Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

I think my nitro stampede is messed up?

I just got a nitro stampede with the 1.5 pro engine. I just started to break the engine in today. And after the first tank everything was fine. But i notice that in the middle of the heat sink it bubbles a little bit while i start the truck.

Is this normal? I just took this thing out of the box and i am new to this. Also maybe i tuned it wrong? It says for tanks 2 thru 4 to turn the high speed needle in 15' clockwise. Maybe i turned it the wrong way?

Any help will be great.

In the book it says not to change settings while breaking it in. But on this page in the book it says to. Also there is a diagram. and it has lines in a circle do i just adjust the needle to the lines in this diagram.?

I'm so lost

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If it is bubbling around the glow plug, where the blue wire goes in the middle of the heat sink, check to see if it is loose. Your truck should have came with a tool for removing/installing the glow plug. Tighten it until it is snug.

When adjusting the needle, do not use the lines in the diagram, you have to approximate the amount of degrees of turn based on where the needle started from the factory.

RC Racer
    Mine did the same exact thing...I think my pictures of it still may be on this site somewhere. I went through a couple glow plugs till I got it to stop bubbling. Just be carefull when tightening it...it's very easy to strip out a head and once you've done that then you're even worse off than some little bubbles comin out. Try to get through your break in period with the bubbling then once you're done change out the glow plug because chances are your original plug will be shot anyways.

RC Qualifier
    Guys i give up this thing keeps messing up. I have no idea what it's called but some metal bar was hitting a wire and it burnt it a little bit

Don't give up! You'll get through this! Take a deep breath... see... that's better now isn't it!

Okay. You say metal bar? What does it connect to or look like?

RC Qualifier
    It's the bar the moves when u push the trigger up on the controller. When i pushed the trigger up the bar hit the wire and was burnin git. I did not touch anything. The wire was that close to it from in the box.

I's the bar with a spring on it. Also when i start it up the motor sounds like it's running max without even pushing the trigger to give it gas. It sounds like its going to blow up.

I love rc cars. But maybe gas powered is not my thing i had a blast when it was working. Also i am not really good on the degree thing. So i really don't know how far to turn the needle.
    Last edited by Ethereal Corpse; 08-06-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer
    Do you know where the wire connects to that you're hitting with that bar? BTW, the bar is called the throttle linkage, the spring is the return spring that makes the throttle come back down when you let off the gas. Don't get frustrated man...I took my new pede to hobby people and they had never seen anything like what mine was doing before. I had fuel leaks from places that shouldn't have even leaked fuel. All traxxas said in their email was they couldn't talk about it via email and that I would have to call them. That's when I jumped on here and with the help of the people on the forums I was able to figure things out. As I said before, the bubbling from the top of your head out your glow plug will go away when you put a new plug in there, but like I said I wouldn't replace it till after your done breaking the engine in. I remember the two wires (I think red and black) that go to the ez start system were in the way a lot so I took a ziptie and tied them up to the right rear body post so they'd stay out of the way. Come to think of it, I believe they were actually the wires that go to the little pack where you put your 4 "AA" batteries into. Try ziptying your lines so they're away from all moving parts, then turn your car and radio on but don't start it. Move the throttle forwards and backwards and watch the servo (little box that the linkage is attatched to) and check to see if it goes all the way forward and all the way backwards. Make sure your wires aren't getting caught up in it, then do the same for your steering. there shouldn't be any wires up near your steering servo, but just make sure it works the way it's supposed to. Try that out and let us know your results so we can go from there.

As for the degrees for turning on your breakin...this picture may help. It's very crude but it'll show ya how much to turn the adjustment screw

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-06-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    It's the red wire connected to that big metal round thing looks like a battery. Looks like something to do with the ez start. No idea. Also guys thanks for all this help. I really can't move the wires out of the way cause there pretty tight. The only think i can do is push them down a little bit.

Also do u think the red wire will be ok? It only burnt the plastic a little. It's the thicker red wire.

That is probably one of your EZ start motor wires. I highly doubt that the smooth throttle linkage would wear through it any time soon, but I'd probably keep it away from there some how.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Did you get it fixed?
    stampede/sidewinder 5700 axial ax10 3905 e-maxx

RC Qualifier
    I got it running yes. But the blue hose that runs to the gas tank is touching the engine. Will it melt it over time? The hose is to tight to move it. it's not the fuel line.

The ez start wire was starting to burn when the trottle level was pushing on the red wire while i was trying to start it then it started to burn.
    Last edited by Ethereal Corpse; 08-07-2007 at 04:49 PM.

RC Racer
    The blue hose is most likely the one that comes from the back of the engine on the exhaust manifold. It provides pressure to the gas tank that basically pushes the gas through the fuel line that goes to the carb. I didn't have any problems with mine burning but I did have a problem with mine leaking...a lot! I actually ended up replacing the stock fuel lines with aftermarket stuff, something a little more rubbery. If you go that route it's only like $2.50 at your LHS for 3 feet of fuel lines. That'll give you plenty enough to extend it out so it's not touching your motor and not getting too hot. I'll post up a picture of the way I routed my fuel lines so you can see what the differences are. It would be wise to replace the factor lines because if you feel them, they're more plasticy than rubbery. Your hobby shop will have more rubbery lines so they'll stay on the little barbed fittings better and you can zip tie them on so they'll never come off.

I have that heat shield protector on that line.

RC Qualifier
    Ok guys i took it to my lhs. And the glow plug was bad. I bought some more hose just incase. I have one more question the guy at the lhs said it was running to hot. And to be careful. I told him it was new. Do you guys know the blue wire that connects to the glow plug for the ez start? The guy at the lhs while putting the glow plug in tore the black casing off the wire. He said it was ok this way?

Also i was reading how to use after run oil. Do i just put 4 drops in the carb and let the engine turn for 10 secs?

The guy at the lhs got it running so it wouldnt stall.

Also when reoiling the air filter the guy at the lhs said that i can use afterrun oil on the aire filter . Just to get it wet with the oil then sqeeze it?

Cooleocool how do you get your stampedes egine to cut off? I have a heck of a time getting it to shut off.

I bought mine used, so I don't know about any black casing...

I'd put some after run in the glow plug hole as well. I actually just use WD-40...

Don't use after run oil for the filter. I use regular motor oil...

I pinch the fuel line to get it to turn off, but I usually run the last tank out of fuel, so I don't often have to worry about it.

RC Qualifier
    Just regular motor oil? The type for cars? I was going to buy some at the lhs but this guy said it would work. But i will go back to the lhs and buy some oil. So wd-40 won't work for the air filter either? So i take the glow plug out all the way then use the after run oil in there? Also is this a must?

Yup... regular motor oil. I usually have some laying around... WD-40 for filter oil would not be good!

RC Champion
    Air filter oil needs to be thicker and stickier than WD-40 to collect debris, but not get sucked into the carb.

As for the black casing, are you talking about the wrap on the "Spring" type thing at the very end of the blue wire that actually connects to the plug? That is pretty easy to tear, but it won't hurt anything really. But it wouldn't hurt to replace it every once and a wile if it gets damaged too bad.

It is a VERY wise desicion to always use after run oil, so your engine won't lock up.
    My Rusty drives on 2 wheels...am I a evolutionist?

Is it like a black shrink wrap type deal? What is it there for? (Like I said... I don't have one! ).

As for the after run... yes, it is VERY important! Not doing after run could lead to a world of engine troubles!

I'd check out this video, Ethereal. It should help you out with the after run and such! (The engine is different, but the same principals apply.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoLFuoL09ko

RC Champion
    Yes, actually I think it is shrink wrap, I don't know its purpose though, maybe for better grip??? Here is what it looks like:

Ahh... okay. Thanks for taking that picture! I haven't notice any issues with out it, so I'd guess it's fine.

RC Racer
    Yeah I think I ripped my shrink wrap the second time I touched it...just rewrapped it with electrical tape a couple times and all's good now.

I haven't wrapped it with anything! Probably should, I suppose... now that I actually know something was there!

RC Racer
    I was just more afraid, coming from an automotive field, that it would start arcing if nothing was there. Since there's no actual spark going through it then it's not really a huge deal.

RC Enthusiast
    the black casing is actually just some electrical shink wrap. my wire after about 20 tanks i noticed the blue wire pulling out of the connecter and it rubbed on the head enough to show wire through the blue. i just shrink wrapped the whole wire in 2 tubes of shrink wrap and im sure ill never have a problem with it again =)

just keep with it breakin will always have a few pains but after that its all fun 8)

i just shrink wrapped the whole wire in 2 tubes of shrink wrap and im sure ill never have a problem with it again =)
    Extra fuel tubing over the glow plug wire works wonderfully!

RC Champion
    So, Ethereal C., what is the status on your truck? Is it still running running? Is it tuned? Do you still have any problems or still need help?

RC Qualifier
    It seems to be running fine. I am on the 5th tank of gas. The only problem i'm having is it seems to stall when i try to run it at full speed.

Do you mean it's cutting out or is it more like bogging down?

RC Qualifier
    It might be cutting out or bogging down. I really have no idea. Sometimes it's hard to start other times it will start everytime. I can run it for a few mins But when i try to run at full speed the engine dies

You need to try and figure out which it is... that way you'll know whether to richen it or lean it. My guess is that it's probably too lean. It's probably cutting out at throttle. Watch this video... there's some cutting out at speed to demonstrate a lean HSN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEGjExP9GkM

RC Racer
    Mine did the same exact thing, so when I took it to the hobby shop and had them tune it for me they had to go like 5 more of those little 8th turns, so basically just over a half a full turn...it's that rich from the factory. I had gas pouring out of my exhaust before I got it over there lol. Just keep tuning, a temp gun would really come in handy if you've got one right now. My guess is you're just giving it way too much fuel just like mine...sofar since the first time you've started it you've had the same symptoms as I've had on mine and it doesn't sound like much has changed! Just give it time, if you've got a local hobby shop take it down there and they'll tune it within 10 minutes and you'll be down the road again never to worry about those problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal Corpse
    It might be cutting out or bogging down. I really have no idea. Sometimes it's hard to start other times it will start everytime. I can run it for a few mins But when i try to run at full speed the engine dies
    Turn it towards rich 1/8 turn, if it gets worse, then turn it 1/4 turn lean.

RC Champion
    If you don't have afterrun oil you can use wd40. Does the pro.15 have a low-speed needle? If so lean it out 1/8th to 1/2 a turn.
    RC enthusiast!

The Pro .15 does have a LSN.

RC Champion
    ya, if your idle screw is set correctly just lean the lsn. I just had the same problem with my 2.5.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    Guy's i'm getting very frustrated. This thing is giving me a headache. I took it out today started it up. Everything went great for about 5 mins on half speed. Then when i tried to run full speed the engine cut off. I followed the video. But still can't run it at full speed without it cutting out. I see smoke when running it so i know it's not to lean. And also sometimes it will take forever for the ez start to start the engine. It will start for a sec then die. I think my idle screw is set fine cause it don't move when the truck is running.

And how hot can a .15 get? Mine seems to be running very hot.

I really like it when it works but when it don't it gets to be a pain

RC Champion
    Dying out at high speeds, not starting, and running hot are all signs of running it too lean. I believe 270 is the max temp. for the pro .15. It is a little frustrating at first, but you will get the hang of it eventually.

And just a little smoke doesn't mean it isn't too lean, there should be a nice blue trail of smoke behind the truck.

RC Qualifier
    When setting it back to factory settings. How may times do i turn the needle?

Is this how to set it back to factory settings?

Try shutting the needle by turning it all the way clockwise, be sure not to over tighten it, the HSN is plastic. Then turn it counter-clockwise 4 full turns. The LSN should be flush with the inside of the bracket it is attached to.
    Last edited by Ethereal Corpse; 08-12-2007 at 09:38 PM.

RC Champion
    no, for the HSN tighten it untill it stops then only back it off 2 1/2 turns counterclock wise.