RC poster

Blast - How do you remove the motor?

Two questions:

First, I am an RC (everything) boat newbie.

(1) I think the 540 Stinger 20-turn motor may need to be replaced. The radio seems to be OK as the rudder control works fine and the green light on the ESC works when the speed control on the transmitter is engaged. I tested the motor with a direct hookup to the battery and it did not run at all. My problem is that I am not sure how to remove the motor for testing or replacement. I have removed the entire board containing motor, electronics, etc. I have removed the shaft coupling, but but I am worried about tugging on the motor and trying to pull it off. I’m wondering if those nuts on either side of the motor shaft need to be removed? If so, how do I do that? What am I missing?

(2) I have a second identical boat (I bought 2 for racing) which runs fine, but I noticed the ESC is loose. Is it just glued on to the board? If so, I would assume any good waterproof glue would work?

Last edited by fsagames; 02-01-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Add photo

Quote Originally Posted by fsagames View Post
    (1) I think the 540 Stinger 20-turn motor may need to be replaced. . . . I’m wondering if those nuts on either side of the motor shaft need to be removed? If so, how do I do that? What am I missing?
    Those are screws and they both need to be removed; then the motor will come right off. All you'll need is a 2.5mm hex key to unscrew the motor screws.

(2) I have a second identical boat (I bought 2 for racing) which runs fine, but I noticed the ESC is loose. Is it just glued on to the board? If so, I would assume any good waterproof glue would work?
    The ESC is probably just stuck in place with double stick tape. I wouldn't use glue, as that would be difficult to remove in the future. I would use double stick tape or velcro to reattach the ESC.

Welcome to the forums, by the way!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome. It looks like it's necessary to remove the receiver box to get to the motor screws, and I guess then the receiver will have to be re-sealed? I didn't realize those were hex screws until I looked at the exploded view and checked the part numbers for the screws. I sent an email with the same questions to Traxxas and the support rep said to use 2-sided servo tape for the ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by fsagames View Post
    I guess then the receiver will have to be re-sealed?
    The receiver box is sealed with a gasket.
    I sent an email with the same questions to Traxxas and the support rep said to use 2-sided servo tape for the ESC.
    Yup, servo tape is double sided tape. I use strong double sided tape (3M) vs. spending more money for the precut servo tape.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle