RC Enthusiast

Spunky Bob's new slash

Hi All,

My name is Pierre and I just got myself a new slash roller today which was scratch build with everything RPM except for the LCG chassis and shock mounts, Robinson racing gears and a Savox 1258 servo. It is all brand new and never had any electronics hooked up

I have ordered a 4350KV motor for it which I will be running on a 120A esc.

I also got myself a jconcept raptor body which I have yet to cut out and paint up.

I will be mainly using this for bashing so I am wondering what are some cheap wheel/tires to throw on? I believe these ones are not so good for what I want to do so they might just be my road tires

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-24-2016 at 08:21 AM.

RC Racer
    Looks good man! I'd highly suggest Proline Trencher tires on your choice of 2.2/3.0 wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpedduce View Post
    Looks good man! I'd highly suggest Proline Trencher tires on your choice of 2.2/3.0 wheels.

Cheers mate. I was looking at trencher tires pre mounted but not sure if I want to go 2.2 wheels and tires? I'll never be racing except with local guys at the beach and I have paddles for the rear already so would 2.2 give me more options?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    2.2"/3.0" are the dimensions of short course wheels. 2.2" outer bead and 3.0" inner bead. The Trenchers are some great all terrain tires. Just grab a set of those and pair with the wheels you like the most.

Spunky Bob's new slash

2.0 (close enough) vs 2.2/3.0
    "When in doubt, C4"

RC Racer
    For all around bashing, you cant beat stock tires. There not great on any surface, but for their price on ebay($25 shipped) they'll get you anywhere.
    its not fun until something breaks

RC Racer
    Why waste $25 for something you even said doesn't do good on any surface? Just picked up a set of Trenchers from my LHS for 21.99. Yes it's only tires but you don't need new wheels if your current ones are bad or done for.

Spend the little extra money for decent tires that preform better and will last longer.

RC Racer
    I run the 2.2/3.0 trenchers for off-road but am thinking about getting a set of 2.8 trenchers or Badlands after I wear these out.

In front of the house on the street I run 2.8 glocs all the way around. They're a little wider, but not as tall, and cuz I wanted a more low profile tire for less roll.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. My problem is where I live. Australia *sigh* a set of trenchers or badlands are $45 or $60 pre mounted.

Even stock wheels are $45 for 2 mounted.

If I didn't run on the road how long would a set of badlands/trenchers last?

RC Enthusiast
    I am just guessing here. But I would say at least 2 seasons on the badlands. I have them and think they are a great bashing tire/offroad

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkybob View Post
    Thanks guys. My problem is where I live. Australia *sigh* a set of trenchers or badlands are $45 or $60 pre mounted.

Even stock wheels are $45 for 2 mounted.

If I didn't run on the road how long would a set of badlands/trenchers last?

i know you're probably looking for something more definitive, but it varies..........depends on the surface, how often you run, 2s, 3s, etc......

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah all good. I would do maybe 2 batteries a week on 2s

So I minted up all the electronics today during my lunch break at work.. Drove all of 2 metres and the pinion came loose. That's what you get for not using lock tight. (didn't have any at work) before it came loose though it wasn't going very fast and making a strange noise, I think the slipper was on too lose. Will give another go later tonight.

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-29-2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Spunky, if you are mainly running on the beach, you might want to consider some cheap Chinese brand off road tires. They won't have good grip on the pavement but for around $10 a set they might be worth considering. Even if they are rock hard, an aggressive tread would work well in the sand....

RC Enthusiast
    I have sand paddles for the beach :-) its for the dirt bashing that I'm looking for now. Maybe the cheap Chinese ones are just what I need. For bashing it just needs to go fast doesn't need to handle well hehe

RC Qualifier
    You can get aftermarket tires for $20.00 for 2.....I have sand tires and Road tires,don't mix them.

In the tool box...Tire Glue,blue loctite,spare tires.You're Set.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi all. Been a while since my last update. I ended up going with the trenchers... Wow they are good!

I'm running 18/90 on my 4370kv motor but after a full run its very hot.. From what I'm reading this is actually quite a "forgiving" setup so could it be that the kV is too high so I'm not getting the torque? Its a 2pole motor, should I go 4 pole or just get a 550 motor and be done with it? (My pinion/spur mesh isn't too tight)

Also my run times don't seem to be very long, maybe 20min on a 5000mah 2s lipo, or is this normal for bashing?

Loving every minute of it though!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spunkybob; 06-10-2016 at 06:24 AM.

RC Racer
    Your truck looks amazing, as for your heat issues its most likely because that is a high kv 2pole motor. 4 pole will give you a lot more get up and go and you could see a temp change. And do you have your body raised, or is it just like that?

How old is the motor that is on now?

As for the lipo run time it depends on how hard you are on the trigger, if im conservative and not full speed then full brake i can get about 35-45min on a 5000mah 2s pack. If I'm heavy on the trigger then it reduces my run times to about 20-30min.
    its not fun until something breaks

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Your truck looks amazing, as for your heat issues its most likely because that is a high kv 2pole motor. 4 pole will give you a lot more get up and go and you could see a temp change. And do you have your body raised, or is it just like that?

How old is the motor that is on now?
    Hi Skyline, thanks for the kind words.

The body is just like that unless my body posts are longer then normal (not adjustable) which is good for jumping haha.

The motor is brand new which I got just for this RC. I think I might throw this in a small buggy in have and get something more SCT specific.

I generally bash it in the park next door so mostly full throttle so that might be why the heat and low battery tines.

I read somewhere that heat = lower run times due to lower efficiency. I get 40 min on my twin hammers with a 13.5t motor on a 3500mah 2s bashing in the same spot.

Maybe I'll put that motor in the slash and see? I think its around 3250kv.

RC Enthusiast
    OK I tested with 13.5 and it was cold after a full battery and run time twice as long. Will gear is up some and see.

RC Enthusiast
    Went from 18t to 21t pinion and its still running cool. Should I go bigger pinion again or install a smaller spur? Its currently got the 90t spur.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I decided to scratch all of the above and installed a 3800KV 4 pole.

On the 18 and 21t pinion its still cool to touch but not sure if I should gear higher (might install a smaller pinion instead of the 90) and see how I go.

Lets just say it hammers now.

https://youtu.be/YFCm_k6NC7Y

RC Enthusiast
    No real updates lately.. just been enjoying it a lot :-)