Speed Test - Tmaxx 3.3 vs Revo 4s

Decided to do a little comparo to see where both land.

Highly entertaining but risky. I had to set the throttle linkage so I was getting WOT, but meant my idle will be wild if I didn't hold down the brake. I either need a new servo or I was going to try and increase voltage with a lipo.

Also surprising results. It was the revo that under performed, barely edging out the tmaxx.

Tmaxx - 36mph
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Revo - 38mph
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix243 View Post
    I had to set the throttle linkage so I was getting WOT, but meant my idle will be wild if I didn't hold down the brake.
    Either your carb is twisted a little, your linkage isn't correctly set up somewhere. You should be able to obtain WOT and idle just fine.

When you do this with your linkage to obtain WOT, is your carb slide being prevented from closing all the way or is it closing all the way and you still have a high idle. Need to remove your air filter and check this with the engine NOT running. There should be a 1mm gap with the slide all the way closed, the thickness of a regular sized paper clip wire.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Never occurred to me before but replaced the servo batts and seems to be really close now. Maybe just a sliver of the slide showing at WOT.
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Still not able to get it. I tried with the carb perfectly square to the linkage/block and slight angled .
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Still not able to get it. I tried with the carb perfectly square to the linkage/block and slight angled .
    Carb is not supposed to be perfectly square, It should be turned enough to that is has a small amount of clearance at full throttle from the spur gear.

Take a look at the exploded views. I'll put dollar to dime once you get the proper angle on that carb the linkages should be able to go all the way closed and all the way open....

Take a very close look at that linkage and carb setup. in the owners manual. This was the best I could find but not a good pic of the angle of the carb unfortunately.

Try this, turn the electronics on but have the pinch bolt of the carb loosened up. Now turn the carb counter clockwise and hold onto it, Use the transmitter to open the throttle, now tirn the carb and you will see which way you will need to turn the carb so you can get full operation of the slide.

Careful, there should be a tiny bit of free play in the linkage at full throttle, just a tiny tiny bit. It should be anouth room for the linkage to clear the spur gea an open the throttle all the way also allowing it to close fully.
    All Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Carb is not supposed to be perfectly square, It should be turned enough to that is has a small amount of clearance at full throttle from the spur gear.

Take a look at the exploded views. I'll put dollar to dime once you get the proper angle on that carb the linkages should be able to go all the way closed and all the way open....

Take a very close look at that linkage and carb setup. in the owners manual. This was the best I could find but not a good pic of the angle of the carb unfortunately.

Try this, turn the electronics on but have the pinch bolt of the carb loosened up. Now turn the carb counter clockwise and hold onto it, Use the transmitter to open the throttle, now tirn the carb and you will see which way you will need to turn the carb so you can get full operation of the slide.

Careful, there should be a tiny bit of free play in the linkage at full throttle, just a tiny tiny bit. It should be anouth room for the linkage to clear the spur gea an open the throttle all the way also allowing it to close fully.
    Excellent ideas and thanks for the reply! Never though of adjusting by rotating the carb while adjusting. Also you mentioned checking the manual and sure enough the linkage and on mid point on the servo arm, which I thought I tried but also makes sense for better travel.

Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Sorry man, I tried the carb method and it just seems like its adjusting it a different way than I've been trying.

I also set the linkage at mid point on servo arm and it's over rotating and getting stuck. Probably why I switched to the inside hole.

Next thing to try would be rechecking my chassis hole location I had to drill for the throttle post with the template. It does look to be off about 0.6mm from center to center. Just need to print template.

Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

IF it's over rotating you have more than one problem. The carb AND the collet on the linkage is out of adjustment.
    All Lives Matter

I can get 90% throttle with a bit high throttle when warmed up so I'm fine with that.
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

I can get 90% throttle with a bit high throttle when warmed up so I'm fine with that.
    OK, but, if you are missing throttle, your braking can be of as well. And if that linkage ever "Overpulls" the bellcrank you will have a WOT runaway.... Seen it...

There are thousands of TMAXX's out there, it is all in the angle of the carb, the collet settings.. And before you do any of that , cetner the trim of your radio, and r-center the servo linkage horn...... Go from there withh all I've stated. You will be soo happy when you get this right...
    All Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    OK, but, if you are missing throttle, your braking can be of as well. And if that linkage ever "Overpulls" the bellcrank you will have a WOT runaway.... Seen it...

There are thousands of TMAXX's out there, it is all in the angle of the carb, the collet settings.. And before you do any of that , cetner the trim of your radio, and r-center the servo linkage horn...... Go from there withh all I've stated. You will be soo happy when you get this right...
    Thanks for the replies. Only with the servo horn set in mid & far hole that it will get stuck and when it does it pulls back the other direction so no WOT. Ran 10 tanks on inside hole and is all good. Just lost motivation to keep trying.

I'm guessing it from the drilled hole locations for the throttle post, and I don't think that's an easy fix.

BTW, what kind of speed are you seeing from yours? Just as a benchmark as to what I'm seeing.

Ordered the huge updated air filter, just running the original small one. I'll probably play with it again once that comes.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-06-2016 at 08:44 AM. Reason: merge
    Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Bingo got it. It was either the throttle post spinning it around 180 and remounting or rebinding my receiver which gave me more servo throttle movement.

Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10

Way better then I thought it would be.

Merv
    ERBE
    T-Maxx Classic 3.3
    Axial Scx10