RC Champion

question(s): using easy-off oven cleaner to remove chrome from rims

I've heard people talking about using easy-off oven cleaner to remove the chrome from RPM rims and lately ive been thinking about doing this to my RPM 2.2 chrome bully rims. my tires are glued to the rims so i'll have to tape those up really well before applying it. afterwards i am planning on painting the rims a metallic black. i needed a bit more info about it first before i get to it; ive got a few questions:

1. how do i apply it? -do i just put the stuff on and let it sit, or do i scrub it in?

2. what should i use to apply it? -washcloth? sponge?

3. how much of the stuff do i use?

4. how long does it usually take for the chrome to come off?

5. will it dry on its own or should i wipe it dry with a damp cloth or sponge afterwards?

6. does it do a good job of thoroughly removing the chrome?

thanx for all your help
    "As you think, so shall you become." -Bruce Lee

RC Champion
    1. You spray it on and let it sit.

2. It comes in a can, so you spray it.

3. You can use as much as you want, so a good, healthy amount,

4. It will vary depending on the type of chrome used and how much is applied. So a good 2 hours.

5. You should wash off all of the residue with water then wipe it dry.

6. It does an excelent job of removing the chrome. The chrome will drip down the sides so if you want not even the slightest bit left, then you can apply extra to the flat part of the wheel.

Also, make sure to get the yellow can of EZ-Off, it works the best. And be really carefull not to touch the stuff with your skin and wear goggles, it is nasty stuff.
    "I told you a million times not to exaggerate!"

I used the EZ-off oven cleaner on some old RPM chrome wheels that looked nasty due to the major chrome chippage. They came out almost looking like new! I let mine sit overnight and then I rinsed them off with warm water. I kept applying the cleaner and continued to wait and rinse until all of the chrome and brown/yellowed stuff was gone. When it was all gone, I washed them thoroughly in warm soapy water before I mounted the new tires.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    ive got easy-off stove top cleaner on hand right now... will that work? its not a spray tho, its like a blue-green liquid. i'll probably just go with what silver flame mentioned tho -the EZ-off oven cleaner in the yellow spray bottle.

RC Champion
    ez-off will NOT work on pro-line chrome rims, also you will wont to remove the tires as the ez-off is pretty nasty stuff and could eat your tires. also instead of painting them, you could RIT dye them. the paint will chip off, the dye will not.
    Last edited by schofield; 03-31-2008 at 08:46 AM.

RC Champion
    im not using the EZ-off on pro-line rims, they're RPM rims. and if i absolutely MUST remove the tires from the rims, then ballooning's always fun . but i'll be taping them up pretty well with some good quality masking tape...unless it eats through that...

RC Qualifier
    Yes easy-off works just make sure its the Yellow Can. I did it on Chrome 2.2 Imex rims looks nice when done.

RC Champion
    thanx for the info guys . i wont be doing it until friday tho lol. i guess im going with the stuff in the yellow can since apparently that is the most efficient in removing the chrome. so....any response about whether it is absolutely neccessary to remove the tires? will it be alright if i tape them up really well with some quality masking tape?

RC Racer
    If the easy off easts the chrome off, it will most likely eat through the tape sinse if is paper. I would remove them just to be safe.
    deleted another post of mine

RC Champion
    ok thanx

RC Champion
    ok hey ive got one more question and hopefully when ppl see this thread they will answer this question... sorry for digging up an old thread...

So will the EZ-Off oven cleaner (in the yellow bottle) work to remove paint from rims? I recently bought some RPM white rims (the dyeable ones) and i was being kinda impatient and wasn't thinking when i wanted to paint them black so i "dyed" them with metallic black pactra spray paint... they looked great, but the paint is chipping from the rims (im not blaming the paint, im blaming myself for using it on rims lol). so anyways, now im thinking about (if it will work) going back and spraying the EZ-off oven cleaner on the rims to remove the paint, then rinsing them off and just dying them with black Rit dye... will that work?

thanx

It might remove the paint, but someone else will have to confirm that.

I have used paint thinner and a tooth brush to remove paint from wheels in the past. That worked pretty well. In fact, that is how I got my white RPM Sling Shot wheels to look like this:

I painted them and remove the paint from the outer surfaces, leaving the black in the center. Most people don't even notice it, but I like those little details that set my trucks out from the other trucks.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    ok thanx. i'll try using the ez-off on it and if it doesn't remove the paint then i'll try scrubbing it with a toothbrush lol. well if it doesn't get all the paint off, i'm at least hoping that it will take it off from the major outsides of the rims; then if there's still that on the inside of the rims (which is a thin coat btw) then the rit dye will fill in the white and since it actually seeps into the rim, whenever it the paint chips off, the black rit dye will still be there