RC poster

Rustler vs Bandit?

Hi everyone, I want to get a new rc, and I have narrowed it down to two options. The Bandit and Rustler. What I would be doing with it would be jumping, and just plain bashing. I was wondering which one is better, and what should I get? Also, to be clear, I am not interested in the vxl options for both of these. The xl-5 is fine for me, and 35+ isn`t too bad. I would actually upgrade to the Castle creations sv3 combo later on, but the brushed setup would be fine for now.

Thanks for all your help.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    Hi everyone, I want to get a new rc, and I have narrowed it down to two options. The Bandit and Rustler. What I would be doing with it would be jumping, and just plain bashing. I was wondering which one is better, and what should I get? Also, to be clear, I am not interested in the vxl options for both of these. The xl-5 is fine for me, and 35+ isn`t too bad. I would actually upgrade to the Castle creations sv3 combo later on, but the brushed setup would be fine for now.

Ive driven both vxl versions and i have to say i personally prefer rustler for bashing it has this durabality feel and the bigger tyres and rife height just add to the jump and bash feel. I also like that bigger tyres give room to go over higher things e.g pavement

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thank you for the reply. I was honestly leaning on the side of the rustler. I thought that it might be better than the bandit, but I would also be doing speed runs, and I thought that the Bandit might be a little bit faster stock.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniSummit50Mph View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I was honestly leaning on the side of the rustler. I thought that it might be better than the bandit, but I would also be doing speed runs, and I thought that the Bandit might be a little bit faster stock.
    I'd say rustler, it just would work better offroad and could handle bigger, steeper jumps, it also looks cooler in my opinion

RC poster
    Thank you! I guess that I will get the rustler then.

Thanks for your help.

RC Qualifier
    The rustler definitly gives you some more flexibility where you can drive it. The longer rear arms and bigger tires makes a difference. You can very easily convert a rustler into a bandit and vice versa if you ever felt you wanted to. My rustler was originally a bandit

RC poster
    I think that I might have to pick one up soon Also, is the castle sidewinder sv3 a good combo?

I started with a Bandit which ended up as a Rustler. The Sidewinder 3 combos are quite good but if you want to be prepared to some serious overpowerment and the budget allows it, I would go for a Mamba X sensored combo.
    Nobody is born with experience

I think it's official- we need to make a Rustler vs. Bandit sticky.
    Proline Masher, E-Maxx Basher, Aton Crasher

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I like the Rusty. It is fantastic with the Castle Creations Mamba X ESC and Neu-Castle 2400kv motor running on 2S LiPo power.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I like the Rusty. It is fantastic with the Castle Creations Mamba X ESC and Neu-Castle 2400kv motor running on 2S LiPo power.
    What's your gearing with that combo?

Quote Originally Posted by dclive View Post
    What's your gearing with that combo?
    32 pitch: 15/58. I mostly use SMC 3S (11.1v) 4300mAh LiPo power and control my left index finger. 4S is insane. The truck has a nice long runtime and stays cool, even during brutal running in the summer.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    I would pick up a VXL Rustler if I were you. If the budget allows, I would highly recommend a brushless setup over brushed. Dont get the XL5 and wonder what might have been lol. A castle set up is also a good option but Im not sure I would over power it too much unless you plan on heavy off roading or speed runs. I run mine 26/83 on baseball fields and street on 3S and I cant keep the front wheels on the ground. Temps dont get too crazy either (160ish after 20 min).
    X-Maxx V2
    Rustler VXL
    Mk6 GTI 😎

RC poster
    Thanks for replying. I was thinking of going with the castle sv3 combo over the vxl. I looked and it says that it can handle up to 3s on 2wd trucks. I would most likely just be doing some jumps, and speed runs, but I definitely don`t need 70 mph either. The max I could even run would be around 50-60 mph because of space limitations.

I highly recommend the Castle system I noted in post #10. I have it in my two Slash 2wd trucks, my Stampede 2wd, and my Rustler. I run 3S LiPo most all of the time (as noted in post #12) for hours on end. After years of experimentation ($$$), I am exceedingly pleased with this system in these particular Traxxas RCs. Remember, you do get what you pay for.
    Obstacle Magnet

The 2400Kv Castle motor is awesome, but a bit tame on 2S. Not sure if you highly recommend it on 2S... I wouldn't.
    Nobody is born with experience

I am impressed with to 2s 25c 7.4V 5800mah battery. Fast and lasts a long time. I have 2 3s 11.1V 6400 and 1 8400mah I have not even used yet. I get 40 to 45 minutes from the 2s. Will be using the 3s sooner or later. Rustler VXL rocks!
    Last edited by lektro; 04-23-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Scotty from virginia beach

RC Competitor
    The bandit has almost no ground clearance and won't be very good for bashing, however it works pretty decent for racing. The rustler gives you the best of both worlds, as it makes a fine bashing car and racer.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input. I think I have decided to get the rustler for now

You made the right choice!
    Obstacle Magnet