RC Qualifier

Revo 3 speed transmission

I think that traxxas should make a 3 speed transmission for the revo 3.3. for the people that want a little extra speed
    Last edited by Revoriffic; 02-13-2008 at 08:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'd rather have a single speed, but I only run at the track.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day! -HT

RC Champion
    a company makes a three speed transmission, but i cant think of what it is called. i am sure that you could search it on google and find it...

RC Champion
    its not worth it. the third gear is external to the transmission and looks like all kinds of problems.

if your looking for more speed, change the clutch bell to one with more teeth.
    Never chase a skunk with a Revo!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revo_maniack
    a company makes a three speed transmission, but i cant think of what it is called. i am sure that you could search it on google and find it...

HPI does. They did it for their Savage.
    I WILL spank a nitro any day...guaranteed. :)

RC Qualifier
    here is the 3 speed if you really want one.
    http://www.radrc.com/store/product_i...ee4c7526d71833
    Old School Nitro Rustler
    REVO 3.3

RC Racer
    kinda cool in concept. I wouldn't buy it unless I got one that came with a case and was intirely inclosed... 3 speeds would be great though for bashers!
    Revo 3.3 Lunsford kit RB323 Traxxas Sway bars

The problem with releasing a 3 speed is that then everyone will want a 4 speed, so why bother? IMO the 2 speed is fine, good power down low to get off from a start, then it shifts into second and you get all the top speed you want for a large truck.

RC Qualifier
    so whats wrong with a 4-speed? technoloigy is good. newer is better. why not run a 4 speed? that is if they made it. its kinda like the new glid touch technology that came out. i'm used to buttons and like buttons. my buddy has an i-pod and a chocolate cell phone. there both glide touch. no buttons. at first i hated it. but i got used to it and now i actually like it better. so technology will grow on you if you give it a chance and it does make life easier. i am just using this as a reference to closed mindedness. sure, everyone wont like the 3 speed. and possibly a 4 speed if they even invent it. but it'll be there for the people that want it. who would ever thought that a car would have a tranny that never shifts its called hydrostatic transmition. or an auto trans that has 7 gears and you cant feel it shift think lexas has that one. see my point?
    rbtm728,lunsford ti everything,rpm arms,tekno

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw27revo
    so whats wrong with a 4-speed? technoloigy is good. newer is better. why not run a 4 speed? that is if they made it. its kinda like the new glid touch technology that came out. i'm used to buttons and like buttons. my buddy has an i-pod and a chocolate cell phone. there both glide touch. no buttons. at first i hated it. but i got used to it and now i actually like it better. so technology will grow on you if you give it a chance and it does make life easier. i am just using this as a reference to closed mindedness. sure, everyone wont like the 3 speed. and possibly a 4 speed if they even invent it. but it'll be there for the people that want it. who would ever thought that a car would have a tranny that never shifts its called hydrostatic transmition. or an auto trans that has 7 gears and you cant feel it shift think lexas has that one. see my point?
    Your comparison is irrelevant. Think about this for a moment. The majority of Traxxas owners are n00bs, who have trouble adjusting the existing two-speed transmission. Can you imagine the sheer chaos that would result if there was even one more gear in there? Please...

RC Qualifier
    You do know there are a ton of EXPERIENCED people who run traxxas... The thing about traxxas is, pretty much 80% of all surface rc hobbyists have had a traxxas. The selling point to a lot of people (including me), is product support (parts availibility), cost, and aftermarket support. Im sorry, Ragamuffin, but that comment is just highly... (a lot of words to say..) presumptuous.

Radrd has been around for quite awhile. I remember they promised to come out with a 2 speed transmission for the nitro rustler, but it never happened...

I had a shumacher fusion when they first came out, and i loved the three speed (performance wise). But it was a bit too high maintenance. It would be better if traxxas made a 3 speed similar to the current 2 speed design (one set of gears externally and the second gear being internal).
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Champion
    I guess its good in concept, but I for one, do not have the space to utilize a three speed. To get the full benefit of the three speed, you would also want to have a BB. Look at the other 3 speeds. They all have WAY bigger motors than the 3.3. You go BB, and there are lots of other issues that arrise. The diffs struggle, the plastic drive shafts start to wear out and twist off, drive pins break, etc etc.

There would be a lot of engineering hurdles to a three speed other than the three speed. Plus, whats the point? A 75mph Revo? Talk to Over_revO. He has them doing 65. Thats faster than I am to control in a MT!
    RLTW

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The 3.3 dont have the power to go faster than 47-48mph with any tires you can try so adding a 3rd speed wont do much. Since you can be geared for 45mph(stock gearing or 15T36T) and still pop wheelies in 1st gear.

Thats the way i see it...
    And yes its pretty hard to control at 66mph!! definatly need a rear wing or it will just want to spinout..

World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    And yes its pretty hard to control at 66mph!!
    ^^^^^ and he would know, just watch his vids
    Revo3.3/21TM4Tec3.3RustlerVXLFluxMustang

RC Qualifier
    more stuff to go wrong. I am very happy with my single speed Revo.
    Hobbies- Spending insane money

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan3
    You do know there are a ton of EXPERIENCED people who run traxxas... The thing about traxxas is, pretty much 80% of all surface rc hobbyists have had a traxxas. The selling point to a lot of people (including me), is product support (parts availibility), cost, and aftermarket support. Im sorry, Ragamuffin, but that comment is just highly... (a lot of words to say..) presumptuous.
    Perhaps so, and in that case I stand corrected. But there seem to be more inexperienced hobbyists that are Traxxas owners, than experienced ones.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin
    Perhaps so, and in that case I stand corrected. But there seem to be more inexperienced hobbyists that are Traxxas owners, than experienced ones.
    Agreed...but I think this is because every lhs has them on display and the big fat skill level rating for kiddies is all over the Traxxas boxes so moms and dads of america go "oh lookie a nice little toy for my kids!" right when they walk into their local hobbytown.
    XRAY XT8,Hitec, JR, Spektrum, OS .28xz, etc etc...

RC Qualifier
    Noob or not, the ease in maintanence, set-up and reliability is why I bought a Revo. I researched for weeks until I bought my 3.3....and im a noob and proud of it! We all aren't born with RC savvy, some of us have to learn it as we go.

RC Qualifier
    I see both sides. But I really would like to see traxxas come up with a three speed revo also. Even if you don't see speeds much greater then the 40-45mph. It would still be cool to hear that thing change gears. Yes bashers would love the 3rd gear. I would love to see a big block 3-speed. Well on second thought it does not have to be a BB just something bigger or more powerful then the 3.3 perhaps a .23 or something. Yes I understand more parts to break but I'm sure it would be alot of fun. That is if nothing broke.

RC Qualifier
    There is one made, its called a Savage.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-DADDY
    There is one made, its called a Savage.....
    Agreed. But we all know the Revo is superior!

RC Qualifier
    bhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-bhhhhhhhhhhhhh-bhhhhhhhhhh yea i like the sound of that.
    My T-maxx eats nitro and poops Savages
    T-maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragamuffin
    Agreed. But we all know the Revo is superior!

You know they claim to be such great bashers but EVERY time I've seen one venture out on the race track they break!

The only thing my Revo breaks when at the track is other peoples ego’s
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    I prefer a two speed. It takes too much time to shift through all the gears when you need a high gear instantly. I had a Savage with a three speed once and it's not worth it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtieboy View Post
    Noob or not, the ease in maintanence, set-up and reliability is why I bought a Revo. I researched for weeks until I bought my 3.3....and im a noob and proud of it! We all aren't born with RC savvy, some of us have to learn it as we go.
    I'm with you bowtieboy! i had no rc experience and bought a revo 3.3 and loving it!

RC Competitor
    Almost 4 years old.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by REVO-DADDY View Post
    You know they claim to be such great bashers but EVERY time I've seen one venture out on the race track they break!
    agreed. Did the savage thing.. twice. They handle poorly and break often not to mention they are a pain to work on. I just recently jumped into a revo and it's done nothing but impress me in fun and durability. It has survived crashes that my other trucks would have been destroyed. Enough that I have sold all my other trucks and will be putting a second revo together for my son.
    Revo 3.3 with Ofna Force .32
    Revo 2.5 stock