Thread: gear mesh

RC Competitor

gear mesh

how do you guys do it? i had several tries installing a motor and i couldnt get it right after the first few tries. when i tightened the motor screws the pinion kept creeping up to the spur gear and always ended up too tight.

what i did was fold a piece of paper in half (like two pieces of paper together) put it in there and it worked somewhat but i realized the pinion was too far apart from the spur. then i just put another piece of paper in between, but didnt fold it in half. that seemed to work.

whats the best way?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
    how do you guys do it? i had several tries installing a motor and i couldnt get it right after the first few tries. when i tightened the motor screws the pinion kept creeping up to the spur gear and always ended up too tight.

what i did was fold a piece of paper in half (like two pieces of paper together) put it in there and it worked somewhat but i realized the pinion was too far apart from the spur. then i just put another piece of paper in between, but didnt fold it in half. that seemed to work.

whats the best way?
    You were on the right track, just don't fold the paper. Place the strip of paper between the spur and the pinion. Slide them together and tighten down your screws. Tighten the non-adjustment screww first, then the other one. Then run the strip out from between the gears. Your mesh should be perfect then.
    If it's wet, sticky, and not yours..DONT TOUCH IT!

RC Racer
    you did it fine

RC Qualifier
    If it's regular notebook or printer paper, you don't have to fold it.

If you don't have that type of paper, you have something a little thinner, you might have to fold it, but I don't advise it.

Go find some regular paper.