Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Eagle "Thing" Project begins

This all started a few years ago when I got this chassis in an auction that I originally thought was an eagle chassis but has turned out to be an aftermarket buggy chassis for (I believe) a TRX1. The holes match up exactly for the TRX 1 front bulkhead but I really wanted to run the SRT type suspension so I took a SRT bulkhead (same as the Stampede, Rustler nitro and electric models)and trimmed off about 3/32" from the bottom and the angled piece from the rear. I mounted it to the chassis just using the front two holes and then drilled two new rear holes in the bulk because the buggy bulkhead is not as wide from front to back. I mounted the SRT front and rear towers and ordered some RPM nitro Rustler front arms and some stock rear arms (Rpm decided to do away with the front shock mounts on their rear arms because they had no idea what they were there for )
    On to some pics of where I am now. (left as links due to size and for clarity)

chassis with modified front bulkhead ans shock towers installed
    old school Traxxas aluminum shocks (Pre Big Bore)
    cleaned up Trans case (someone painted it blue )

Now I am waiting on some parts and for some test results on my 18 month old daughter to see if I am going to have any time to spare. She has some problems with muscular development so I have been spending a lot of time at physical therapy with her. They may determine that it is just a matter of time for her or if there is a bigger problem. She will have a MRI of her brain on Monday and will have to be sedated. I always worry when they have to sedate any of my kids because my wife has had bad reactions to sedatives (not breathing and that kind of annoying stuff) but the worst with my kids so far was my 6 year old throwing up after her tonsils were removed. Wish us luck
    I race with the oldies!

How did you remove the paint?

Good luck!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Emery cloth and elbow grease. Some of the paint actually flaked off.

This truck is going to be pretty light so it should be a great rig for stock class. I am thinking 13.5 GTB

One more thing I want to make clear. This chassis "looks" like an Eagle chassis but is not. The front kick up section is narrower and drilled for a Buggy type front bulkhead like what comes on the TRX1 or TRX3. These are the same width as the Stampede/Rustler bulkhead, so it was MUCH easier to fit than it would be on an Eagle chassis. My main reason for going with the SRT suspension is parts availability. All of the parts are still made for the Nitro Rustler suspension which was based on the SRT suspension and uses the same parts except for the shock towers. Thanks Traxxas!!
    I race with the oldies!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like a neat project!

RC Qualifier
    gl and hf
    2- 2.5Tmaxx Jato2.5R Vintage: Bullet, Hawk, N-Hawk

RC Competitor
    I had a hawk which I converted with the eagle crash site chassis and suspension components. my friend also has the TRX buggy. The only difference between the two chassis is as you stated is the with of the front end. but they both use the same front arms and mounts. hopefully I will soon get a few pictures of my truck and my friends buggy posted.

RC Champion
    epriemel ;

which buggy does your buddy have? TRX1, TRX3, or Bullet

Yeah those arms are for the narrower mounts. I think the newer bulk that came out with the SRT is a little better designed than the Eagle front bulkhead. It allows shorter distance between arm mounts which is geometrically better for suspension travel. I have toyed with the idea of making my own chassis and using the older two piece front bulkhead like this one

mounting them as close together as possible and use a longer arm from something like an AE B3. This would take a lot of fab work and time messing with suspension components to get the right width, shock geometry and link positioning so i decided this was the way to go for me at this time. This will be pretty simple, and I have already done the only real modification needed. Everything else is just assembly and fine tuning.
    Last edited by LiveLarge44; 08-12-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Champion
    Ok, I just cleaned up the interior of the transmission case and replaced the old bearings with new. I put the Delrin Idler, steel top gear and an old Planetary diff in for a fit test and am very happy with how smooth this transmission is. I have to get some more of the old white transmission cases. I believe they were better made and quality control was better.

I have a 4620 Ball diff here that is a spare for my SRTs and ten or so diff gears for the 4620 that I use in the SRTs but will wait for ball diff that I have coming from a recent eBay auction that I think may be the 2520, which IMO is a better diff.

I am pretty excited about this project
    I race with the oldies!

RC Champion
    Ran into a little snag last night....Thought my eyes were playing tricks.

I decided to get busy rebuilding the shocks and got to the part where you remove the O-ring from the bottom of the shock body and guess what......

No O-ring...... Now I have to figure out what shocks these are and how to rebuild them, because they are not Traxxas shocks. Here is a larger picture of one.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../shocks002.jpg\

Any ideas???

They sure look like Traxxas shocks to me. I think Associated shocks also had the O-ring just like the Traxxas shocks.

After more research I have convinced myself that these are Associated shocks. Now I just need to go get a rebuild kit. It should come with the tool to remove the rubber rings and plastic washers. There is a slight difference in the shape of the body but other than that they look a lot the same as the old school Traxxas shocks.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-14-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: post merge
    I race with the oldies!

They look like Associated shocks to me! I had a pair that looked like that on a truck once...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those are indeed Associated RC10GT shocks, I used to have a pair on my Stampede, which is probably the one cooleocool is talking about too.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Champion
    First off thanks for the well wishes for my daughters MRI. It is pretty unnerving to have a stranger take your baby (I know she is 19 months.....She will always be my baby) from your arms knowing the first thing they will do when they get out of your sight is drug her ....... We made it through alright with just some crying (about 15 minutes) as she came off of the gas they used. We don't have the results yet but hope to soon.

Now back to the truck. I need some advice on turnbuckles.

The SRT calls for three pairs of 54mm turnbuckles which is really close to
    2 1/8" I know that I need 2 pairs ( I will have to wait for assembly to see about the toe links). Traxxas makes the new steel turnbuckles in 55mm length for the Bandit VXL and I don't think the 1mm will be a problem. These are $7.69 a pair as opposed to $11.29 for the Lunsfords. I have Lunsford turnbuckles on the Graphite SRT and love them. Are there any other good options out there?

I test fit a SRT Body on the chassis and it fits perfectly. Here is a pic

I race with the oldies!

I'd probably go for the Lunsfords, since there isn't a huge price difference. They make great turn buckles... haven't managed to bend a one of them.

Looking good!

PS: I'll keep your daughter in my prayers. I hope that it all turns out okay.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2007 at 09:02 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'd go with the Lunsford's too.

Looks good!

RC Champion
    My stuff should be here tomorrow. I am expecting some SRT goodies that I bought from a member here, and a couple of eBay auctions.

For the turnbuckles I have decided to go with the stock Traxxas ones and replace with Lunsfords as I bend them. I don't know how long this will last before I get fed up with them and bend them up myself. The little adjusting nut and wrench are so narrow it is hard to adjust when you are in a hurry, so I end up using pliers and chewing up the nuts.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Champion
    I have now finished the rebuild of my Associated shocks and have decided that I don't hate them.

I decided that I did not want to have to make any last minute orders so I set out my parts to see what I have.

Looks like all I need after I get my stuff tomorrow are

Traxxas part numbers

1939- LS2 pin set
    1953- Truck half shafts
    1726- Antenna tube

Associated parts

6473- shock bushings

for suspension on this truck I am starting with 30wt oil and associated Green springs on the rear and red up front I think I will use the 1.5 degree caster wedges to start with on the rear with the 0 degree rear arm mounts (I do have the 1 degree mounts if needed) I will start with about 1.5 degrees of toe in and 0 degree camber on the front The rear will have about 2 degrees of negative camber. The caster on the front is adjustable (you use the anti squat wedges) but I will leave it at the stock 30 degrees.

The shocks will be mounted just as they are in the SRT manual to start with.

I may have to "borrow" some suspension parts from one of my SRTs so I can hope to get this thing on the track for the race next Tuesday. I may wait for Friday just so I can get some track time in before the race. I expect this thing to perform well. It will be lighter than the SRT though and weight distribution might need a little tweaking so I will need the track time.
    Last edited by LiveLarge44; 08-16-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    I race with the oldies!

Looks like youre getting there! Those wheels should look pretty good on that truck!

RC Champion
    Yeah. I forgot one picture

I am still trying to decide between the Dynamite and the Novak ESC. I really like this little Dynamite. I think it was made for them by Tekin. I don't know the specs on it anymore but I used to run a 19 turn spec motor with no problems. I will be running this with a stock Trinity Monster Horsepower motor so I will be safe and if I decide to run spec class I have a Komodo Dragon here.
    I race with the oldies!

Those are some pretty nice spare parts... .

RC Champion
    I have a tub of new still in the package parts here. Most of it for the SRT, or TRX3. I even have a NIP SRT body here that is waiting for my painting skills to improve. A few years ago I won an auction that came with an Eagle box filled to the top with SRT parts that were all new in the package. I added up the prices on the packages and it came to $375. The auction cost me less than $80 with shipping and came with a complete SRT that I later sold for $100. Better than free parts.

Those wheels are the Traxxas light dished wheels part numbers 1972 and 1974. I needed to dye some RPM wheels for my son so I added a few sets for me. I love these wheels for racing and it is hard to beat $10 for a full set.
    Last edited by LiveLarge44; 08-17-2007 at 01:07 AM.
    I race with the oldies!

I have a Vintage Traxxas stock pile myself. Lots and lots of Cat stuff that I got for cheap and quite a bit of Bullet/Sledge Hammer stuff as well. If something breaks in the future, I wanted to be able to fix it. That's the main thing that bugs me about driving these older cars... I really don't want to break them.

RC Champion
    Another reason I like the SRT. There are few parts that you can't still find on tower.

These include

the body (lots of other bodys can be made to fit)
    rear shock tower ( If it came down to it you could use the Nitro Rustler tower but I have 2 NIP)
    Upper and lower Chassis (I have one of each NIP and one more of each after tomorrow)
    Motor plate and guard (3 NIP)
    Battery box (I have 3 NIP)
    and Transmission gear case ( no idea how you will wear one of these out or break one but I have 3 at least NIP)

The parts that you are most likely to need (suspension parts and gears ) are all still made although you may have to get one of the newer Ball diffs.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lookin' good! That's going to be a nice truck!

RC Racer
    Looks great so far! Did you dye the wheels? The black looks awesome!

RC Champion
    Spent some time on the project today.

I have rebuilt the diff, shimmed up and assembled the gear box, assembled the rear suspension, and got it all on the truck. I am now done with assembly from the mid point back and have started the front. I would be finished with it but ran into some suspension geometry problems. I am now getting full suspension and camber is correct. I get slight negative camber upon compression, which is what I like. I am getting excessive toe out upon compression. so it still needs a little tweaking. I will try to get some pics up this evening.

My three oldest kids are in a parade today so I don't know how much time I will get to play.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is the toe-out on the front or back?

RC Champion
    It was in the front. I have it all working correctly now. I will try and get some pics up this evening. All that is left is to decide which ESC I will use, and add the electronics. It might be a while before I get a chance to run it. I have been really busy with the baby.

Bad news....She has been diagnosed with Dandy Walker Syndrome Variant

Good news.....She has a very minor case that only involves muscle control in her lower trunk and legs. There is no cognitive involvement. With work she will most likely be able to overcome it and walk before she is 2 1/2 years old and be caught up to peers before entering grade school. There is a part we can play in her therapy so we don't feel helpless. We have already enrolled her in a dance school and they will work with her.. thanks for all the well wishes.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear that about your daughter. Hopefully she'll beat it!

RC Champion
    I think she will do fine with a little hard work from the team.

Now for some Pics

I am very happy so far.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that's nice looking. I want one.

What was causing the issues in the front end?
    Last edited by jmauld; 09-03-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Looks like it is coming along very well! Nice job!

Did you end up having the turnbuckles on the wrong side of something? That could have caused toe out when the suspension was compressed.

RC Champion
    No, There were three different places to mount the bell crank, I had to experiment with the three different types of bell cranks I had to choose from. When I first tried the one I have on there now, it had a carbon fiber link that tied the left and right sides of the turnbuckle together. This had the steering turnbuckles mounted too low. I could not find any way to get full travel. I tried a SRT bell crank, and could not get full right, or left turn, The holes were off, and I didn't want to make more holes, I tried the bell cranks for my TRX3, and had the same problem. I broke out the manual for the Eagle and it didn't have that carbon fiber link. I took that off and had much better luck with the turnbuckle. I then had to try all of the different mounting holes, and still ended up using some spacers to get the right height to allow full movement.

I kind of expected I would have to do a little tweaking in this area. Just the price to pay when you choose to modify the suspension so much.
    Last edited by LiveLarge44; 09-03-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Qualifier
    Any progress on this?

RC Champion
    Yeah, Its ready to go. There is a local track that is going to run a vintage stock motor class of mostly RC10Ts. I have a Revenge of the Monster pro Stock motor that I am going to run. I hope to get to the track on Thursday. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Champion
    Wow,glad to see I'm not the only night owl around here.

Have you had your creation out for any testing or will the races you're talking about be the critter's Test run?
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Can you get a picture of it with a body on it?

RC Champion
    Thursday is open track free run day. I will use it for setup and to get some practice time in. I have 2 bodies that will fit it. I really don't want to run my SRT body. It does look so much better than the stock Rustler body. I will get pics with both on it.
    I race with the oldies!

RC Qualifier
    yea i had an old messed up team associated buggy with the same shocks those shocks seemed good but the thing was a mess machanically so my dumb brother threw it out when he was cleaning one day but he saved the shocks out of all things lol

RC Champion
    I needed to take some time away for family, but now this thing is ready to go. It now has a stock motor, and old Novak Explorer ESC. I am pretty impressed with the performance so far. I am rusty and want to spend some time at the track with it in this form before getting a brushless system and Lipo batteries for it.

It is too dark for pictures so I will get some up in the next couple of days.
    I race with the oldies!

Nice project. Can't wait for the new pics. How is your daughter?

TK
    R/C Sith Lord