Cool Homemade nitro caddy. (Pictures.)

Hey guys-

I finished this project up several weeks ago, but I thought now was as good a time as any to share some pictures of it. For a little over a year, I was using a tool box drawer as a caddy for all of my nitro equipment when I'd go out for a run (transmitter, fuel bottle, tools, starter, etc.). Between getting tired of everything just kind of sloshing around in there and me using that drawer for something else, I decided that I needed something better. I thought about buying a plastic caddy to use, but that would have been to easy (and not to mention uncreative). So I got to thinking... why not build my own? I have a fairly complete woodworking shop, so I did.

It took me several evenings to complete, but I took my time and got it done. I am, for the most part, a self taught wood worker, so I had to learn how to do a few things to make this caddy. Things like mitering the edges and such were something that I have done numerous times, but I had never used a router before this point, nor had I used a band saw. My choice of wood was some nice looking pine. Though my first choice would have been some thicker plywood for strength, I decided that pine would work just fine for something like this because all of my nitro gear doesn't weigh a whole lot anyway. In all, I ended up using the compound miter saw, table saw, band saw, jig saw, and a router as far as wood working tools go. I also used an air nailer (my smaller Brad nailer), some wood glue, and a few screws for added security. I sanded the wood with varying grits of sand paper and sealed it with a clear Minwax semi-gloss urethane clear.

It came out very well, and it should work great! I lined a few of the slots with some non-slip padding for tool chests and called it good. There is plenty of room to hold my transmitter, the EZ-starter, my fuel bottle, a good sized Plano organizer for spare parts, screwdrivers and nut drivers, pliers, some hobby knives, a few commonly used ball drivers, etc.

If anyone else would like to do a project like this one, I have a few tips for you. First and foremost, be careful when working with power tools. Be sure to wear eye protection and respect the saws and nailers. All it takes is one careless mistake and you could end up making a trip to the hospital. Careful planning is the best way to do something like this as well. Sketch out your plans (or just draw them in your head like I do) and make sure that you will have enough wood and supplies for your project. You also do not need all of the tools that I used. I would imagine that most people don't have some of the saws that I mentioned, so a simple circular saw and a jig saw would suffice.

Here are a few pictures of my homemade Nitro Caddy:

Later,

-cooleo
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That looks great cooleocool it looks very professional. You did a great job on it.
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Nice! I did that with my pit-box. Yours is much nicer though.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

Looks good. Now you have a specific spot for everything.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

Thank you guys. It definitely came out pretty well, and yes, I do have a spot for everything. That will make things easier when I am out and about with my Nitro Stampede. I used to just throw a few spare screws and such into my tray, but now I can carry things like spare spur gears, suspension parts, etc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good job! And much nicer looking than the metal one I made out of a box i found in a junk pile lol...
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Hey, whatever works for you.

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    god i wish thats all i have to carry. I have a 3 drawer rolling box i ing everywhere. lol but nice cooleo
    looking for Revo to E revo conversion parts PM me

I have a 3 drawer rolling box i ing everywhere.
    Why would you need something that big!?

Mine carries enough stuff to keep me going for about 2.5-3 hours. I usually don't break anything, but I do tend to have screws come out and I also lose shock spring retaining clips... as you can imagine, I have a few of those in my little parts kit.

Thanks.

Ha, I have a big tool-box(which has a sealed 12V batt for my chargers) and three drawers full of parts.

I am breaking the handle off the tool box because it is so heavy. I guess having a 12V battery in it doesn't help. lol
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

I don't see why you would want to lug all of that around! Why not just power your chargers with the battery in your (or your buddy's, parents, etc.) car?

Yeah....I guess I could do that. I like charging my batteries right from my pit box.It is really convenient and cool.I might take it out because it it just plain too heavy.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5