Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 58
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lugoff, SC
    Posts
    3,837

    Question REVO transmission

    Do you think we could install the REVO transmission with CD and rear brake in place of the stock tranny? I figure it will fit right in there...Then we could regear for the same ratio by changing the CB & SG.

    Comments?
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

  2. #2
    I need a weapon!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    724
    The gearing in the Slayer Tranny is setup for the difference in the wheel and tire size. If you install a Revo tranny you will not be able to gear up enough to gain back the speed you will lose.

    BIG L
    I'm Tired of follow'in my dreams.......... I'm jus

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lugoff, SC
    Posts
    3,837
    Bummer...I guess TRX will just have to make special parts for the Slayer.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    2,241
    u could try runnin the jato 24/54 combo... would help some....
    been there bought that

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    177
    i was wondering if you change the cb and spur to get the proper ratio?

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    i dont care what "BIG L" has to say. the transmission is just like any other revo transmission. the "gearing change" is the wide ratio kit. there isnt any more room for a huge gearng change inside the tranny unless the gear teeth are smaller. ITS A REVO TRANNY. STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
    jeremie

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,559
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG L
    The gearing in the Slayer Tranny is setup for the difference in the wheel and tire size. If you install a Revo tranny you will not be able to gear up enough to gain back the speed you will lose.

    BIG L
    Exactly what is different about the gearing? According to the part numbers, the Revo and Slayer share the same input gears, first gear, and second gear (for std, close, and wide ratios). That leaves the intermediate and output gears. Are those different? Not trying to sound argumentative, I just would like to know.

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    brian,
    im telling you man its the 2.5r revo transmission with the wide ratio and foc installed. the only way the gears could be changed is with a diffrent gear pitch..trx wouldnt do that cause it would weaken the tranny itself.
    jeremie

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,559
    That's what I'm thinking too, but I hear official word its a different tranny. I'm just trying to find out from the horse's mouth.

  10. #10
    I need a weapon!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    724
    Look at part # 5996 in the exploded view!

    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5908_tranny.pdf

    BIG L
    Last edited by BIG L; 07-21-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    I'm Tired of follow'in my dreams.......... I'm jus

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    The gears are definitely different. There is no way you could put smaller tires and get the same speed without your engine spinning more rpms. In this case the tires are basically half the diameter, so the engine would have to spin roughly twice the rpms to get the same speed...not gonna happen. (probably not really half, but significant enough to require more than just a wide ratio transmission, which is stock on the 3.3 revo anyway.)
    Last edited by trx33; 07-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    yeah, part numbers dont meen anything. thats just another way to throw people off. the "part numbers" fopr the foc in a revo and t-maxx are diffrent yet the revo foc fits a t-maxx? whys this? cause its the same gears!!!


    youguys ever thing that the CB/spur is diffrent? could run a bigger CB and smaller spur to make the same final ratio at the tires
    jeremie

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by GASSHEAD
    yeah, part numbers dont meen anything. thats just another way to throw people off. the "part numbers" fopr the foc in a revo and t-maxx are diffrent yet the revo foc fits a t-maxx? whys this? cause its the same gears!!!


    youguys ever thing that the CB/spur is diffrent? could run a bigger CB and smaller spur to make the same final ratio at the tires
    HERE YOU GO!!!

    part | revo | slayer

    diff | 37/13 | 37/13
    cb/spur | 38/15 | 38/15
    transmission | ? | ?
    overall (2nd) |15.22 | 10.05

    The diffs and stock clutchbell/spur gear are the same between the two. The only way to get different overall drive ratios is in the transmission. The 15.22 is already with the wide ratio, so the slayer can't simply have the wide ratio because if it did it would be identical to the revo. Just accept the fact that the transmissions aren't the same.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lugoff, SC
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    HERE YOU GO!!!

    part | revo | slayer

    diff | 37/13 | 37/13
    cb/spur | 38/15 | 38/15
    transmission | ? | ?
    overall (2nd) |15.22 | 10.05

    The diffs and stock clutchbell/spur gear are the same between the two. The only way to get different overall drive ratios is in the transmission. The 15.22 is already with the wide ratio, so the slayer can't simply have the wide ratio because if it did it would be identical to the revo. Just accept the fact that the transmissions aren't the same.
    End of story.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    End of story.
    lol...a traxxas employee, part numbers, and the specs all seem to show that the transmissions are different...I hope that's enough proof.

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lugoff, SC
    Posts
    3,837
    I can't imagine how it wouldn't be. Seems pretty conclusive to me, but some people are smarter than the ones on the inside sometimes.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    **** guys, the only way the gears could be diffrent is if the gear pitch was smaller. ITS NOT.

    why not wait till the truck comes out and see.
    jeremie

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by GASSHEAD
    **** guys, the only way the gears could be diffrent is if the gear pitch was smaller. ITS NOT.

    why not wait till the truck comes out and see.
    Yes, you wait until the truck comes out and see. We already know that the gears are different.

    I already proved to you that they are different by the different final reduction ratio and the fact that the clutchbell, spur gear, and differentials are the same. Why can't you accept it?

    Edit: Why do you think the pitch would have to be different? You can make one gear smaller and one bigger and still have the same center spacing between the gears. You can change close, standard, and wide ratio second gears in the revo transmission and they all have the same pitch.
    Last edited by trx33; 07-21-2008 at 03:48 PM.

  19. #19
    Registered User Zinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mckinney, Tx.
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by GASSHEAD
    **** guys, the only way the gears could be diffrent is if the gear pitch was smaller. ITS NOT.

    why not wait till the truck comes out and see.
    Why not listen to the manufacturer who designed the truck in the first place?

    The transmission contains a different gearset/toothcount combination than previous Revo trucks. The case is slightly modified to permit this change. Gear pitch relates to the teeth spacing, not the tooth count.

    Please refrain from arguing and posting incorrect information. Profanity will result in warning points.

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. fallonguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dayton Nv.
    Posts
    3,182
    I bet it won't be long before a center diff. is made for the Slayer
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    zinno i dont care if i get warning points. why does traxxas make a forum before the truck is realeased? stupid in my opnion
    jeremie

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by GASSHEAD
    zinno i dont care if i get warning points. why does traxxas make a forum before the truck is realeased? stupid in my opnion
    Are you crying because you are wrong?

    If you don't like the forum how about just leaving. Just because they have it doesn't mean you have to use it.

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    I'm with you gasshead. There had been instances wherein traxxas said something and ends up being different from what they initially stated.

    1. A couple of members made a CD for the revo years ago which traxxas mass-produced later.

    2. Revo and tmaxx FOC are the same with the exception of the FOC shaft length and diameters of both ends. I did this mod to my trucks before traxxas came out with the 4908.

    I believe Part #5966 is the same as the revo/tmaxx FOC gears. Look at the diagrams. Traxxas never sold these gears separately but always comes with the FOC kit (Tmaxx and Revo). It took me awhile to figure it out but I firmly believe they are the same. Now, the only way to know the truth is if someone can open up their tranny (when you get them) and count the tooth on part # 5996. We'll then compare the tooth count with the existing revo/tmaxx FOC gears and if they have the same tooth count, then they are the same.

    By the way Zinno, gear pitch not only relate to gear spacing but also tooth count. The pitch indicates the size of the teeth on a gear. The higher the pitch number, the smaller the teeth. If gears #1 and #2 both have 40 teeth, but the teeth on gear #2 are smaller, then gear #2 will necessarily have a smaller circumfirence because its smaller teeth will fit into less space. So a 48 pitch gear with 40 teeth is smaller than a 32 pitch gear with the same number of teeth.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    690
    Anyway more importantly I'm going to be running the erevo (emaxx) tranny on mine w/ a Medusa Brushless v2 60mm 2000kv motor w/ my new MMM when it arrives Anyone want to argue about my tranny I have a slash body and slash nerf side brackets coming to mount then just need the new suspension parts

    Neu 1515 2.5d & 1.5d, 2x MMM -sIck IaM

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    I bet it won't be long before a center diff. is made for the Slayer

    It's already done. It's called the revo CD kit .

    Compare the gears on this kit against part # 5996 on the pdf posted above by BigL:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?FVSEARCH=5195
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. fallonguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dayton Nv.
    Posts
    3,182
    Traxxas employees has stated that the revo cd will not work in the slayer. I think I will believe them.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lugoff, SC
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinno
    The transmission contains a different gearset/toothcount combination than previous Revo trucks. The case is slightly modified to permit this change. Gear pitch relates to the teeth spacing, not the tooth count.
    This is key.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Take a look at part# 5966 from the pdf that BigL posted and the link I posted. Like I said in my previous post, the only way they are different is if the gears have different gear teeth count.

    How many times have they said in the past that they're not going to release an Erevo? How come they are selling it now? They said they will not release a CD for the revo, but look at what traxxas did after Cranked183 made a CD for the Revo? They made them 2 years ago. Look at Zinno's reply about gear teeth, that's an ignorant answer especially if he's an engineer working for traxxas. There are many other things I can type here but believe what you want to believe from them.

    I could care less what they say. Once the tranny is released, I'll buy one and do a comparison with my revo tranny. I'll post the results here for everyone to see just like how I posted about installing a Revo FOC and brake system on a Tmaxx 3.3 which I was told can't be done because the parts are different.

    Zinno and BigL, how many teeth are there on the 5966 part number? Let me know so we can settle this.
    Last edited by george16; 07-22-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    george16...look at my previous post. The clutchbell/spur gear and differential are the same on both trucks. If you check out the specs page, the final drive ratios for 1st and second gear are different between the two. I could see them saying a part won't work like the revo/t-maxx foc. It did require some modification of the shaft to make it fit, so if they said it fit, people would complain about it not fitting when they tried. I wouldn't understand why they would put up the wrong ratios on the specs page though.

  30. #30
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    They still have not answered my question about the number of gear teeth on part number 5966. FYI, I called traxxas last year inquiring about the availability of the FOC gears separately and they told me that they only come with the FOC kit.

    I could see them saying a part won't work like the revo/t-maxx foc. It did require some modification of the shaft to make it fit, so if they said it fit, people would complain about it not fitting when they tried.
    Just for the record, I installed the the complete Revo FOC on my Tmaxx 3.3 without any modification whatsoever. I didn't do anything to make the Revo FOC shaft fit. It slid right in. Both tmaxx 3.3 and revo FOC shafts are 6mm in diameter with the exception of the ends of the tmaxx which were milled down to 5mm. The Revo FOC shaft is also longer than the tmaxx FOC shaft by approx. 5mm. The only thing was, I have to use the revo brake because the yoke pin (brake holder) does not work with the tmaxx 3.3 brake hex. This was way before traxxas came out with the 4908 with the Revo FOC and brakes. Look at the date when the pictures was taken .



    Tmaxx foc shaft and gears on the left, revo on the right:


    Revo FOC shaft with 6mm end:


    Tmaxx 3.3 FOC shaft with 5mm end:


    Side by side with each other:
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  31. #31
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    Take a look at part# 5966 from the pdf that BigL posted and the link I posted. Like I said in my previous post, the only way they are different is if the gears have different gear teeth count.

    How many times have they said in the past that they're not going to release an Erevo? How come they are selling it now? They said they will not release a CD for the revo, but look at what traxxas did after Cranked183 made a CD for the Revo? They made them 2 years ago. Look at Zinno's reply about gear teeth, that's an ignorant answer especially if he's an engineer working for traxxas. There are many other things I can type here but believe what you want to believe from them.

    I could care less what they say. Once the tranny is released, I'll buy one and do a comparison with my revo tranny. I'll post the results here for everyone to see just like how I posted about installing a Revo FOC and brake system on a Tmaxx 3.3 which I was told can't be done because the parts are different.

    Zinno and BigL, how many teeth are there on the 5966 part number? Let me know so we can settle this.

    FINALLY!!! some one understands what im saying...

    but hey george i really wouldnt waste my time talking to these guys on here, they dont listen to logic. they just compair part numbers and other stuff. we know how it works, leave it to them to figure out themselfs
    jeremie

  32. #32
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    but hey george i really wouldnt waste my time talking to these guys on here, they dont listen to logic. they just compair part numbers and other stuff. we know how it works, leave it to them to figure out themselfs
    Jeremie, I know what you mean. You're absolutely right about leaving it to them to figure it out. You and I already figured out some of the thingd traxxas do. I, for one, know for a fact that traxxas takes the mods we do and integrates them into their truck lineup even though they used to say that it doesn't work.

    Hmmm, I wonder if I will be accepted to work for traxxas so I can put my M. E. degree to good use . What do you think?
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  33. #33
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    heck yeah man, why do you thing the revo racing thread was stickied? the Plat. revo is basically a configuration of the racers setups minus side pipes


    and what they are doing is a marketing scheme. saying ist diffrent to get topics like this together, then ppl will buy them just to try to proove people wrong. ya know what i meen?
    jeremie

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    if i told you i would have to kill you Port neches,texas now time to die
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    Are you crying because you are wrong?

    If you don't like the forum how about just leaving. Just because they have it doesn't mean you have to use it.
    stop trying to cover up that YOU are the one thats wrong

  35. #35
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Originally Posted by Zinno
    The transmission contains a different gearset/toothcount combination than previous Revo trucks. The case is slightly modified to permit this change. Gear pitch relates to the teeth spacing, not the tooth count.
    Originally Posted by trx33
    This is key.
    Did you study engineering? Do you have any clue about gear pitch and such? You are just riding the cottails of Zinno. Look at my reply about gear pitch. If you didn't see it, here it is again:

    Gear pitch not only relate to gear spacing but also tooth count. The pitch indicates the size of the teeth on a gear. The higher the pitch number, the smaller the teeth. If gears #1 and #2 both have 40 teeth, but the teeth on gear #2 are smaller, then gear #2 will necessarily have a smaller circumfirence because its smaller teeth will fit into less space. So a 48 pitch gear with 40 teeth is smaller than a 32 pitch gear with the same number of teeth.

    If you don't believe that, you need to go back to school and learn some more about gears, pitch, tooth count/spacing etc.

    Edit- I stop believing their marketing hype after proving them wrong about the installation of the Revo FOC on a tmaxx 3.3. They told me it will not work but obviously, it does because you can see the pictures I posted above.
    Last edited by george16; 07-22-2008 at 09:49 AM.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    george16...I saw your original thread about installing the revo FOC in the t-maxx and the differences in the output shaft is the modification that I was referring to. I don't see how they could say that it is compatible because there would be somebody that didn't know how to modify it.

    GASSHEAD...I am not simply comparing part numbers. Look at the final drive ratio for 1st and 2nd gear on the revo 3.3 page and the slayer page. They are indeed different, and the only way to achieve this is within the transmission. (given that the diff and cb/sg are the same, which they are)

    Another thing to consider. The diameter of the talons is 5.75 and the slayer tires are 4.37. That is a huge difference to make up with the cb/sg, and they wouldn't want it to come from the factory with their highest gear ratio. That would cause gearing problems for those with bigger engines.

    They have already said that the case is modified and there is a different ratio in the transmission. I am done posting on this thread, so believe what you want to believe.

  37. #37
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    1,201
    glad more people see what im saying. just want to say thank you.
    jeremie

  38. #38
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,988
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    george16...I saw your original thread about installing the revo FOC in the t-maxx and the differences in the output shaft is the modification that I was referring to. I don't see how they could say that it is compatible because there would be somebody that didn't know how to modify it.

    Actually, that was not a modification. Both shafts came from the Traxxas factory just like that .

    Anyway, the only thing I can think of is part #5966 having less teeth than the FOC gear to compensate for the difference in tire sizes.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

  39. #39
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    432
    Zinno wasn't really wrong. Diameter, pitch, and tooth count are all related. By having 2, you can find the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    Anyway, the only thing I can think of is part #5966 having less teeth than the FOC gear to compensate for the difference in tire sizes.
    Exactly. If the only gear that is changed is 5966 and the pitch is the same, then the diameter of the slayer output gear is smaller than the diameter of the revo output gear. For the smaller diameter to work, they would have to move the output shaft/gear to get the gears to mesh, which is probably the case modification that they were talking about. With the shafts closer together, the revo CD will no longer work.

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. fallonguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dayton Nv.
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by george16

    Just for the record, I installed the the complete Revo FOC on my Tmaxx 3.3 without any modification whatsoever.
    Great I have a stock t-maxx 3.3 so I can put a REVO FOC right in there and put it all back together and not have to do any mod and it will work?
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •