RC Enthusiast

can you make a homemade hump pack?

I was just wondering if any one had tried to make one.

Yes, you can. I have seen people make them with rechargeable aa's. It is probably best to use cells made for assembly though.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make one. I've never made a hump pack, but I would assume it's the same as making a sub-C cell pack. You would have to get some battery bars and maybe some heat shrink to protect the cells.
    O.S. 18TM, Jeep body, Ofna failsafe and Bandit VXL

RC Champion
    Dont forget the connectors, unless you butcher the AA wiring harness for its connector. By the time you buy the cells, the bars, the connector, and heat shrink + your time (I could be a fun project if you like doing stuff like this) then you can buy one premade for about the same price... And you know that you are buying a pack from someone that has experience making them...
    HPI Baja 5B
    T-maxx--->Going E ----> back to T

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I made mine with Energizer 2500Mah NiMH batteries. I had a bunch of connectors and wires laying around after making my 7-cell battery packs for my emaxx.

RC Champion
    www.cheapbatterypacks.com - They have everything you need, and it is cheaper than buying one, and not all that hard.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1daniel14
    www.cheapbatterypacks.com - They have everything you need, and it is cheaper than buying one, and not all that hard.

LOL!!!

Cheaper than making one i think!!!

Made one using 1800 mah AAA batts,was nice and small!!
    Jack of all trades,master of none!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I made a 5 cell AA 2700mAh hump pack myself - and it fits within the existing battery box. No need to buy those expensive packs at all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    IMO it would be best to just buy one. They are not really that expensive. I seen a new one sell on eBay for less than 10 bux. Besides, the most expensive part is the charger!
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    IMO it would be best to just buy one. They are not really that expensive. I seen a new one sell on eBay for less than 10 bux. Besides, the most expensive part is the charger!
    Hah I beg to differ. I bought a regular traxxas power pack charger off ebay for $5 shipped. It charges my batt in about 2 hours. Its not too shabby. I have a peak charger as well, but it can't be switched to charge at 1 amp which is why I bought something cheap like the traxxas charger.
    HPI Baja 5B
    T-maxx--->Going E ----> back to T

RC Champion
    Also, if you charge the battery at a lower rate, such as 1 amp, it should last longer. Plus, I wouldn't really mind waiting for the extra time for the battery to charge.
    O.S. 18TM, Jeep body, Ofna failsafe and Bandit VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Watched a video on youtube today, broke out the sodier gun and made one out of an new 6.0v 1100mah drill that I had laying around. It works very well.

I bought a regular traxxas power pack charger off ebay for $5 shipped.
    Wow, that's cheap. I payed like $25 for my Traxxas charger on eBay, it was when they first came out. It doesn't even charge 6 cell batts like the new one does.
    Time to go shopping! lol
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NStampede Freak
    Wow, that's cheap. I payed like $25 for my Traxxas charger on eBay, it was when they first came out. It doesn't even charge 6 cell batts like the new one does.
    Time to go shopping! lol
    did you get the adapter?? i just got a new 3.3 t-maxx and it came with a hump pack and the traxxas charger...i got a jato 3.3 first and i got a 5 cell flat pack for it..i paid 30 bucks.. i already got a traxxas charger on e-bay with a power supply for like around $15 shipped, to charge my easy start..so now i got 2 chargers 2 batteris..always good having back up's!!!!!!!!by the way will a 5 cell flat pack fit in the 3.3 t-maxx battery box? in case i run out of the hump pack wile running...my flat pack is 6v and like 1100mah i think...
    Last edited by Rich1101; 01-26-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    T-MAXX 3.3 ACNCM BBcHaSI...Jato 3.3..33the Best sb

I didn't get an adapter. It has been stated on this board that the older charger can't charge 6c batts.

The only way a flat pack will fit a maxx is if you remove the batt box and fasten the pack directly to the chassis.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I've been thinking about getting a spare hump pack. I hate not knowing when it's going to die and not having a charged spare.

I know Batteries Plus will make up battery packs, I've had them rebuild a few electric drill packs for me at half the price of new packs. They normally use better batteries than OEM drill packs.

What's the best/cheapest source of hump packs you all have found? I'd prefer the order above, a quality part from a good source, not just a cheap part. I think cheap batteries are false economy.
    T-Maxx
    Slash
    Inferno GT
    NTC3
    TC3
    JRX-S