Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My Neu Maxx almost done!!!!!!!!!!

I ran my Neu Maxx for the first time today! Well not the first time but let me start at the beginning. After constantly repairing a broken RC10 T3 with a 2s LiPo MM 7700 Kv, I bought an E- Maxx. I thought with all the upgrades and after market parts available I shoud be able to have a great brushless basher. So first came the upgrades. I tried to keep it as light and strong as I could.

Upgrades:
    Castle Mamba Max esc
    Two 7-cell, matched and zapped NiMh packs from SPC and 2 TrakPower 2S1P 4900 mAh LiPo battery packs
    PowerStroke coil over shocks
    12 Associated slipper balls with heavey duty spring
    Traxxas wheelie bar
    RPM suspension arms
    RPM axle carriers
    Traxxas 3.3 turnbuckles
    Traxxas 3.3 drive shafts
    Revo wheels
    RC-Monster steel dog bone center shafts
    Traxxas 3.3 gray bulkheads
    Power Pole connectors
    Futaba S3305 MG steering servo
    Gorilla Max single speed transmission
    RPM shock towers and body posts
    RC-Monster steel idler
    FLM aluminum diff cups with modified gear and 3 mm screws

Next I had to find a motor. I wanted all the speed that I was used to with my stadium truck. After searching forums and asking questions I got a Neu 1515/1y and a UBEC from RC-Monster.com.

Then the fun started. The Neu is so big that it hits the transmission, so you can only use larger spurs and pinions. If not the gears would not mesh. The problem was the MM controller would cog with the 4 pole Neu if the gears were too large. I tried anyway. With Brian's gear calculator I figuered out the smallest gears that would mesh. With a 52t mod1 Associated gear and a 17t pinion I thought I was read to go. I put 14 cells in and....nothing. I was over voltage. Apparently Castle had changed the fet board and my MM would no longer run on 14 cells. I tried only 7 cells and it actually rolled, but cogged like crazy.

Which brings me to tonight. I got my bother to solder up some bullet connectors dropped in the two 2s lipos and She rolled! Close to 38mph!!

Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538462
    Transmission Ratio: 1.7222222222222223
    Spur Tooth Count: 52
    Pinion Tooth Count: 17
    Total Voltage: 14.8
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 6
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor coil Ω: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.06 : 1
    Total Ratio: 14.99346 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.85 inches (478.78mm)
    Total Motor Speed: 32560 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 38.76 MPH (62.27km/h)
    Effective Speed Rate: 2.62mph/V (4.21kmh/V)
    Effective KV Value: 2200

As Matthew once said: I love my E-Maxx

I hope to add a Strobe slipper, lighter wheels and a MGM speed controller because I hate cogging
    Oh and with the MGM controller maybe 5s for some insanity.

Thanks to evryone in this forum for all the advice and help.
    Last edited by mkrusedc; 09-08-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    looks great, should be powerful!!!
    gigity gigity gigity gu

RC Competitor
    Nice Job!

Good, clean build. Looks fast just sitting there.

RC Qualifier
    Too bad about the cogging and the 14 cells problem, but good to see it can go.
    Did you get to drive it long enough to see how temps will be? How's the power and speed.
    Did you use it on road or off road, because those tires at those speeds on road get a little...unstable. On grass they go alright at high speed though, just a bit heavy.

RC Champion
    Great Job Mark !!!

And your welcome.

I'd start a small fund for upgrading your bulkheads. I know you are trying to stay as light as possible.

I went the same route, but after I had spent over $1000 on the build I just could not put alot of faith in those plastic grey bulkheads.

Have you seen the "the part you need" on the bay?

I also see you are now considering the MGM over the Quark. Great minds thinking alike.

Have you been able to bash this configuration much yet?
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Champion
    looks like a great combo there.. the nue looks great also.. I'm glad that 4s still works with the newer mm though. anyway bro nice looking set-up.
    phil
    slash 4x4 160mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Qualifier
    i want that motor in my pede
    tamiya plugs are depressing...

RC Qualifier
    With a current draw of ZERO, That's not a very fast motor. ROFL.

I'm sure just a typo.

Was 38MPH correct? A stock E-MAXX with EVX-2 and 14 NMHI cells will hit nearly 35 on a full charge.
    Last edited by UNSLOW; 09-09-2007 at 10:06 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for the comments everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 86
    Too bad about the cogging and the 14 cells problem, but good to see it can go.
    Did you get to drive it long enough to see how temps will be? How's the power and speed.
    Did you use it on road or off road, because those tires at those speeds on road get a little...unstable. On grass they go alright at high speed though, just a bit heavy.
    The cogging was helped tremendously by making the throttle curve exponential. At the 30% mark I pulled down until I got a nice smooth curve. It is fairly shallow and I may deepen it. My current settings are:
    brake 30%
    punch 80%
    start pwr low
    drag brake disabled
    motor timing low

No temps yet. The test runs were done with Rrevo talons on concrete, which were balloning like crazy!
    Last edited by mkrusedc; 09-09-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Shocker
    Great Job Mark !!!

And your welcome.

I'd start a small fund for upgrading your bulkheads. I know you are trying to stay as light as possible.

I went the same route, but after I had spent over $1000 on the build I just could not put alot of faith in those plastic grey bulkheads.

Have you seen the "the part you need" on the bay?

I also see you are now considering the MGM over the Quark. Great minds thinking alike.

Have you been able to bash this configuration much yet?
    Thanks Doug, I now have so much power a little exta weight might actually be helpful. At wot my Revo talons were ballooning! The Maxx being a MT is a little unstable at close to 40mph. I am going to start evaluating extended chassis and aluminun bulk/diff cases.

BTW I bought a MGM 160/16 from RC-monster. The quark will need heat modification and after thermalling MM in my RC10 T3 I am tried of heat problems. With his fast shipping I'll have it no later then Wednesday.

No bashing yet. Maybe this afternoon.
    Last edited by mkrusedc; 09-09-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildogg
    looks like a great combo there.. the nue looks great also.. I'm glad that 4s still works with the newer mm though. anyway bro nice looking set-up.
    phil
    Thanks. I am speed junkie and was thinking 4s would be to slow so when I get my new MGM controller I would go up to 6s. I think 6s would just be uncontrollable. 4s blazes!!
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSLOW
    With a current draw of ZERO, That's not a very fast motor. ROFL. I'm sure just a typo.

Was 38MPH correct? A stock E-MAXX with EVX-2 and 14 NMHI cells will hit nearly 35 on a full charge.
    Those stats are calculated out of Brian's Speed calculator. I copied and pasted the results of my configuration.

All I can say is my E-Maxx with the EVX on 14 matched and zapped IB 4200 NiMh cells never made my Talons ballon. Wot is now almost uncontollable with a much better suspension. It is way faster
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Thats a sweet lookin machine. One day I hope to go BL. Will be nice to see what/if Traxxas plans bl in a new Maxx. One can only hope...
    No he's not the Tom from M-Space!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks for all the comments.

I was able to tweak the MM controller to minimize cogging. The speed is absolutly unbelievable. If I wanted almost constant wheelies. If I factor in the tire balloning I am at 40mph. I can't imagine it on 6s with the MGM controller.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Very nice! Good to see it running now and most importantly your enjoyiong it!!!
    Run it, break it, fix it, love it :]=~

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    MGM Compro cotroller arrived today!! Way cool with dual heatsinks, 6 LiPo or 18 NiMh, 160 Amp, 6v BEC. Can't wait to install. Good bye MambaMax cogging!
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    Very nice indeed!

Post pics when you get the next mods.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    As Matthew once said: I love my E-Maxx
    Are you referring to this thread?

Nice truck you got goin' there Mark! I can't remember if you had made any videos yet, have you?

Matthew (who loves his E-Maxx)
    If you lose your temper, you’ve lost the argument

RC Qualifier
    Too funny E-Matt... I don't know how many of those bumper screws I have broke... That's why I use the stock bulkhead braces, cheap fix if it saves the rest of the truck!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes Matthew, who loves his E-maxx, that is the one. No vids yet, but soon. I would love to get one of the block long wheelie with all 4 tires ballooning.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    That MGM controller is sweet. Did you get it mounted yesterday? If so how does it run?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just, at lunch, picked up some 4mm gold bullet connetors that I needed. Depending on street flooding from TS Umberto, I'll try for installation on Friday or Staurday. This will also give Mike time to get to me the USB cables so that I can program it with my PC. It is bigger than the MM and I am considering putting it behind the motor plate, if it will fit, for protection. I have the MM sitting where the second Titan was, but I am a little concerned about impacts when bashing.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would be concerned too with an esc that nice- rollcage/bar maybe?...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anytime someone suggested some type of aluminum hopup I used to think NO Way. I wanted to stay as light and fast as possible, but with the Neu I have more power than I need. A roll cage is doable, thanks!
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Cool

I could not stand the cogging. So, I upgraded the controller to a MGM Compro 160/16

Now to program it.................
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    So you got the 16018? The newer one that can do 6s? I think you'll be happy with that setup once you get it programed right, and if not you could buy another trackpower pack and strap it sideways behind the transmission for some crazy 6s action every once in a while . Still within spec and still lighter than 12 cells nimh.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, Patrick I did. After struggling to try and make the MM work I did not want to use anything close to the limits. I wanted smooth cool runs. At 4s with a stock chassis the truck is so fast it is almost uncontrollable. I think to run 6s I would need at a minimum an extended chassis if not slamming it, Maybe I'll try some speed runs one day.

Edit: According to Brian's speed calculator at 6s and my current gearing of 52/17 I'd be above 50mph...OMG

Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538462
    Transmission Ratio: 1.7222222222222223
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 52
    Pinion Tooth Count: 17
    Total Voltage: 22.2
    Motor KV: 2200
    Tire Diameter (inches): 6
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor coil Ω: 0.006
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.06 : 1
    Total Ratio: 14.99346 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 18.85 inches (478.78mm)
    Total Motor Speed: 48840 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 58.14 MPH (93.4km/h)
    Effective Speed Rate: 2.62mph/V (4.21kmh/V)
    Effective KV Value: 2200
    Last edited by mkrusedc; 09-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickyT
    That MGM controller is sweet. Did you get it mounted yesterday? If so how does it run?
    A few test runs tonight as it was getting dark. So far very smooth and NO cogging at all!!
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I finally got a chance to run my NeuMaxx. Bashed for about 35 minutes on the New Orleans levee. 20 minutes into it the tires were still balooning. ***silly grin*** . It ran very smooth without any cogging.

Temps were:
    90F ambient
    117.6F esc
    128.2F motor

The only damage was 3 lost body clips and a mounting screw for one of my shocks stripped out of the arm hole.

I'll post another threads with my first attempt at vids
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Qualifier
    Gotta be happy with those temps

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes very happy.

It has so much power I have to relearn throttle control. With Titans I could just bash around at full throttle all most the whole time, now I have to use a little better control.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here is my first attempt at a very short video. Of course all the best action was when I wasn't rolling. It is alot easier to take still photos then a movie with one hand. The next one will be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdalFU4itLA
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    No doubt, you need a tripod.

She looks mighty powerful Mark. Glad things are getting closer to the way you like them. I'm sure you will learn better "throttle control" pretty quickly. The life of your truck surely demands it.

"Bodies" is one of my son's favorite songs. Too bad it didnt go a little longer, but aint complaining.

Major props, nice electrical tid bits.
    Y-Town Competition Crawlers Team Driver

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tripod, more bashing and longer/better video this weekend.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

More temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 86
    Gotta be happy with those temps
    I got a chance to do a little bashing today. Sorry no vids but some teperatures for those that have asked.

I ran 4s1p 4900mAh batts until the LVC shut me down. Ambient temp was 87F. Gearing is 52t spur and 17t pinion.

With a body with vent holes:
    motor was 127F
    esc was 105F

With out a body:
    motor was 126F
    esc was 103F

my Maxx
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a few questions.

I just got a Strobe slipper and the only spur that fits is the Onfa 51 correct? This is mod1 not 32p correct?

Given the temps I have been running do you think I could go up a few teeth on my pinion? If so 18? 20?

Thanks
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrusedc
    I have a few questions.

I just got a Strobe slipper and the only spur that fits is the Onfa 51 correct? This is mod1 not 32p correct?

Given the temps I have been running do you think I could go up a few teeth on my pinion? If so 18? 20?

Thanks
    The ofna 51 will fit, yes it is Mod1, run it and see if you you have room to play with the gearing. With the temps you listed you may be able to squeak out a tooth or two more.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Ofna spur is Mod 1 correct. Not certain on sizes though, I would have thought you could use smaller/larger spurs with the strobe though (famous last words). Given the temps on the esc, I would say you could go up maybe a couple teeth, then check temps on both motors and esc- no higher than about 130-140f on the esc is recommended (to be on the safe side, though much higher temps have been regulaly recorded by that lot of nutters on RCM, god bless us...).
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just got my 51t spur and 20t pinion. It was raining with street flooding so I could not test it, but as soon as I can I'll post what temps and speed iIget.
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well bad news. I could not fit the pinion. At the end of the motor slide I still did not have enough space. Does any one know of a single motor or different motor mount with a wider mount?
    E-Maxx Neu1515 1y/MGM 5s