RC poster

One Way Bearing Maintenance for Traxxas EZ-Start

I bought my REVO 3.3 last weekend and thus far, have burned ~ 1/2 gallon of fuel. Talking with someone today, they told me to count on having to change out this OWB after a tank of gas or so. Is that true? SO far, I have been using WD40 on the engine after each run....Will that help at all prolonging the life of this OWB?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

RC Racer
    I dont even know how to replace it
    Revo3.3, OS.21TM, Traxx Res pipe, 20% O'donnel

RC Champion
    Figure around a gallon of fuel burned, that you will have to worry about it. That's about how long mine lasted before it started slipping.

After run procedures won't help pro-long the one way bearing. What happens is some fuel and oil mix slips past the rear bearing seal of the engine and it slowly starts to gum up the bearing's rollers. When the bearing gets a little gummy, it will not grab the start shaft because the rollers cannot move freely and provide the wedge action.

One way bearings only roll one direction and they lock or grab onto the shaft when you spin them the opposite way. Once the engine is started and running, the starter shaft spins faster then the E-Z start, so it over runs the roller bearing.

Anyway, maintenance of the bearing is pretty easy. You just pull it off the start shaft, after removing the back plate and E-Z start, soak it in alcohol or paint thinner, clean it all up, and then soak it in some motor oil. I used 5W30 synthetic, but conventional oils will work too. Soak it over night, then re-install. No big deal.

Inspect the cage of the bearing (what holds the rollers in place) and see if they are bent up. If they are, it's probably time for a new bearing.
    Last edited by Shelby VNT; 05-04-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC poster
    Thank You very much for the insight & reccomendation......I will do that! Is there any other maintenance surprises like this that the manual doesn't tell you about?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wdh375xen
    Thank You very much for the insight & reccomendation......I will do that! Is there any other maintenance surprises like this that the manual doesn't tell you about?
    Your welcome! No, there aren't to many other surprises, at least not that I know of, or have found yet.

RC Qualifier
    how can you tell that the owb is worn? everytime i clean mine it just keeps slipping.i think ts worn.just asking?

RC Champion
    Prob needs a starter shaft.
    Once the OWB starts slipping, NEVER keep trying to get it engaged. If you clean it right away, they will last pretty long.
    8ight-T\XRay-B\3.3RaceRevo\OS.18BashRevo

RC Champion
    I have 2 gallons on mine and havn't had the owb out yet.
    (Got Fuel?) REVO 3.3, Jato 3.3, Rustys Daddy!

RC Qualifier
    The OWB should be cleaned and relubed with 5W30 synthetic oil every 5 tanks or so. The OWB will rob you performace and cause hard starting when it gets nitro in it and causes it to get sticky. And if it siezes onto the crank shaft...there not much fun to get off.

And as for the WD40----DONT USE it. use the after run oil. WD40 only dispurses water. After run oil absorbs the water.
    Loud Pipes Save Lives**SO**Let'R'Rip***

RC Qualifier

RC Racer
    my OWB last 3 1/2 gallons before it went bad. i have a spare now
    revo 3.3 and
    nitro 4-tec 3.3 for sale

RC poster

One way bearing

Quick question i went threw 2 owb I dot ow why but if you supose to cleant because of the oil why are you suppose to oil it agian, won't it cause it to slip again

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterJam'R
    The OWB should be cleaned and relubed with 5W30 synthetic oil every 5 tanks or so. The OWB will rob you performace and cause hard starting when it gets nitro in it and causes it to get sticky. And if it siezes onto the crank shaft...there not much fun to get off.

And as for the WD40----DONT USE it. use the after run oil. WD40 only dispurses water. After run oil absorbs the water.

traxxas says if u dont have after run 2 use it, and its not water ur worryin about, nitro is corrosive thats why ur flushin the motor
    First race/Stock Losi 8ight/finished 2nd

RC Champion
    believe it or not, I got my first revo in 2004 and it still has the original OWB and it has never been cleaned other then with a rag and it is still working fine and I stopped counting gallons around 10 or so......maybe it can be used in a commercial like some of those old Toyota's that have like 400,000 miles...lol
    #3 R.I.P DALE you are missed- when you are old enough to vote then you can tell me what i should or should not do. traxxas models - 4wd s maxx w/3.3 axles & carriers,turnbuckles: 1st gen revo w/ a 3.3: blast boat: t maxx 3.3: nitro 4 tec: nitro rustler. "ME" for president.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jato_revo08
    traxxas says if u dont have after run 2 use it, and its not water ur worryin about, nitro is corrosive thats why ur flushin the motor
    nitro is not corrosive, it causes rust and will gum up parts if they are not used so you flush the engine with wd-40 or ARO to keep the rust and gum out.
    #3 R.I.P DALE you are missed- when you are old enough to vote then you can tell me what i should or should not do. traxxas models - 4wd s maxx w/3.3 axles & carriers,turnbuckles: 1st gen revo w/ a 3.3: blast boat: t maxx 3.3: nitro 4 tec: nitro rustler. "ME" for president.

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    is the one way bearing the one on the ez-start backplate in the gear that grabs the crankshaft?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonrevo33
    is the one way bearing the one on the ez-start backplate in the gear that grabs the crankshaft?
    yes, that's it, it's stuck in the ez start housing.

when you guys say slipping, you mean that it just won't turn or it barely turn because mine would barely turn and all i had to do is charge the ez- start battery and it worked great and i have had mine for over a year and to save weight i went to roto start.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    [QUOTE=savagenomore]nitro is not corrosive, it causes rust the rust QUOTE]

OK, we dont have to get all "scientific" about this but, last time i checked "rust" is what nitro causes/does to metal ^^^ as you posted, hence it is corrosive.

Use afterun oil or WD/40 whatever floats your boat

RC Qualifier
    Winnipeg, Manitoba the Slurpee Capital of the World
    nitro fuel is hygroscopic meaning it attracts moisture causing the parts in the engine to rust
    if you dont break something go higher and faster

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revo guy
    nitro fuel is hygroscopic meaning it attracts moisture causing the parts in the engine to rust
    BINGO......We have a winner.

RC Qualifier
    when mine started slipping I did the motor oil over night a few times .... And it eventually would start slipping again... I have maybe 2 and a half gallons through the motor so far. I say spend twenty bucks and have your truck start every time! Makes for a better weekend!!
    was down but now I'm up... Where's my beast!!!

RC Champion
    Old thread, but a goodie.

When some say's their one way bearing is slipping, it's because the rollers inside the bearing aren't gripping the starter shaft. This can be caused by a few things, but most commonly gummy or dried up fuel residue and oil, a bad bearing cage, or a worn starter shaft. You can try changing batteries all you want in your EZ start wand, but if the bearing is slipping, it will do you no good.

To check and see if the bearing is slipping, here is what you do. Put your finger lightly on the flywheel of the engine. Plug in the starter and hit the button. If you hear the starter motor spinning, but the flywheel does not turn, or if it only turns once in a while, then the bearing is bad, or slipping. Anytime you hit the starter button, the flywheel should be turning.

my revo 3.3 has lasted over a year without replacing the OWB and still starts and sounds like a ferrari.

NOTE:My REVO does not sound like a Ferrari.

RC Racer
    OWB will need some attention to last is it turns the same speed as the engine
    After arround 2-3 hrs of running I remove it from the truck clean it with Eather(Starting fluied) and Re-Oil with a 5wt Synthetic oil (Motocross fork oil)
    Replace and have fun
    I only have 1.5 gal on my truck but it has not given me trouble since I started doing regular Maintanence to it

RC Qualifier
    I have a couple of old 35mm plastic film containers. I put some denatured alcohol in one and use it to get the bearing clean. In the other I have some marvel mystery oil. I clean the bearing and then store it in the oil. As soon as I notice any slippage, I change them.
    Revo, O.S 18TM, Ofna 1/8 clutch, Spektrum DX3 (with the optidrive and reverse working), Futaba S9351 Steering, 3305 Throttle, Blue RPM arms all around

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by savagenomore
    nitro is not corrosive, it causes rust and will gum up parts if they are not used so you flush the engine with wd-40 or ARO to keep the rust and gum out.
    This has some truth to it. The nitro is an extremely oxygenated mixture that has a knack for attracting moisture like a dry sponge, the moisture in turn causes the rust and corrosion on the aluminum/metal parts of the motor. WD-40 although works in a pinch will now preserve your motor and lubricate the bearings and mechanical parts when its not running nitro through it.-Q
    When in doubt the throttle is your friend....