RC Racer

wich slipper clutch assembly is better? old pede or new xl5??

my stampedes slipper clutch just gave way on me so i gotta either rebuild the current xl5 version one i have (slipper pads). but would it be better to convert back over to the slipper peg version (old pede)?? i hade a pede 3 yrs ago so im now familiar wiith both versions. wich one is better?

thanks

RC Champion
    How did it give way on yah. Supposidly it is better than the older version.
    LRP Novak MM5700 RPM Lunsford

I've been wondering the same thing.But I figure I haven't had any trouble with the pins and have seen a few of the new ones have trouble.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Racer
    i didnt rly give way , the pads just wore out. so i can either get a rebuild kit or get the old version.

and the new version w/pads is the "jato" slipper clutch assembly rite? thats what it ses in the parts list but in the specs on tower hobbies it ses revo???

RC Champion
    and the new version w/pads is the "jato" slipper clutch assembly rite?
    yes, the rustler slipper is the same as the jato
    -
    ~MM5700 Rustler ~ 2s 5000mah Lipo is 50.5 MPH~

RC Champion
    How long did your new slipper pads last?

I haven't wore out my pads yets. On my old school setup I ran diff balls instead of pegs and they would last a long, long, long time. The new setup does seem more solid and easier to work with.

RC Racer
    mine lasted about 3 or 4 months id say, but once i put the mamba in it they wore a little bit faster

RC Champion
    I also run diff balls in my old slipper. It pretty much doesn't wear out...
    [_] |||||||| [_]

My Rustler came with the pin clutch and I didn't like how hard it was on pins and gears, so I tried the diff balls and they stripped the spur each time. Converted to the new clutch and didn't have a problem until I got my lipo and actually snapped several teeth off. I bought a new one and it's all good now. I got some extra pads while I was at the LHS getting my new spur and they actually gave me the Revo clutch rebuild kit, but the pads are the same.

The only problem I have with the diff balls is that they can cut grooves into your slipper plates. But other than that, they do work pretty well and last much, much longer than the old pegs did. I haven't really seen the need for me to convert to the Revo spec slipper clutch. The original clutches have worked fine for me this long!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    i like the new one better, i had a pede about 3 years ago, i do not care for that sliper, it is kinda hard to put back together, also if you run the old sliper you must run an old pinion. also think about whitch style the hi-tech revo and jato run (new version) i would go with the new one
    change buildin codes, down with curbs!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdudevxl
    also if you run the old sliper you must run an old pinion.
    You run the same Pinion with either slipper setup. It's the Spur gear that's different.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by rcdudevxl
    i like the new one better, i had a pede about 3 years ago, i do not care for that sliper, it is kinda hard to put back together, also if you run the old sliper you must run an old pinion. also think about whitch style the hi-tech revo and jato run (new version) i would go with the new one
    Not to mention the new E-Maxx, a truck set up for modding to BIG brushless motors, uses it too. It's a no-brainer to figure out which Traxxas believes is better.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    Not to mention the new E-Maxx, a truck set up for modding to BIG brushless motors, uses it too. It's a no-brainer to figure out which Traxxas believes is better.
    yeah traxxas likes the new slipper set up way better because you can't get after market spurs for it. You have to use that bulky traxxas one. I like the old slipper because you have more choices for spurs and the option of using diff balls.
    Full FLM pede w/VXL power.

RC Racer
    i mean i dont mind the new spurs gears, i think that there actually rly simple to change unlike the old one
    FLM COMPLETE!

Quote Originally Posted by I Break Parts
    yeah traxxas likes the new slipper set up way better because you can't get after market spurs for it. You have to use that bulky traxxas one. I like the old slipper because you have more choices for spurs and the option of using diff balls.
    I agree with the last sentence. But look at the other (lesser) manufacturers. They are all going to a pad-type slipper clutch setup. Coincidentally, all these vehicles are getting more powerful. Cause or effect? I don't know. I do know that TRX can't patent that new spur enough to keep somebody from making an aftermarket spur if they so desire.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =