RC Competitor

Why shouldn’t I use wheel bearing grease?

Today we have much more choices for different types of grease to use on you RC car or truck, other than the black (graphite) or white (lithium) grease that your can buy from almost every RC manufacturer. One of the choices that many hobbyists have gone to is automotive wheel bearing grease, both conventional and synthetic. So why not? Well it comes done to viscosity, typical automotive wheel bearing grease is extremely viscous, or simply super thick, super sticky. That ain’t good for a little high spinning gear set. Even though it provides great lubrication, it takes a lot of power to overcome the high viscosity. Simple example, the silicone lube for your diff, the higher the viscosity, the stiffer the setup.

If you could test the different greases, you would find that using automotive wheel bearing grease slows you down considerably. Set up a tranny & motor set on a bench and measure the full RPM with no lube at all. That would be the benchmark. Lube everything with either white or black grease and you will see a gain of about 2-3%. Clean everything up and then lube everything up with a red or green synthetic wheel bearing grease and whammo, you lose 4-5%. Now if a ˝ oz. of weight make the difference between a win and a loss, why would you kill your power with the wrong kind of grease. There are alternative choices now in the RC market, for grease that is specifically designed for RC applications, and if you want to get a edge on the competition, you need to be using the “right stuff”.
    'Supercoolin'
    Gorrilla Snawt Synthetic Grease

RC Racer
    what kind of cut are they giving you?
    tip-take pics w/ a digicamera of what you work on

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was thinking that too. I like tamiya ceramic grease- light stuff, works very well, and tastes interesting too.
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pooperscoopa
    what kind of cut are they giving you?

all of it.
    'Supercoolin'

RC Champion
    I concur with what you are saying !

I just had to rebuild a diff after only a total of 8 hours of run time (high speed runs)....and i used white lithium axle grease. The grease was fine at first, but had liquefied and flung off of the gears- which left no lubrication

I have also used the Gorilla Snawt in my second build....even though i have yet to power-up this build, I can already "hear" and "feel" the difference.

My first build is sitting on my workbench, completely dissassemled, just waiting on a new delivery of Gorilla Snawt..

I am a believer
    Been there, done that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I believe the term used to describe the 'slowing down' effect of using the wrong grease is 'stiction'- sticky friction.

I have but one question: why 'gorilla snawt'?...
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicideneil
    I was thinking that too. I like tamiya ceramic grease- light stuff, works very well, and tastes interesting too.
    Ive used that stuff since my 1st RC, I have tubes and tubes of it in my toolbox... How does Boron Nitride taste ? like chicken

RC Qualifier
    I think the olny way to tell for sure is to test Gorilla Snawt in a tranny and check the rpms against other lubes.As far as helping with wear on the Gears in the tranny I do not know if anything will help at all the gears in the tranny are pretty wide.I know that most plastic gears are made with higher oil content in the plastic ti help with wear.

RC Enthusiast
    Interestingly enough, inline skaters have been very interested in low viscosity bearing lubricants for a number of years now. Bones and other bearing manufactures make some good lubes (Bones Speed Cream is a popular one).

Keep in mind that while inline skate wheels spin at lower rpms compared to rc's (2k to 5k rpm for skates), there load is much higher.

I have no affiliation with Bones

RC Competitor
    I believe the term used to describe the 'slowing down' effect of using the wrong grease is 'stiction'- sticky friction.

I have but one question: why 'gorilla snawt'?...
    There are two or three specialty greases that are available from different companies that have been formulated for the RC market. Snawt is formulated for extreme rpm use, high temperature use, and super low friction with it's high content of teflon fluoropolymers. You will see an addtional 2-4% RPM gain over conventional grease in a transmission test jig, as much as 2MPH gain on a high powered RC rig. Every transmission that we have assembled and used with Snawt, has almost no gear noise and it doesn't "wear" off. It stays where you put it even under extreme centrifugal loads. It is not the only "purpose" grease available, it is just the "best".
    'Supercoolin'

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wade7575
    I think the olny way to tell for sure is to test Gorilla Snawt in a tranny and check the rpms against other lubes.As far as helping with wear on the Gears in the tranny I do not know if anything will help at all the gears in the tranny are pretty wide.I know that most plastic gears are made with higher oil content in the plastic ti help with wear.
    Any grease with a high teflon content will prevent wear of any loaded surface or material. With conventional lubricants, the higher the viscosity, the harder it is to "squeeze" it out from between the gear teeth. No matter what lubricant you choose, it's ability to overcome the pressure between each wear surface is key to it's longivity. Teflon fluoropolymers "bond" to the wear surface and are so "slick" that it is almost impossible to "squeeze" it off the gear teeth.
    'Supercoolin'

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Let me re-phraze that (although you've done a good job of convincing me of its merrits): Why choose that aweful name for the stuff, lol? I know its green, but thats just grim....
    READ THE FAQ!
    or else.....

RC Champion
    lol the fact that it looks like snot or a regurgitated smokers lung is bad enough, but acknowledging that with the brand name seriously makes me leery to put my fingers in it. Can you make me a black batch ? Im serious, i want to try it

RC Competitor
    Let me re-phraze that (although you've done a good job of convincing me of its merrits): Why choose that aweful name for the stuff, lol? I know its green, but thats just grim....

* Synthetic * * Non-Toxic * * All-Purpose * * Waterproof * * w/ Teflon *

Besides you won't forget the name any to soon.
    'Supercoolin'

RC Enthusiast
    Where I can find this Gorilla Snawt?

RC Champion
    ebay, just type in snawt in the main search lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I looked at Ebay and they have ads for heli, truck and specific brands. Does this mean there is a speific snawt for a certain brand or model? I thought snawt applies to all rc's?
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by george16
    I looked at Ebay and they have ads for heli, truck and specific brands. Does this mean there is a speific snawt for a certain brand or model? I thought snawt applies to all rc's?
    It is part of the search methods used at ebay, that way any type of rc vehicle is covered when a search is run, Just read the description in any auction. It is a universal application for all RC's
    'Supercoolin'

RC Champion
    I've used axle grease in all my diffs, maybe a reason they never last? The diff cups are my biggest failed component. Andrew32 had a professor who explained an interesting point to him. He mentioned that because of the plastic cup and housing that the axle grease would penetrate into the softer material, weakening it to the point of compromised strength.
    The answer is no. And yes, mine is faster.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted
    I've used axle grease in all my diffs, maybe a reason they never last? The diff cups are my biggest failed component. Andrew32 had a professor who explained an interesting point to him. He mentioned that because of the plastic cup and housing that the axle grease would penetrate into the softer material, weakening it to the point of compromised strength.

In the case of a petrolium based product, that is correct, at has the potential of actually attacking the plastic on a molecular level and breaking it down. This is true of almost any grease used in the automotive industry with the exception of synthetics. Both lithium and graphite based greases are not petrolium based. Actually I don't believe that any of the main stream greases offered by the RC market are petrolium based. It is just that wheel bearing or automotive tube grease was not entended to be used on plastic gears or parts. Rubber yes, plastic no.
    'Supercoolin'

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercoolin
    It is part of the search methods used at ebay, that way any type of rc vehicle is covered when a search is run, Just read the description in any auction. It is a universal application for all RC's

That's cool. Thanks supercollin' .
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted
    when your diffs fail, what exact parts are failing...the diff ring, or the planetary gears?

mine failed on the diff ring,,,5 teeth sheared off
    Been there, done that.

RC Champion
    The diff cups have failed on me 7 times and ring/pinion 4 times. But the ring/pinion only fail in the 2 screw cases, when I'm using the 4 screw cases it is the plastic cups.
    The answer is no. And yes, mine is faster.