RC poster

Which hardened gears to beef up 2WD transmission with? i can only find 3 out of 5!

Hi All,

I've been looking at hardened gears so i can 6S a 2WD slash. Robinson racing has a hardened slipper/spur mod 1, hardened mod 1 pinion, and a hardened idler gear.

But from what i can see, there should be 5 hardened gears to complete the drivetrain (the below picture should help).

1. Pinion
    2. spur
    3. top drive gear (small gear on same shaft as spur)
    4. idler
    5. differential ring gear

I know i'll need the mip x duty shafts also, and then a tire/wheel combo that won't tear. but i just want to focus on the gears for now. Can anyone suggest where to get the hardened #3 and #5 gears from the above list?
    Last edited by zippy123; 02-04-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Good question. Those two seem to be the only ones I brake. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    @MaxxBash
    lol!! you really must be pushing your machine to the limit!

ok i've found that there are some aftermarket aluminum sealed diffs for the 2WD slash, one by FLM (part FLM20010), and another by Hot Racing (part TE38CH).

But alternatively, there are 2 other compelling non slash 6S low cost setups that seem to work ok, with very minimal breakage.

Arrma Granite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORVfak0EXg
    in the above video, the driver/owner has the metal gearbox gears (already comes with the granite blx), and has added 2 satellite gears to the diff, to total 4, which is what a lot of diffs usually have nowdays. and also runs a 32P spur (and corresponding 32p pinion). The driver/owner commented that he's damaged a diff due to a locked slipper, but that seems to be about it! Some downsides to this setup is that its difficult to find a used arrma granite, so I would have to pay full price. Also, the monster truck granite with its wheels sticking so far out won't give the nice scale SCT look that a slash and other SCTs have. It looks like the Arrma 2WD gearbox is shared between the Granite, Fury, and Raider XL models, so perhaps a better chance for me to get something used.

ECX Torment 6S
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mgL9E-ddk
    the above driver/owner inspected the diff and found that it seized due to the plastic diff housing melting in some key areas. all the gears were ok, too bad a MIP axle broke. The ECX metal gears, and a 32P spur and pinion would be super cheap. and replacing a melted diff case is also super cheap.

So now its become really difficult for me to conclude on which 2WD system, Slash, Arrma 2WD or Torment, i want to hack/mod into a FWD and do 6S with. sigh.
    Last edited by zippy123; 02-04-2017 at 11:28 PM.

RC poster
    After much of my personal research pointing how how 6S capable a stock Arrma Fury/Granite BLX are, and also how they already come in an LCG design with a 32P spur gearing and durable metal geared gearbox...I went and did the next step...which was search local ads and pick up a 2WD Slash!

RC Racer
    you and i are on the same quest z1ppy123... i am thinking about calling a local place that makes custom gears and try to get a set of 32p or mod-1 internal gears. not sure how my wallet will like that. i have a print of that gearbox on youTube with mod-1 gears. i've been trying to count the teeth and figure out what gears he used.

i really wish there was a differential that had tougher internal gears.
    i was looking at the ARRMA 1/8 RAIDER XL
    http://www.rcdriver.com/arrma-raider...-buggy-review/

but the review says it's a 1/10 stretched, so it's probably 48p.
    maybe the internal gears are tougher in the diff.

hpi blitz/firestorm uses 32p internal gears, and might have a pretty tough diff. i think i will experiment with this next...

good luck on your journey...

RC poster
    i was looking at the Arrma 2WDs as well. Their BLX 2WD transmissions have a 32p spur gear. But in all of their 2WD diff cases, there's only 2 spider gears.

In this youtube video about "ARRMA "Beast" Granite - 6s"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORVfak0EXg

The user comments in the notes that:

Tp-Parts Rc-Xtreme1 year ago
    i run 4 bevell gears insted of 2. 32p spur. its hard to adjust the slipper with 6s ��..but i mostly run on sand, gravel. on 3s i had no proplem...ok i smoked one diff cuz of slipper was locked

In other comments on his several Granite "Beast" videos, he mentions that he cannot have it at full throttle for long.

So with the Arrma 2WD gearbox, either standard with adding a 32p spur, or BLX gearbox with included 32p spur, 2 more spider gears have to be added in both cases, a loosened slipper in both cases...and 6S bursts are possible. some type of custom bracket would have to be made to the Arrma 2WD gearbox to fix it to the slash. slash's gearbox has screwholes at the bottom. The Arrma one has it at the back.

RC Racer
    the gears from the Arma Mega Granite look beefy. i wonder if they might (by some miracle) drop into the SL2SH gearbox...

OK stupid question...... What motor are you using.?
    I'm getting close to 60 on 3s with a 2650. My issue is stopping blow over with 2wd.
    There has to be a "give" point, I prefer the slipper to give rather than the trans.
    I also stopped running primes as too much grip was destroying daily.

Look into some crawler trans gears from a berg.Issue might be ratio

I am running a hardened idler gear, think it's Robinson
    https://www.amazon.com/Robinson-Raci.../dp/B005KP1J00
    Last edited by MikeMcE; Today at 03:34 PM.
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

RC Racer
    the 2200 kv can handle 6s i think... i bet one of those TPPower motors would do it. i am curious what he is running. 6s seems fun for a few passes, but i will take my 4s bashing.

i wish i could help you with the blow-overs, but i have not gotten my 2wd reaper build up and running fully. my most experience is with an SC10 2wd that i converted into a porsche GT8. that thing hits 70 and holds the front down pretty good. unless i hit a bump, or some hard gust of wind. i have yet to break 80 with it. i mostly bash around in the 60's with comfortable temps, and once my slash is ready, that SC10 is getting shelved...

RC poster
    I haven't done it as yet, but I'll use the stock items from the Arrma Senton v1 which is a 4074 unsensored motor and BLX180 (180amp) esc. The V2 Arrma Senton has the BLX185 esc (only 150A), which corrects some problems with the power cutting out and fan/esc prematurely dying.

Even though Arrma's website says the V1 esc runs on 6S only, there have been reports of people running it on 3S normally. So this seems like a good system i can put in the slash. I will test it with 2S and hopefully it will work. Then i can up it to 3S or even 4S for bashing, and will take the 6S battery out of the Senton for some risky grass/lawn tearups when I get the courage.

To prevent flipping, I'm going with the Proline buggy body, its triangular shape should keep unwanted air out! Also, theres a video (in german) on youtube that shows a person comparing a slash 4x4 and Senton, and the end he switches their bodies, the senton body fit right onto the slash 4x4, but the slash body holes didn't fully line up on the senton.

oh and yes there is a "give" point, to counteract it I will do a mid motor conversion, perhaps use 2 shorty packs and stuff them near the front, and then eventually add required weights at the front. But i want to progress through all of the stages to really understand how the slash handling improves with each mod.

Anyhow, before converting my slash to a buggy, i will try it out with the Senton body, which has a lot of holes in it and a rear spoiler. I look forward to just driving these things around, rather than just staring at piles of cleaned parts waiting for my bearings to arrive!
    Last edited by zippy123; Today at 06:30 PM.

Robinson Racing makes great hardened gears. I highly recommend them.
    "Gone racing"