Thread: 700HO pinions?

RC Champion

Question 700HO pinions?

I've got a Kershaw Designs 700HO kit and I need to change the pinion gear to a 19T for some bigger tires. Could I just use one from a Summit? I want a cheap solution. Could I drill out my old stock 19Ts from the Titans to the shaft size of the 700HOs? Any help is geat
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Racer
    If you do this you must know that you have to switch to a 72t spur so the pinions will reach. The smallest pinion you can use on a 700ho without switching to a 72t spur is 24t. This was from Dan himself when I asked a similar question. I would email him and see what he says.

RC Racer
    You can fit 22 T pinion and the motor body will touch the gearbox case

you cant go smaller than 22T

I run these with big joe tires

RC Champion
    All right 22t it is but I still need to know what and where I can buy the cheapest one. But i want it to still be metal

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk
    All right 22t it is but I still need to know what and where I can buy the cheapest one. But i want it to still be metal
    I have no ideal where the cheapest is. I have always though KDs pinions are overpriced. Once you find one let us know.

Also if you start to have heating issues check out an esc fan. I know KD has a new one but there are a ton of options out there.

RC Champion
    Already bought that, he said it would extend run time. Would a Traxxas 775 pinion work with the 700 HO?

RC Champion
    Never mind, if your looking at the front of the truck the right motor mount hole to get the mesh right i have to have it touching the tranny so 25T is the smallest i can go, i don't know why it does that though

RC Racer
    The cans are huge and when mounting two motors there isn't much room. If you dremel the chassis a little bit or if you have an aftermarket chassis you can put the 72t spur on and those aren't expensive. Then you could put pretty much any pinion you want on their.

RC Champion
    Maybe i'll do that next year. I run regular maxx sized tires in the winter and using the stockers right now

RC Champion
    If i were to change to a 72t spur what pinion should i get? I have the 25t now and i could drill out the 550's 19t to the right size for the 700 HOs

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk
    If i were to change to a 72t spur what pinion should i get? I have the 25t now and i could drill out the 550's 19t to the right size for the 700 HOs
    Well the ratio is (spur teeth / pinion teeth) x 5.22 like it says in the manual. The lower the number the faster. Play around with that calculation and you may realize you might not want a 19t at all.