Thread: break in

RC Enthusiast

break in

when you first take a brand new xl5 2 wheel drive stampede out of the box is thare something you should do to break the truck in or the motor in and if thare is what is it and how do you do it

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    First the break in process, charge you battery pack and turn on your truck take it out on a decent sized patch of concrete then make straight lines up and down letting off the throttle when turning do this for 3-4 packs or about 2 hours I know it sucks but will greatly increase the life of your motor. Also it you are too tempted to go full throttle then put it training mode there is instructions in the quick start guide training mode also helps with homing you skill once that is done put it back into sport mode and have fun with the addiction.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

It's in the manual for break in procedure. The first thing I would recommend is to read the manual first then if you still need help we are here for you. The manual explains a lot of things most overlook.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    is thare any spare parts yall think I might need to pick up that the stampedesare known for needing

Depends on how well you can drive . I keep a set of RPM front a arms just in case. Extra spur gears for hard landings while staying full throttle (NoNO). A must is the Slash RPM front bumper it is wider and will protect better.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    wiil wheel bearings make a very big diffrence

RC Enthusiast
    thank yall for the advise im buying an xl5 in a couple weeks. I was asking about the whole break in subject because a buddy of mine baught one and he went thru 3 stock motors in about two weeks are the stocks motors pretty dependable or do thay last awhile

Bearings make a big difference there's less friction and allows the motor to perform at it's best. The Titans are durable if breakin and regular cleaning are done. Eventually you will want more and brushless will be waiting for you
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    what size or what traxxas part number are the wheel bearings on a stock xl5 stampede 2wd

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bweileman View Post
    thank yall for the advise im buying an xl5 in a couple weeks. I was asking about the whole break in subject because a buddy of mine baught one and he went thru 3 stock motors in about two weeks are the stocks motors pretty dependable or do thay last awhile
    Search YouTube for "How To Break In Your Brushed Motor." Lots of videos on breaking in the motor in water. I have also seen this recommended on other RC tech forums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMGfxv3034

I would assume this voids the motor warranty.
    Slash 4x4, E-Revo, Stampede 2wd (3 of them)

Quote Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
    Search YouTube for "How To Break In Your Brushed Motor." Lots of videos on breaking in the motor in water. I have also seen this recommended on other RC tech forums. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMGfxv3034

I would assume this voids the motor warranty.
    The water is used as an abrasive, cutting the brushes to their sweat spot very quickly, which is perfect when you need your motor for a race. But, you also shave a lot of life off of your motor by doing that.

The manual has a suggestion on how to break in the motor, but it is really vague. I just run the motor at about 1/4 speed for about 10 minutes (wheels off of the ground). After that, blow the motor out with some air, some light machine oil on the bushings and you are ready to rip.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

what size or what traxxas part number are the wheel bearings on a stock xl5 stampede 2wd
    The Traxxas part # for the bearings is TRA5116, you'll need 4 packages total, with two bearings per package.
    My life is busy, but I'm still lurking! 24 RC's

If you have not yet bought one, you might want to save for an extra little while and just go straight to the vxl edition. It will save you a bunch of money down the road. The vxl is much more durable, from the motor down to the steering and camber links and bearings all around. You will still want the bumper at the outset but most of the other stuff can be done once you break it. The vxl motor will also last for years not weeks and you will smoke your friend in any race!

RC Enthusiast
    thank you guys so much you have all been so helpful how do you guys like the new traxxas id battery and charger stuff whats you apinion on it versus the old conecter

RC Enthusiast
    and also I just started my profile yesterday and I cant figure out how to change my avatar pic

and also I just started my profile yesterday and I cant figure out how to change my avatar pic
    100 post/30 days to be eligible for an avatar.
    Stampede/Rustler

thank you guys so much you have all been so helpful how do you guys like the new traxxas id battery and charger stuff whats you apinion on it versus the old conecter
    I am not a fan of the ID's bought too many other's so no need for them and a charger to charge them. If all you are going to run is ID's and have not bought any Lipo's yet I would say great but they are pricier.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    i live in Indiana do you guys know of any rc tracks in indiana

RC Enthusiast
    are titan motors any good how long do thay last

RC Qualifier
    the titan motors are known to fail very fast if you do not gear it properly and if you bash with it.if you really want to stay with a brushed setup i would get a hpi racing brushed motor. same price as the titan but last much longer
    the only thing more fun than bashing is upgrading!

are titan motors any good how long do thay last
    Titans, just like the Stinger (a.k.a.: Stinker) it replaced, have to be broken in, and regular maintenance to get any real life out of the motor; even then, they are iffy and often fail. With Traxxas having a good brushed ESC (XL5), it seems funny that they wouldn't pair it with a better motor. The cost would only be a few bucks; even if it raised the price of the truck a little, I think most people buying an RTR would prefer to have a better motor.

RC Enthusiast
    what would be a good long life brushed motor that's affordable

RC poster
    Don't be afraid to start with the brushed Titan. I bought one for my son and it ran for 5 years on stock gearing. (And we didn't break it in) To replace it was less than $20. Of course, we know a little more now and properly broke in the new one.

RC Enthusiast
    thank you how did you go about brakng it in mkcx2

RC Enthusiast
    i just wanna thank you guys again you all have been so helpful

RC poster
    We have a Stampede and a Rustler and break in our motors with water. There are several videos on how to do this on YouTube. After breaking in we drench with WD-40 to remove all water then allow them to completely dry before adding a dry lube. Do some research and compare all methods to see what you are comfortable with. As someone has mentioned, Traxxas manuals advise a different method.

My feeling is that whatever style you adopt - stick with it. We clean our trucks after every run and perform regular maintenance. And it's worth saying again. We have had an XL-5 2wd Stampede for 5 years and never had a single maintenance issue with it. The only breakage has been when my son struck a tree at full speed breaking the chassis and servo. He was able to replace both himself at age 12.

RC Qualifier
    ^I wouldn't recommend using WD-40 to clean the Titan or any other electric motors to the OP or anyone else. It will just shorten the life of them. That's why there is a thing called electric motor cleaning.

Anyways to the OP so far I have good luck with Titans, my one 2nd cousin's P2de was running strong until I upgraded to a 4 Pole VXL combo recently so I can use his XL-5 for this one build I'm doing. Now I got a third 2nd cousin who's on the P2de bandwagon (he got one for Christmas from his parents).

This one is another XL-5 so now I'm back at doing proper maintenance of a brushed motor for a cousin. Unfortunately I have not gotten the chance to break in his Titan for him before he bashed so I hoping it will last long. I just replaced his bushings for Traxxas bearing I have not used yet, but right now I'm waiting for a STRC bulkhead as he and his dad just broke the stock one already.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    I had on of the first stampedes that traxxas came out with are the new ones any faster than the old ones

RC poster
    I will concede that an electrical parts cleaner or brake cleaner is better to use, but WD-40 will not harm motors or shorten life if used properly as part of the cleaning process (not the whole cleaning process). There is nothing inherently bad in WD-40 that will harm a motor. The down side of WD-40 is that it will leave a slight residue behind that could attract dirt over time. However, if one cleans their motor often enough this is a nonissue.

RC Qualifier
    I had on of the first stampedes that traxxas came out with are the new ones any faster than the old ones
    I can definitely tell you that the P2des with the brushless motors plus lipos (especially if using 3s) these days are faster, but for the comparison of the XL-5 to the originals there maybe be a slight increase in speed for the XL-5 since it uses nimh instead of nicd. I'm not really sure since I got into this hobby in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by MKCx2 View Post
    I will concede that an electrical parts cleaner or brake cleaner is better to use, but WD-40 will not harm motors or shorten life if used properly as part of the cleaning process (not the whole cleaning process). There is nothing inherently bad in WD-40 that will harm a motor. The down side of WD-40 is that it will leave a slight residue behind that could attract dirt over time. However, if one cleans their motor often enough this is a nonissue.
    Can't argue since I never done it, but I read that it can harmful to motors. Although I sort of agree what you're saying is that if the motor is thoroughly clean after spraying it with WD-40 before using it will not harm it, I won't take that chance.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    yea I don't think ill take that chance eather ill just pick up some electric cleaner and lube just to be on the safe side but I appreciate everyones advise and opinions keep them coming

yea I don't think ill take that chance eather ill just pick up some electric cleaner and lube just to be on the safe side but I appreciate everyones advise and opinions keep them coming
    Electric motor cleaner, blow it out with air, a drop of light machine oil on the bushings, comm drops on the brushes (if you have them), and reinstall...

RC Enthusiast
    ok cool is it very safe to get the stampede in the mud

ok cool is it very safe to get the stampede in the mud
    Sure, but you should clean and lube the motor after you are done for the day, and you will wear the motor out faster.

RC Enthusiast
    is 3in1 oil good to use on the motor

RC poster
    I actually just tried using 3in1 on my motor yesterday and it is making a nasty kinda burning smell so don't use 3in1 oil. And while you're at it, pray for my motor plz.
    Last edited by tylercrunchy; 01-08-2017 at 03:31 PM.

RC poster
    It is still making the nasty smell and its starting to make weird noises
    Last edited by tylercrunchy; 01-08-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Where on the motor did you apply the oil?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by tylercrunchy View Post
    It is still making the nasty smell and its starting to make weird noises
    Where did you put the oil? Sounds like you got it on the brushes, that's bad. You only need two small drops, one on each bushing.

Recommend cleaning the motor with electric motor cleaner, should get rid of the oil you put on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk