RC poster

New motor options... Castle? Tekin? Sensored? Sensorless?

Good evening everyone... I just roasted the Velineon in my VXL Rustler. I have been doing short course racing but nothing sanctioned. It gets pretty hard core though and we're very competitive. My buddies are running the Castle Sidewinder SCT 3800. They love it. However, the more research I do points to the need for a sensored motor for racing equalling smoother power delivery etc etc. I have also seen posts that look down upon Castle and say to look at Tekin motors or HobbyWing motors. I am the type that wants my car to be engineered to perform. I DO NOT bash. Strictly run on clay tracks. What do the real racers out there recommend? Thank you all in advance for taking time to read, answer and help me make the best decision.

RC Enthusiast
    I am no veteren of rc's but I will share what little i have learned. My first replacement motor/esc was the castle sidewinder 3 with the 5700kv motor. First, the motor was WAY to fast for the track and everyone told me to gear it down. When i geared it down to a 16T pinion and 90T spur there was so much torque it tore my spur gear teeth of EVERYTIME I went out. Secondly, within a month the switch started to faulty. It wouldn't turn on always or would shut off immediately after the esc would chime. And also the esc would go into thermal shut down 2 or 3 times in one battery life. That was the worst at the track. My car stopping mid run. I will admit though, I never ran a fan on it because after the first week I knew I was going to end up getting rid of it.
    Maybe it was just mine but it turned me off of Castle. I met a guy who was a huge castle fan and he bought it off me as is.
    I am sure others have had great experiences with Castle as a company doesnt stay in business at that level without producing good products, and maybe their sv3/1410 3800kv combo is of better quality? I just thought I would share my experience with you.
    Last edited by fmcgregor; Yesterday at 10:47 PM.
    It all started with just one....more.

RC Enthusiast
    It kust seemed more like a bashers dream. Wheelie all day long.
    It all started with just one....more.