Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tire Gluing/mounting by Nitronaught

Dear Mods,
    Please excuse the amount of pics, I thought it would be benificial. My son wanted to help he took the pics and helped with the mounting.

1. Turn all tires inside out. Clean them with naptha or denatured in the centers and around the beads of the tires.
    2. If you do not have holes in your rims drill 2 of them directly accross from each other. I hide my holes on the inside of the rim behind a spoke so they can't be seen.

Also use about 150 grit sandpaper on the inside of the rim beads and take any lines left from the molding process off the edges of the bead area. Scuffing up the area where the CA glue is going to be will make a much better adhesion between the tire and rim... This is very important especially if you hate re-gluing tires.

3. Cut the edges off your foarms so they have 45 degree angles on the edges.

4. Put 2 wraps of duct tape, I just used this gorilla tape it works good too. This controls a lot of high speed balloning.
    MAKE SURE THE ENDING EDGE IS AT THE SAME POINT AS THE LEADING EDGE OF THE TAPE.... This ensures a better balence of the tire.
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 02-16-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Champion
    Looking good so far, Nitronaught!
    -Chad
    -New SuperMaxx owner! ;)

5. Once you have taped the tire turn them right side in and use your fingers to sort of walk inside the tire pushing the tape nice end evenly working out any folds and creases best as possible. I use my index and middle fingers to do this.
    6. Once you have massaged the duct tape on the inside of the tire as best as you can tim to insert the foams. I normally fold mine 2 eims and then insert the side with the single fold in first.

7. Now message the foams into the tires making sure they are centered, have no folds and are nice and even.

8. Now work the bead onto the rims, massaging the tires by rolling them around, but not to worry if the beads are not sitting quite perfect yet.

9. I found using electrical tape as close to the edges and put it on tight forcing the bead to have even pressure. This will really help at glueing time.

Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

OK so now youre tires are mounted taped an you have the beads seated as best as you can making sure no part of the bead of the tire is showing.... Double check, cause next part is gluing.

7. Now, Start on the inside edges, this way you can practice how much glue you use. My I usually pull the bead away from the tire and just put a tiny bit use the tip to massage it out as much as possible leaving no blobs of glue anywhere.

Leave the tape on for at least 30 mins. I wait about an hour then flip them over and do the front of the tire beads.

Hope you enjoyed this little tire tutorial. This is just the way I do it. It works for me very well.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    great tutorial. this should be stickied.
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

Quote Originally Posted by C6 Z06
    Looking good so far, Nitronaught!
    I wasn't done. We are limited to 5 photos per post so I had to break it up.

Follow this method and you will have tires not ballooning excessively, they will not come unglued, they will not wobble at low or high speeds. I have done more tires than I care. But I guess when you get a good method it's not that bad. lolll
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 02-16-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

Quote Originally Posted by aussiek2000
    great tutorial. this should be stickied.
    I already have a tuning sticky.... Even though there was a lot of flack about getting it stickied, it's one of the top viewed posts, in fact they put it up in the FAQ section... After arceeguy refined it a little.....

All thes tips btw, I didn't create. I picked this up from others here and at the track.

If it wasn't for my older son helping me I would not have been able to post this..... He's a great kid...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    I already have a tuning sticky.... Even though there was a lot of flack about getting it stickied, it's one of the top viewed posts, in fact they put it up in the FAQ section... After arceeguy refined it a little.....

All thes tips btw, I didn't create. I picked this up from others here and at the track.

If it wasn't for my older son helping me I would not have been able to post this..... He's a great kid...
    Besides, I would have to agree with the mods, most of them feel we have enough stickies.

I made it searchable by using the words Tire Gluing/Mounting.. If you can't search and find that I would suggest not dealing with Nitro RC's.... Maybe tooo dangerous. lolll.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Enthusiast
    what kind of glue do you use? where did you get it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught

I think it is great to have a hobby that you can include your children in. Good job nitronaught. Your a great dad.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This should be a sticky in THIS thread.

It would be great to see the mods have a few stickies at the top of this page that are related to t-maxxs and are frequently asked!

This tutorial by Nitronaught adds value to this community!
    complete n00blet