Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

I Wanna ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Yup, it's even a bit of a twisted idea too Started modding my E-Revo today to try and do a little crawling with it Sofar I've reinstalled the stock springs, installed the 120mm bellcranks flipped the rear tie rods (went from toe out-to toe-in at full droop ), put 12t pinions on it, stuck a spool out back and 120k diff oil up front (spools are on back order and I could only find one in stock at the time ), and I'm mounting a set of Savage 21/25 tires on RPM StableMaxx Titan rims that have been slightly narrowed and had lead tire weights added to them (14oz per wheel up from and 7oz per rear) as I'm posting here!

And now for the pics

Last edited by bjoehandley; 07-16-2008 at 02:20 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yet again...this truck does it all

awesome set-up man!

the e-revo goes from rock-crawling to drag racing and everywhere inbetween!

thank you Traxxas!
    be nice.

RC Champion
    I'm planning on taking it out later today (it's 1:30am here in the Chicago area right now!) with my semi scale Wheely King and AX10 to a new place I had a customer tell me about on Monday.
    Last edited by bjoehandley; 07-16-2008 at 02:55 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley
    I'm planning on taking it out later today (it's 1:30 here in the Chicago area right now!) with my semi scale Wheely King and AX10 to a new place I had a customer tell me about on Monday.
    bring the camera
    be nice.

RC Champion
    I'll try to remember!

RC Champion
    that's a surprising amount of suspension travel,,nice work
    Been there, done that.

RC Qualifier
    Did you lock the diff's? How? I would think that the stock setup would be really prone to unloading all the energy to the tire with the least resistance.

I run a WK. I like it ok. Too top heavy. I will be going to a Widow chassis soon to lower my CG.

Looks good so far man. Good luck with it!

RC Champion
    the pic in the top right corner that you posted looks like the truck has about 5 inches of ground clearance... how exactly did you do that? what mods, springs, rockers, etc. are you using?
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Qualifier
    thats some insane suspension travel...

good luck.lol

and dont run into no rocls to see if it breaks...

RC Champion
    Took it out today, you NEED the front spool if you intend to crawl with it!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpxmZ4NPkL8

And some pics

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    looks good man, I like the body/paint. Clean lines, simple, classy. Might do one up similar...
    be nice.

RC Champion
    Do better than me, I fudged this one bad!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley
    Do better than me, I fudged this one bad!
    looks good from here

hey, when crawling, do you put the front tires backwards for better traction?
    be nice.

Looks good! I'm glad you brought a better camera for the 2nd round of pictures, the first ones weren't very good. Take your Jeep rock crawling at all?

RC Champion
    Supposedly having the front tires backwards will help with grip on rocks and such while allowing the front tires to self clean if you need to back out of a mud pit.

If I get the chance I'll take better pics of that body and the one I painted Chrysler Moss Green Pearl to match my XJ (also ordered an HPI '69 Charger body do paint the same color )

Those first 4 pics were taken with my 1-1.5mp cell phone in the basement with only 2 of the 8 lights and the "camera" flash turned on at 11pm that night The videos and daytime pics were taken with an older digital camera that my Sister and I bought Dad a few years back.

I haven't done any crawling in the Jeep, a little off roading yes, but no crawling. It's still runing open diffs and is stock height. It's seen so little off road use that I'm considering getting a second set of rims and a more street oriented performance tire as money allows along with bigger rear sway bar, urathane front sway bar bushings, stock-2" lift tubular LCA's, ect to make it more of a corner burner. Truck does pretty good as you see it in those pics and has suprised more than a few sporty type car drivers on curvey roads The suspension is currently set up pretty much just like Dad had his 2 XJ's set up for work when he was still with the rail road, so we've got a couple hundred thousand miles of "R&D" behind it I just saw that a local TJ Rubicon owner is trying to sell the OEM rims off the truck and those just might look pretty decent with 245-255/60-65/R16 street tires on them, but we just got the updated VXL ESC/Motor combo in and I'm trying not to buy that for my Pede then swap the one that's in there into my E4T
    Last edited by bjoehandley; 07-17-2008 at 08:21 PM.

RC Qualifier

man, look at that! If you had to name your E-Revo, you should name it The Spider! The way that thing moves! Just crawls like a spider, E-Revo makes a GREAT crawler since it's all wheel drive! I'm keeping mine as a lil speed demon though, but what you got is a piece of hard work.

Post some close up videos ya? I'd like to see some close ups of this thing without the cover. See the shocks in action
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

RC Racer
    nice .. now just put 2 mamba monster setups in it with 2 6s lipo and u will be my new best friend
    v-twinE-revo,rustlervxl,jato3.3ListGoesOnKnoSayn

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DockBrown88MPH

man, look at that! If you had to name your E-Revo, you should name it The Spider! The way that thing moves! Just crawls like a spider, E-Revo makes a GREAT crawler since it's all wheel drive! I'm keeping mine as a lil speed demon though, but what you got is a piece of hard work.

Post some close up videos ya? I'd like to see some close ups of this thing without the cover. See the shocks in action

When I first brought the truck home Mom told me it looked like some gigantic, wheeled insect (she also thinks my Micro Desert Truck looks like some mangy little mouse ) and as I watched it try and climb what you said was the exact same thing as I thought watching it climb down that hill! It's going to be converted back to a basher until I get the second spool of back order, hopefully before the Suburban Chicago Rock Crawler (SCRC) comp on August 9th so I can getting take it to that. The club president want's me to bring it to the comp this weekend, but I forgot to ask for the day off until it was too late Once it's back to crawler form I'll have either Dad or one of the crawler club members get video of it, the ones I took were using a digital camera hung around my neck infront of my gut since I was all by my lonesome out there.

RC Champion
    Ya gotta go slower than that! For me the fun of crawling is to simulate a 1:1 truck navigating through/around obstacles. Tough to do that when you're trigger happy.
    MMM/2200 powered E-Revo - sufficiently excessive

RC Champion
    Or with stock motors, I've got a couple RC4wd Axle Snappers that were in my WK and AX10 that I may slip in once the front spool comes in. They were dog slow and a bit gutless in those two trucks, even when running 9.6v in the WK and 8.4v in the AX10, so I'm hoping 14.4-16.8v will wake them up some I've converted it back to a "brawler" for the time being and I'm going to start copying the setup from the Platinum onto it for regular bashing.

RC Champion
    Well guys, Rock E-Revo is back, Now with Titan 775 power!

Took the E-Revo out for a little rock bashing after work tonight with the Helios body, Talon Tires, and open diffs. After I got home, I tore into it and put the spool in the front (where I should have a year ago...), Ofna Diff Lock "fluid" in the rear, mounted up a chopped up Proline Ram Megacab body, drilled the rims and reglued the tires to the rims. I'll try to take it our tomorrow and see how it does, then will take it to the Suburban Chicago Rock Crawlers "Tune Up Comp" saturday and see how it does there after the comps over.

And now for the update pics!

RC Champion
    Here's the video of the above bashing session.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWPzKmyxO5E

RC Champion
    And now here's the video of the truck in action, it needs better tires for these rocks and a rear spool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEKyj...e=channel_page

Here's the screen caps from this video and a teezer shot!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...E-R%20Returns/

RC Enthusiast
    Nice work and video.
    What differences did you notice with the spool and thicker diff fluid?
    Did it increase your turning radius alot?

I hope to have mine done this weekend, well, everything except the body at least.

~John

RC Champion
    Yea, turning now sucks bigtime and the u-joint ears are stretching a little and the rear did "diff out" from time to time, it really did pretty good for a basicly stock truck and if I gear down a little (got the 12t pinion today!) and maybe drop the truck a hair, it should do even better.

RC Enthusiast
    I got mine assembled last night, and was able to do just alittle testing.
    So far, not good LOL
    The steering servo saver needs upgraded to a heavy duty one, the servo moves, and just twists the spring, and the wheels barely turn.
    I also need to make sure the ESC is adjusted properly, but it couldnt get out of its own way, and didnt have the power to climb.
    And that was with the lowest gearing possible, 68T/12T

Oh well, I knew there would be problems with this project, just too much weight and size for it.
    I just hope most the Revo parts hold up, I just feel like its going to snap parts like nothing, but then I am running 8.26" tall tires.

~John

RC Champion
    Forgot about the servo saver, you ain't kidding there! I did give up on the second spool and just used the money I spent on that to pay for a 17t pinion for the 775.

RC Enthusiast
    17t ??? Good luck, mine doesnt have near enough power with a 12t pinion and 68t spur.
    Which, as far as I know, is the lowest gearing I can do. Not sure what to do from here, I may try a second 775 motor in it.
    I also need to find a deal on another JR 400oz. steering servo to slap in it.

~John

RC Champion
    The 17t is for higher speed bashing, right now Rock E-Revo is done for now unless I can find a Summit being sold for cheap locally, thene it will be a hybrid between the two.. Reason that RE_R is going away is that I broke the Traxxas Revo Spool while testing the truck at the SCRC Tune Up Comp on the 21st. The right front tire fell into a hole and when I tried to throttle out of it myself and Grump on RCCrawler heard a snap from about 5 feet or so away and the right front appeared to have lost all power. We walked over there and when I picked the truck up, I expected to find the outdrive, driveshaft, or stub axle to be broken and was suprised to find that the spool broke instead! Here's a few pictures of the damage and the area that we were comping at, unfortunetly it broke before I got the camera out to tape it.

Here's the spool while still in the truck

Here's the remains of the spool still in the outdrive...and it's not coming out either. I ended up replacing it with a spare I had laying around.

Here's the diff after getting it out of the truck, I still haven't pull the assembly apart though.

Now that it's apart, I've found that the other side wasn't in much better shape!

And as promised......here's the field of rocks we used, it's a field of large, nasty, course, jagged, stuff that is held together with some pretty course concrete!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That looks like an Integy spool, not a Traxxas spool...are you sure it is a Traxxas spool? If it is, call customer support, they might replace it for you.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Enthusiast
    WOW ! :O That sucks, like you said, I would have expected something else to break first.
    Hope mine hold up better, I have ones made by Hot Racing.

~John

RC Champion
    This was a Traxxas brand Steel Revo Spool, everybody who's seen it sofar has been just as suprised as we are!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Weird, must have been a defective part, like had a micro-crack in it or it was made from a bad batch of steel...like I said, call Traxxas, I bet they will replace it for you.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    I Think this part was just overloaded with lots of traction and way more grunt than what a nitro motor is capable of!

RC Enthusiast
    I hope you dont mind, I dont mean to hijack your thread, but I thought since we were all hashing Crawler ideas here, and talking about the issues we are having, that I would share mine...

I just did some more testing with my rig. Heres the deal...
    I have a Super Rooster ESC, with a single Titan 775 motor, with 68t/12t gearing in the E-Revo. Spooled front and rear.
    Running the RC4WD 40 series Crusher tires, which are about 8.25" tall, with 1.4 lbs. in each front tire, and 1 lbs in each rear tire.
    On one 7 cell pack, it really has a hard time moving, and can easily stall out if bound up, or climbing hard.
    I just tested it with a 3s Lipo, and it has WAY more power. Plenty of power really. But you can still tell the motor is working really hard at the real low rpms.
    It spends alot of time applying power, but not actually moving, when you try to creep real slow.
    I only ran it about 5 minutes, if that, the motor was warm, and had that new electronics smell to it.
    But, The ESC was so hot I couldnt hold my hand on it !!!!!

So, what route should I go to remedy this?
    Try two Titan 775 motors? So they can share the load, and maybe not tax the ESC so much?
    I am hoping that would work, because I also think it would help it creep at slow speeds. Right now, to go really slow, you can tell its really taxing the motor.
    You can tell it would rather me give it more throttle and let it roll.
    I could also put a fan on the ESC? But I am not sure that would do enough.
    I am just wondering if I have another underlining issue here.

Thanks for the help.
    ~John
    Last edited by jtice; 03-23-2009 at 07:41 PM.

RC Champion
    I'd go back to the EVX2 and twin 7.2v-7.4v packs. Mine has plenty of grunt as is.

RC Enthusiast
    I got the E-Revo as a roller, so I dont have the original ESC.
    I think some people have ran two motors off the Super Rooster, could I not do that?

Can yours crawl really slow? Does it not lug the motors really hard?
    I just wasnt sure if it was the high voltage of the 3s lipo pack making the ESC really hot,
    or if it was due to the motor lugging and barely moving with power applied.

~John

RC Champion
    You can run two motors on the SuperRooster since it was designed for that, but I think just the one 775 size motor is stretching it a bit. It was originally designed for 540 size motors years ago, and depending on how you wired them would run any turn 540 on as much as 12 volts. You may consider getting another EVX-2 or a MMM ESC (if it'll run a brushed motor anyway....) to replace the SR. It was so-so when it came to low speed throttle control, but I think that's where the Summit's 70:1 low range would be a BIG help. It definately doesn't have a lugging problem either, but I'm still running two 7.2v packs in it.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I found out last night, that a second 775 motor will not fit on the Revo, so that option is out.

I have a VXL ESC with a fan on it, do you think that could handle the single 775 better?

Yea, I bet the Summits tranny is whats helping alot.
    Even teh 68t/12t gearing I have in the Revo doesnt seem all that low.
    Hmmmmmm, I wonder if a Summit tranny will bolt onto the E-Revo chassis?

~John

RC Champion
    Probably just need the guts, linkage, and servo from the Summit, the rest should be the same as the E-Revo's. For a second 775, you'd have to modify or make your own motorplate to make that work.