always sounded a little angry when I squeezed the trigger but the 700HO just sings. The sound is almost musical and the torque is impressive! I didn't record my runtime, but it was at least as long as the twins if not a bit longer. I could lift the front end up on inclines and braking is noticeably better (love that). With taller gearing you could easily see 30+.

After the run I took everything's temperature. I scanned over the motor with my temp gun and temps varied wildly from 110 to 201, though there were very few spots above 180. The MMM was 131, batteries were 130. Most of my bashing isn't in the grass in 90 degree weather so I'm not totally concerned about these temperatures. This is about as tough as it gets for me.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. Picking up this motor as a drop in replacement for your cooked Titans is a no brainer. If you're like me you'll eventually go brushless, but this will help curb your craving. You'll also be able to reuse any 5mm pinions you pick up. Support from KD has been great, with fast responses to all my emails.

RC Competitor
    I got mine from Kershaw Designs last night. The first thing I said when I opened the box and saw the motor was "This thing is huge!". Its a little heavy, but to me it feels lighter than the two Titans. It came with a little bag of mounting screws, caps, and plugs.

I havent had a chance to run it because my batteries are at SPC. Hopefully they are back by the end of the week. I cant wait to see how the truck runs with the new motor and new suspension setup (orange/gold & 50wt and Tru-Track).

One question, do I need to install the caps if Im using the stock radio?

-Brad

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep, definately.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    It's indeed lighter than the Titans. 80g or so, IIRC.

RC Competitor
    Tighten your slipper clutch ALL the way. In fact, over tighten it and you'll get 35+mph speeds like I do on my setup
    E-Revo - 700HO

RC Champion
    All the way? Anyone else have an opinion on this? I know the Revo's drivetrain is strong, but...

RC Competitor
    Yes all the way, mines is doing just fine with better acceleration and top speed after 15 or so runs. Also remember these motors are brushed with 4s total voltage. With a Neu brushless motor and 6s lipos, the amount of power that is put out is way more than the Kershaws and the E-revo can handle that....
    E-Revo - 700HO

RC Champion
    Well, I tightened up my slipper all the way. It was surprisingly loose for some reason. My top speed result was only 0.2 mph faster.

RC Qualifier
    The slipper is there for a reason... tightening it completely is quite risky and not worth it in my opinion. If you're just doing backflips all the time for show, well that's up to you but during normal bashing you're trying to avoid backflips, wheelies and such. Anyway... just my opinion of course

RC Racer
    how are the runtimes with that motor compare to the stock ones?

regards

RC Champion
    I found runtimes to be equal to that of the two smaller motors.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    I found runtimes to be equal to that of the two smaller motors.
    the esc use the 2 packs at same time like in stock, right?

RC Champion
    Yep, same config.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeatle
    Yep, same config.
    ok. thank´s..

RC poster
    Revo Junkie: how fast do you think your truck is going with the 700-HO in it.

RC Qualifier
    you CAN tighten the slipper all the way but you WILL break more items in the drive train guaranteed. its best to loosen it just a bit.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I tightened mine all the way, then back a nudge. Maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn?

I dont do backflips tho.

I have my TX dialed down to 15% throttle and my MMM has 70% punch control.

I am using the Traxxas extended arms in the back.

I can still get her to pop the front end up w/o issue, but I wanted more control, so shes pretty dialed in.
    be nice.

RC Competitor
    Any of you guys with the single 700-HO tried gearing more than 20/62? Or would that heat it up too much? I see 22/58 thrown around quite often with brushless, for example.

Seriously considering going the 700 route rather than spending $500+ on a new radio/motor/speedo just to go brushless. Oi vey.